Capital One was hacked, the corporate has disclosed. The breach was first found on July 19th.
A discover in regards to the information breach is at the moment being broadcast from the corporate’s dwelling web page.
Right here’s what we all know to date:
- Capital One believes the breach uncovered bank card utility information for individuals who’d utilized between 2005 and 2019.
- The corporate says this works out to roughly 100 million people within the US, and 6 million in Canada.
- The info leaked probably consists of “names, addresses, zip codes/postal codes, telephone numbers, electronic mail addresses, dates of delivery, and self-reported earnings” of those that’d utilized, in addition to info like “credit score scores, credit score limits, balances, fee historical past, contact info”
- Capital One is estimating that roughly 140,000 social safety numbers have been probably compromised within the US, in addition to 80,000 linked checking account numbers. In Canada, roughly 1 million Social Insurance coverage Numbers have been compromised.
- Transaction information for “a complete of 23 days” unfold throughout 2016/2017/2018 was obtained
A discover from the US Division of Justice says that Seattle engineer Paige A. Thompson was arrested in reference to the breach this morning. The discover says that Capital One was alerted in regards to the breach by a GitHub consumer who noticed one other consumer posting about it on the location.