Two US soldiers killed in Nangarhar attack

Two US soldiers were killed and six others wounded by an Afghan soldier armed with a machine gun, the US army confirmed on Sunday.

The deaths occur at a delicate moment in the 18-year war, with President Donald Trump eager to bring troops home and end the longest conflict in US history.

The incident occurred Saturday night at a base in Sherzad district, in Nangarhar province, east of Afghanistan.

“Current reports indicate that an individual in an Afghan uniform opened fire on the combined US and Afghan forces with a machine gun,” US and Afghan forces spokesman Sonny Leggett said in a statement on Sunday.

The defense ministry said an Afghan soldier was killed and three local security forces were injured during the shooting, adding that an investigation had begun while promising to continue fighting “terrorism” with the United States.

“Incidents like this have no negative effects on friendship and the spirit of cooperation and between the military forces of ANDSF and the US,” the ministry said in a statement.

Provincial governor Shah Mahmood Meyakhil had previously said that it was not immediately clear whether the incident was a deliberate act of an “infiltrate” or an accident.

“It was not a clash between the forces. We are investigating, ”said Meyakhil.

Leggett also emphasized that the cause or motive behind the attack was not immediately known.

In a tweet, the Seventh Group of Special Forces of the US Army. UU. (Airborne) said that “several” of his soldiers had been killed or injured during combat operations in Afghanistan.

According to Sherzad resident Najeebullah, who has a name, shots were heard coming from a base of nearby Afghan security forces on Saturday night, followed by immediate air evacuations.

“We heard the shots and immediately helicopters landed inside the base and evacuated the victims,” ​​Najeebullah added.

No group immediately claimed responsibility for the incident.

Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid then declined to comment on the incident, saying in a message sent to AFP only that the insurgents were “investigating” the attack.

The US special envoy, Zalmay Khalilzad, has been negotiating with the Taliban for approximately 18 months for an agreement that would see the Pentagon withdraw thousands of troops from Afghanistan.

Many are skeptical about the proposed deal and Trump himself declared “dead” talks in September amid Taliban violence.

Since then, negotiations resumed in Qatar.

Comments

comments



image source

Trump renews his vote to withdraw from Afghanistan

The president of the United States, Donald Trump, renewed his promise on Tuesday to negotiate a withdrawal of troops from Afghanistan, saying he did not want to kill “hundreds of thousands” in endless fighting.

In one of his few foreign policy points in a very partisan speech by the State of the Union to Congress, Trump offered his blessing for the ongoing negotiations with Taliban militants.

“I am not looking to kill hundreds of thousands of people in Afghanistan, many of them totally innocent,” Trump said in the joint session of Congress.

“Nor is it our function to serve other nations as a law enforcement agency. These are war fighters, the best in the world, and they want to fight to win or not to fight at all, ”he said.

“We are working to finally end the longest war in the United States and bring our troops back home.”

Trump has long questioned the wisdom of keeping troops abroad and has described the war in Afghanistan started after the attacks of September 11, 2001 as a leak of blood and treasures.

But last year he said abruptly that he had canceled a summit not previously announced at the Camp David presidential retreat with the Taliban due to an attack that killed an American.

He later allowed veteran US negotiator Zalmay Khalilzad to resume talks, which had taken place for months in Qatar.

Under a draft agreement, the United States will withdraw troops and the Taliban will commit to not allowing extremists to use Afghanistan as a base, as well as to engage in talks with the internationally recognized government in Kabul.

– Little foreign approach –

Trump spoke loudly before the leftist leader of Venezuela, Nicolás Maduro, inviting his rival Juan Guaidó to watch the speech from the gallery.

But his speech focused little on foreign policy, not to mention North Korea, a year after Trump used the State of the Union to announce his second summit with the leader of the state with nuclear weapons, Kim Jong Un.

Trump only briefly mentioned his pro-Israel plan for the Middle East, which he announced last week with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu after more than a year late.

In Iran, Trump highlighted his campaign of pressure against the clerical regime and boasted of the controversial attack he ordered last month that killed Iran’s best-known general, Qassem Soleimani.

“Because of our powerful sanctions, the Iranian economy is doing very badly,” Trump said.

“We can help them to be very good in a short period of time, but they may be too proud or too dumb to ask for that help.”

Trump in 2018 withdrew from an internationally backed nuclear agreement negotiated under his predecessor, Barack Obama, and imposed radical sanctions aimed at reducing Iran’s regional influence.

Comments

comments



image source

Passenger plane crashes in the central Afghan province

KABUL: A plane operated by Afghanistan’s state airline Ariana crashed in the country’s central Ghazni province, senior Afghan officials said Monday.

Arif Noori, spokesman for the provincial governor’s office in the city of Ghazni, said: “A Boeing aircraft belonging to the Afghan airline Ariana crashed in the Sado Khel area of ​​the Deh Yak district of Ghazni province around the 1:10 pm local time. “

The number of victims was unclear, a second official told Reuters.

However, Ariana Airlines denied reports of any plane crash. The airline announced on its Facebook page that all reports about the accident are false.

قابل توجه هموطنان عزیز! خبری که مبنی بر سقوط یک فروند طیاره د آریاناافغان هوایی شرکت در تعداد از رسانه ها نشر گردیده حقیقت نداشته, تمامی پرواز های دآریانا افغان هوای شرکت به شکل نورمال انجام شده است!

Posted by Ariana Afghan Airlines on Monday, January 27, 2020

This is breaking news. Check back later for more information.

Comments

comments



image source

Afghanistan’s Ghani on observe for second time period: preliminary ballot outcomes

KABUL: Afghanistan’s President Ashraf Ghani appeared to have secured a second time period Sunday, after election officers introduced he had scored a slim majority in preliminary outcomes from polls that had been marred by low turnout.

