Oklahoma Moore High School tragedy: third runner dies after truck hit members of high school track team

Moore public schools confirmed the death of Elder Kolby Crum his Facebook page. Kolby’s family issued a statement through the school district.

“He finished his run in heaven this morning,” said the family statement.

Superintendent Robert Romines said in a statement that the school district has “joined even more” to support the district’s family. Moore is a city south of Oklahoma City.

“Kolby left his legacy with us – that of kindness, strength and inspiration,” wrote Romines. “I ask that you also continue to support our students who have been injured and are recovering physically.”

The driver of the pickup truck that hit the students, Max Townsend, 57, was arrested about three blocks away immediately after the accident, police said. He is detained in F. Dewayne Beggs detention center in Norman, Oklahoma, on 13 charges, including two first-degree manslaughter charges. His bond is set at $ 1.2 million.

Three students died, three students are being treated in hospital

Students were hit around 3:30 PM on February 3, and preliminary information indicates that they were on the sidewalk at the time, police sergeant Moore said. Jeremy Lewis.

In addition to Crum, two other affected students died:

  • Yuridia Martinez, in her second year, died from her injuries on February 4th.
  • Rachel Freeman, a senior, died on the spot on February 3.

Freeman intended to sign a collegiate cross-country scholarship, according to Dustin Horstkoetter, school district security director.

The three injured students are:

  • Joseph White, an elderly man, was discharged from the hospital on February 6. He suffered several broken bones, a bruised lung, a concussion and a cerebral hemorrhage, according to the affiliate of CNN KFOR.
  • Shiloh Hutchinson, a young man suffered a broken arm, leg and ankle, and was discharged from hospital on February 6, KFOR reported.
  • Ashton Baza, a second-year student who was discharged from a hospital on February 3 after being treated for a fractured leg and ankle.

The pickup truck driver’s son died the day before he hit the students

Townsend’s 29-year-old son Max Townsend Jr. died on February 2 in an accident in Moore, Lewis said.

The younger Townsend vehicle “hit a vehicle, ending up hitting a telephone pole, capsizing, and that’s what” killed him, said Lewis.

After hitting students on February 3, Townsend was arrested about three blocks away, Lewis said.

“There were signs of impairment due to the … field sobriety test we gave him, which was part of the investigation … and because he was arrested,” said police chief Todd Strickland last week. .

As Townsend faces the 13 charges, “they can and will likely change, especially when the conditions of the victims change,” said Lewis.

CNN contacted the Cleveland County District Attorney to determine if additional charges were made, if Townsend has legal representation and when he will be in court.

Jason Hanna, Konstantin Toropin and CNN’s Hollie Silverman contributed to this report.


image source

Facebook Comments

Leave a Reply