Canada very concerned about rail protests, rules out sending police

OTTAWA: The liberal government of Canada said Friday that it was deeply concerned about protests by aboriginal activists who are blocking some key rail lines, but rejected a call to send to the police.

Indigenous communities opposed to the construction of a pipeline project in British Columbia began interrupting rail traffic last week. Canadian National Railway Co, the largest railway operator in the country, is closing operations in eastern Canada.

“I am deeply concerned about the protests that deliberately prevent the operation of the railroads through illegal activities,” Transport Minister Marc Garneau said at a press conference.

“It is about people’s work and livelihoods and the transport of key supplies such as food, propane, heating fuel and chemicals for water treatment (and) agricultural products for export,” he said.

The Association of Port Authorities of Canada said some ports were rejecting vessels and that shippers were beginning to redirect part of the cargo to the United States. Superior Propane, the largest propane supplier in Canada, forecasts that critical supply shortages will begin in the next few days.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau acknowledged what he said had been “a really difficult week,” but rejected opposition calls to deploy the Royal Canadian Mounted Police to end the protests.

“Obviously we are not the kind of country where politicians can tell the police what to do in operational matters,” he told a news conference in Munich, Germany.

“We will ensure that every effort is made to resolve this through dialogue and constructive results.”

Trudeau came to power in November 2015 with the promise of improving relations with indigenous bands in Canada, many of whom complain that they are marginalized and economically private. Although some groups claim to have a veto on economic development in their lands, a court said last month that they did not have that right.

The two cabinet ministers in charge of aboriginal affairs are preparing to meet with local indigenous bands in the provinces of Ontario and British Columbia.

Comments

comments

.

image source

Indigenous protests against pipelines spread throughout Canada

OTTAWA: Indigenous protests against a new pipeline in western Canada increased across the country on Tuesday with major train interruptions, port blockades and sitting in government offices.

In recent days, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police moved to enforce a court order and eliminate the original protest that blocked work on the Coastal Gas Link pipeline opposed by the hereditary leaders of Wet’suwet’en in British Columbia .

That caused others in solidarity with the bosses to try to “close Canada”, which caused major disruptions in transportation and dozens more arrests by the police.

On Tuesday, a major rail line connecting Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal was closed, forcing more than 20,000 passengers on Via Rail to cancel trips.

Canadian National Railway told local media that it would also close “important” parts of its Canadian network unless the rail lines were cleared.

Dozens were arrested Monday for trying to block access to the port of Vancouver in the Pacific, while on Tuesday there was another protest in the Atlantic port of Halifax.

Meanwhile, in Toronto, a few dozen protesters took over the constituency office of Crown Minister of Indigenous Relations Carolyn Bennett, demanding that the “RCMP go back” and that the pipeline of Can $ 6 billion (US $ 4.5 billion), 670 kilometers (415 miles) to be scrapped

In Ottawa, a group occupied the lobby of the Department of Justice.

And in Victoria, a circle of protesters surrounded the British Columbia legislature, preventing access by lawmakers.

Transportation Minister Marc Garneau said the government was concerned about the “illegal interruption” and significant rail services.

“We hope this will be resolved as quickly as possible because it is having an important impact on the country’s economy,” he said.

Protests on train tracks “could also be dangerous,” he added.

Comments

comments



image source

Royal runaways’ media warfare follows them to Canada

LONDON: Prince Harry and his spouse Meghan might have stop Britain for a quieter life in Canada however their battle with the media has adopted them to the brand new entrance line.

Harry believes “highly effective forces” in Britain’s tabloids are waging a ruthless propaganda warfare to vilify his US former actress spouse — and he’s hitting again by the attorneys.

Having struggled with media scrutiny since their Could 2018 marriage ceremony, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex deserted their royal roles this month in a bid for a calmer and extra unbiased life.

However their bombshell departure has made them much more of a narrative — and media, together with paparazzi photographers, have now flocked to their Vancouver Island getaway.

Their attorneys have already issued warnings to the press over footage of Meghan out strolling the canine close to their luxurious seafront house.

After a slew of damaging tales within the British press, the couple are attempting to grab higher management of the narrative.

However they aren’t shunning all publicity — removed from it.

The Sussexes will preserve working with their non-royal patronages, however now intend to work with hand-picked media solely.

Meghan has already made a few visits to girls’s charities in close by Vancouver, whereas they proceed posting content material on Instagram, the place they’ve 11 million followers.

Their success in turning into financially unbiased from the monarchy by creating their very own business earnings will largely rely on them remaining sizzling property.

‘Cloud cuckoo land’

Ian Murray, govt director of the Society of Editors, which campaigns for press freedom, stated the couple couldn’t management media scrutiny.

“If Harry and Meghan had stated: ‘we need to withdraw utterly from public life and sometimes seem for good causes’, I feel they’d have achieved their goal however they appear to need to have their cake and eat it,” he advised AFP.

Harry is “residing in cloud cuckoo land” if he thought press relations would magically enhance by him stepping away from representing his grandmother Queen Elizabeth II and transferring to Canada, stated royal biographer Penny Junor.

