The judicial battle was the latest hurdle hindering the combination of the third and fourth largest wireless carriers in the United States, after the Justice Department and the Federal Communications Commission approved the deal last year.
“After a thorough analysis, New York decided not to go ahead with an appeal in this case,” said James in a statement Sunday. “Instead, we hope to work with all parties to ensure that consumers get the best prices and services possible, that networks are built across our state and that well-paid jobs are created here in New York.”
California attorney general Xavier Becerra’s legal team, who co-led the case with James, is currently reviewing the court’s ruling and options, a Becerra advisor told CNN Business.
States have argued in court that getting rid of smaller actors would reduce the incentive for all three major companies to implement price cuts and other consumer benefits.
But Judge Marrero stated in his ruling that he did not imagine that companies “would pursue anti-competitive behavior”. He also said he believed Sprint would stop being a sustainable player without the merger and that Dish would bridge the competition gap created by the deal.
On Sunday in his statement, New York Attorney General James noted that she is “gratified” by the fact that T-Mobile has committed to creating jobs in Rochester as part of the deal.
“We are committed to continuing to strive for affordability and access for all New York mobile customers,” said James.
The merger could be finalized in early April. A new website has been launched to promote combined companies on NewTMobile.com.