A seventh child who contracted a mold infection at the Seattle Children’s Hospital died

Share on facebook
Share on google
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin

Elizabeth Hutt, a five-month-old girl, had been battling an Aspergillus mold infection for months and “just couldn’t beat it,” her family said Thursday in a statement through their attorney, Karen Koehler.

Last year, the hospital confirmed that you are patient who developed the same Aspergillus infection have died and many others have been ill since 2001. The main operating rooms were closed, first in May and again in November, after the hospital detected common Aspergillus mold in the air.
Elizabeth’s death on Wednesday comes weeks after the family has joined lawsuit brought against the hospital on behalf of the families of patients who have been ill from the mold. As early as 2005 hospital managers knew that the transmission of Aspergillus to its premises could be linked to its air treatment system, and claims that the hospital was engaged in “a cover-up designed to reassure its patients, doctors, nurses, and public opinion that its premises were safe, while in reality they were not. “

The boy was born in August in a Tacoma hospital but was transferred to the Seattle Children’s Hospital the following day for “treatment of underdeveloped left heart and other related conditions,” according to the cause.

She may have been infected during an open heart surgery in August and a second surgery she had in November to deal with a complication, says the cause.

“The wonderful doctors and staff at Seattle Children’s Hospital worked hard and compassionately to save our baby’s life. But her healing chances were taken away when an operating room infected her with Aspergillus mold.” the family said in their statement Thursday.

“He grew up inside her and he just couldn’t beat him. He should never have suffered so much. We are shocked as we wait for the administration’s answers as to why their building has been allowed to harm our baby and many other children.” , added the statement.

Reached Thursday by CNN, a hospital spokesman did not confirm the death but responded with a statement:

“Losing a baby is incredibly devastating for everyone whose lives have been touched by that baby,” says the statement. “Our deepest condolences go to families and loved ones who have suffered a loss. Out of respect for the privacy of our patients and their families, Seattle Children will not share any further information.”

The rare fatal consequences of mold

Aspergillus is a common mold in which most people breathe without getting sick, but it represents a greater risk for those with weakened immune systems or lung diseases, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Health problems can include allergic reactions, lung infections and other organ infections.

Previous mold infections in hospitals have also had fatal consequences.

Mold played a role in five deaths between 2014 and 2016 in two hospitals in the University of Pittsburgh medical center, according to a 2017 report. Those patients were exposed to the Mucor and Rhizopus mold.

Those who died from the infection were transplant patients. Both the hospital and the facility that managed the hospital’s linen tested positive for mold, according to the report.

Gregory Lemos of CNN contributed to this report.

.

image source

NewsDesk

NewsDesk

Instant News Team work hard to deliver the best news instant to our respected visitors for the verified sources

Leave a Replay

Sign up for our Newsletter

Get The Latest News #InstantLy

Powered by google ai!