ISLAMABAD: Federal Minister of Science and Technology, Fawad Chaudhry, said Friday that regulating social media is of public interest, ARY News reported.
In his tweet, Fawad Chaudhry said, one cannot criticize the United States of America (USA) and the United Kingdom (United Kingdom) for strict regulations, but for Pakistan, some elements want zero regulation.
regulating social networks is a requirement of perfect public interest … never criticized the US. UU. and to the United Kingdom for really stricter regulations, but for Pak you want zero regulation, it is also imperative that companies under Pak economic laws be imperative https://t.co/IQV6SdNxoD
– Ch Fawad Hussain (@fawadchaudhry) February 14, 2020
The minister also wrote that it is imperative to register companies under Pak’s economic laws and that the law on the regulation of social networks was passed during the mandate of Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N).
Read more: Social media platforms will be ‘responsible’ for harmful content
OBLIGATIONS OF THE COMPANY OF SOCIAL MEDIA AND SPECIAL MEASURES
According to the order, social media companies must meet the demands of the social media coordinator that may include the following:
- The mentioned website must remove objectionable content within 24 hours of notification.
- If the content is considered extremely insensitive, the social media platform must remove the notified object within 6 hours.
- Social networks must maintain the religious and security sensitivities of the region in which they operate.
- Social networking websites must ensure the reduction of content related to extremism and / or hate speech.
- Stop the influx of fake news and live broadcasts that could compromise national security.
It has also been revealed that social media giants are headed to open offices in Pakistan soon enough and register with the government