CAIRO: The Egyptian Ministry of Health announced on Friday the first confirmed case of the new coronavirus in Africa.
The victim was not Egyptian, the ministry said in a statement, without specifying nationality.
“The ministry has taken preventive measures and is monitoring the patient … who is stable,” said health ministry spokesman Khaled Megahed.
Egyptian authorities notified the World Health Organization and the patient was quarantined in the hospital.
The death toll from the epidemic virus has approached 1,400 cases, almost exclusively in China, where it was first identified.
Deep commercial links with China and often overloaded health systems have raised concerns about the ability of African countries to respond to an outbreak.
Earlier this month, Egypt suspended all flights of its national airline to China. They will remain punished until the end of the month.
Three hundred and one Egyptians were evacuated from Wuhan, the epicenter of the virus in China, and have been in quarantine for 14 days.