China’s virus deaths rise to 80 when Hong Kong bans Wuhan visitors

Share on facebook
Share on google
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin

SHANGHAI: The death toll from China’s new coronavirus grew to 80 on Monday when residents of Hubei province, where the disease originated, were banned from entering Hong Kong amid global efforts to stop the rapid outbreak propagation

The number of deaths from the flu-like virus in Hubei province increased from 56 to 76 overnight, health commission officials said, with four deaths elsewhere. The total number of confirmed cases in China had increased by approximately 30% to 2,744.

The futures of the e-mini S & P500 of the USA. UU. More than 1% fell in Asian trade on Monday due to growing concerns that the outbreak of the virus could seriously affect the Chinese economy, an engine of global growth.

At the start of the Asian trading day, New Zealand shares fell with travel and tourism related actions among the worst performers, as the speed of the outbreak spread aroused the alarm about its future impact on the movement.

The Chinese cabinet said it would extend the Lunar New Year’s weekend vacations by three days until February 2 in an attempt to curb the spread of the virus. The city of Wuhan, in Hubei, the epicenter of the outbreak, is already under virtual blockade, with severe movement restrictions in other Chinese cities.

Beijing has called for transparency in crisis management, after public confidence was eroded by the cover-up of the spread of SARS, a coronavirus that originated in China and killed almost 800 people worldwide in 2002 and 2003 .

The newly identified coronavirus has created an alarm because much is still unknown about it, how dangerous it is and how easily it spreads among people. It can cause pneumonia, which has been fatal in some cases.

The virus, which is believed to have originated in a seafood market in Wuhan that illegally sold wildlife, has already spread to cities such as Beijing and Shanghai.

HONG KONG BAN, GLOBAL EXAM

The World Health Organization (WHO) last week did not call the outbreak a global health emergency, but some health experts question whether China can contain the epidemic.

WHO Director General, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, said on Saturday he was heading to Beijing to meet with officials and health experts dealing with the coronavirus.

“My colleagues at @WHO and I would like to understand the latest developments and strengthen our partnership with China to provide greater protection against the outbreak,” he said on Twitter.

Hong Kong, ruled by Chinese, has six confirmed cases and said it would ban Monday’s entry to people who visited Hubei Province in the last 14 days. The ban does not apply to Hong Kong residents.

Airports around the world have intensified China’s passenger control, although some health officials and experts have questioned the effectiveness of these efforts.

France, Italy, Japan and the United States said they were working to evacuate Wuhan citizens.

France said it hoped to repatriate a few hundred of its 800 citizens living in the Wuhan area. Evacuees would have to spend 14 days in quarantine to prevent the spread of the virus in France.

Hubei Governor Wang Xiaodong told a news conference on Sunday that he felt “agonizing” and responsible for the outbreak. He described the situation as severe and said medical supplies were still scarce.

Comments

comments

.

image source

NewsDesk

NewsDesk

Instant News Team work hard to deliver the best news instant to our respected visitors for the verified sources

Leave a Replay

Sign up for our Newsletter

Get The Latest News #InstantLy

Powered by google ai !