Ghani’s obvious clear win, nonetheless, was unlikely to instantly quell the controversy swirling across the September 28 ballot, along with his prime rival Chief Govt Abdullah Abdullah vowing to contest the consequence.

Afghanistan’s Impartial Election Fee (IEC) stated Ghani had gained 50.64 p.c of the vote, simply besting Abdullah, who scored 39.52 p.c, and sufficient to keep away from a second-round runoff.

Candidates now have three days to file any complaints they might have earlier than last outcomes are introduced, in all probability inside a couple of weeks.

As quickly as outcomes had been introduced, Abdullah’s workplace stated in a press release he would contest them.

“We want to make it clear as soon as once more to our folks, supporters, election fee and our worldwide allies that our group is not going to settle for the results of this fraudulent vote until our respectable calls for are addressed,” the assertion learn.

Ghani’s workplace didn’t instantly remark, however the president was on account of give an deal with at 5:00 pm (1230 GMT).

Preliminary outcomes had been initially due October 19 however had been repeatedly delayed amid technical points and allegations of fraud from varied candidates, significantly Abdullah.

“We, with honesty, loyalty, duty and faithfulness accomplished our responsibility,” IEC chairwoman Hawa Alam Nuristani stated.

“We revered each single vote as a result of we needed democracy to endure.”

– Complaints process –

The protracted limbo between the vote and the preliminary consequence heaped further uncertainty on Afghans who already are anxiously awaiting the result of talks between the US and the Taliban.

The UN Help Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA), which supplied assist to electoral authorities, welcomed the announcement of preliminary outcomes and referred to as on the Electoral Complaints Fee to pay attention fastidiously to any grievances.

“The ECC has an obligation to adjudicate any complaints it receives transparently and completely so the election course of could conclude in a reputable method,” UNAMA head Tadamichi Yamamoto stated.

The election was meant to be the cleanest but in Afghanistan’s younger democracy, with a German agency supplying biometric machines to cease folks from voting greater than as soon as.

However issues instantly emerged, with allegations of vote stuffing, unlawful voting and different fraud coming nearly as quickly because the polls had closed.

Practically a million of the preliminary 2.7 million votes had been purged owing to irregularities, that means the election noticed by far the bottom turnout of any Afghan ballot.

In the end, only one.eight million votes had been counted, a tiny quantity contemplating Afghanistan’s estimated inhabitants of 37 million and a complete of 9.6 million registered voters.

Many individuals stayed away amid Taliban vows to assault polling stations, compounded by voter apathy and despair that any politician can ever enhance the lot of the common Afghan.

Thirty-one p.c of votes had been forged by ladies, the IEC stated.

Abdullah has repeatedly cried foul over 300,000 votes the IEC counted despite the fact that his group claims many of those ballots had been pretend or had been forged outdoors of polling hours.

His obvious loss to Ghani makes Abdullah a three-time loser and his future in authorities is unsure as he has dominated out one other power-sharing cope with Ghani.

Feedback

feedback



picture supply

US to announce 4,000-troop drawdown from Afghanistan: media

The Trump administration will announce as early as this week plans to withdraw round 4,000 troops from Afghanistan, US media reported.

Talks between the US and the Taliban resumed per week in the past because the events sought a path to cut back violence and even attain a ceasefire.

They have been paused by Washington on Thursday after an assault close to a key US air base north of Kabul that left two civilians lifeless and dozens injured.

There are 13,000 US troops at the moment in Afghanistan.

NBC on Saturday cited three present and former US officers as saying the Trump administration intends to announce the drawdown of 4,000 troops from Afghanistan.

Two of these mentioned among the troops could be redeploying early, whereas others wouldn’t get replaced after they finish their time period.

CNN cited one official within the Trump administration as saying the announcement on a drawdown might occur this week, however that the “timing stays in flux.”

In accordance with a draft settlement from September — reached after years of negotiations — the Taliban could be required to decide to sure safety measures, comply with talks with the Afghan authorities and promise a discount of violence in change for US troop withdrawal.

US President Donald Trump insisted final month on the necessity for a ceasefire and made a shock go to to Bagram on November 28 to have fun Thanksgiving with troops and meet Afghan President Ashraf Ghani.

Trump has beforehand indicated he desires to wind down US army entanglements overseas the place attainable.

Feedback

feedback



picture supply

Washington Put up claims America saved mendacity on Afghan Battle

An article showing within the notable, Washington Put up on Tuesday claimed that the American hierarchy stationed at and liable for dealing with the Afghanistan conundrum, ‘tousled’, ARY Information reported.

The article goes on to assert that the American authorities saved mendacity in regards to the scenario on-ground within the warfare torn land of Afghanistan which has been a warfare entrance for the us for greater than a decade.

Learn Extra: Peace talks with US restarted from the place they had been prior, says TTA spokesperson

The information organisation has additionally claimed that it has gotten its fingers on a treasure trove of confidential paperwork which have given credence to their claims.

Detailing the confidential paperwork, the information organisation claims that the papers encapsulate the explanations of America’s failure within the lengthy, drawn out warfare which has raged on until date.

Learn Extra: US lawmakers attain deal on large protection invoice

The leaked paperwork additionally entail thorough interviews of serving and retired generals, ambassadors and Afghan officers who’ve seen your complete operation unravel earlier than their very eyes.

One of many interviews by a former colonel who served American pursuits in Afghanistan earlier than his switch went on report stating that navy males had been modified and faraway from their designated roles and positions to place forth a manipulated picture of the warfare we had been shedding.

Feedback

feedback



picture supply

Powered by google ai !