She stated the state of affairs may change into worse now they’re not within the royal fold, the place pooled media entry to engagements is facilitated by a long-agreed system.

With out that stream of content material, information and film desks would possibly look elsewhere.

“The press may be much less respectful than they had been earlier than,” Junor, the writer of “Prince Harry: Brother. Soldier. Son. Husband.”, advised AFP.

Worsening relationship 

The 35-year-old prince, who’s sixth in line to the throne, has at all times had a tumultuous relationship with the press, which he blames for the dying of his mom.

Diana, princess of Wales died in 1997 in a automobile crash. Harry was 12 on the time.

A truce between the papers and the palace meant Harry and his brother Prince William had been left alone whereas they had been nonetheless in schooling, in return for a handful of pooled picture alternatives.

However afterwards, Harry shortly changed into a tabloid favorite together with his social gathering way of life and repeated misdemeanours.

He served 10 years within the British military, together with two excursions of responsibility in Afghanistan, and afterwards based the Invictus Video games for wounded veterans.

Harry was praised as a modified man who had discovered his calling.

“He recognised not solely that he may do good issues together with his title — but in addition that he wanted publicity to do these good issues and {that a} good relationship with the press was essential,” stated Junor.

The prince’s relationship with Meghan was welcomed throughout the board by the press, however media relations quickly started to deteriorate.

Studies appeared of employees being unable to work with the “duchess of inauspicious”.

When their son Archie arrived in Could 2019, they introduced that Meghan had gone into labour hours after the child had truly been born, infuriating newsdesks.

The couple’s animosity in the direction of the press spilled over into authorized motion in October final yr, with Harry suing over alleged voicemail interception and Meghan submitting a declare over a personal letter to her father Thomas Markle showing in The Mail on Sunday (him having proven it to the tabloid).

“They’ll have to simply accept that their way of life will proceed to go underneath scrutiny,” stated Murray, including that they had been residing near the US border.

“The American media are totally different; they’ve a vigorous journal market,” he stated.

“There might be an urge for food there and world wide for footage and tales about them.”

Feedback

feedback



picture supply

False alarm units off nuclear scare in Canada

An alert signaling an incident at a serious nuclear energy plant close to Toronto was despatched “in error” to tens of millions of residents Sunday, inflicting a scare and prompting requires an investigation.

The emergency alert went out shortly earlier than 7:30 am (1230 GMT). Although supposed for residents residing inside a 10-kilometer (six-mile) radius of the Pickering Nuclear Producing Station, it went to all Ontario residents.

About an hour later, the Ontario Energy Era firm that manages the nuclear plant introduced on Twitter that the alert was issued by mistake.

“There may be NO energetic nuclear scenario happening on the Pickering Nuclear Producing Station,” it mentioned.

“The earlier alert was issued in error. There isn’t a hazard to the general public or setting.”

One of many world’s largest nuclear energy crops, the Pickering facility is positioned about 50 kilometers east of Toronto, Canada’s most populous metropolis, with three million inhabitants.

A number of native officers, together with Pickering mayor Dave Ryan, instantly demanded an investigation of the incident.

“Like a lot of you, I used to be very troubled to have acquired that emergency alert this morning,” Ryan mentioned on Twitter.

“Whereas I’m relieved that there was no precise emergency, I’m upset that an error akin to this occurred. I’ve spoken to the province and am demanding {that a} full investigation happen,” he mentioned.

Toronto mayor John Tory additionally referred to as for a probe, saying space residents had been “unnecessarily alarmed by this occasion.”

Feedback

feedback



picture supply

‘Many questions’ stay about Iran’s capturing down of airliner: Canada

OTTAWA: Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau on Saturday stated questions stay about Iran’s downing of a Ukrainian airplane that killed all 176 aboard, together with 57 Canadians, and that he anticipated full cooperation within the ongoing investigation.

Iran stated earlier on Saturday that it shot down the airplane in error.

“Canada and the world nonetheless have many questions, questions that should be answered,” Trudeau stated in a information convention.

“It’s completely mandatory that Canada take part on this investigation. We count on the complete cooperation of Iranian authorities,” he stated.

Although Canada has not had diplomatic relations with Iran since 2012, Trudeau spoke to Iranian President Hassan Rouhani earlier within the day after Rouhani had stated the navy’s capturing down of the airplane had been a “disastrous mistake”.

Rouhani dedicated to collaborating with Canadian investigators, working to de-escalate tensions within the area, and persevering with dialogue, Trudeau stated.

Trudeau stated a “full and full” investigation is essential in figuring out whether or not the downing of the airliner had certainly been a mistake, and he stated compensation by Iran to the households ought to be “a part of the combo”.

Learn Extra: Iran admits downing Ukrainian airplane ‘unintentionally’: state TV

Trudeau stated he informed Rouhani that Iran’s admission that it unintentionally shot down the passenger jet was “an necessary step”, however he added that extra steps should be taken to have “full readability on how such a horrific tragedy may have occurred.”

Saying he was “livid” and “outraged”, Trudeau added: “Canada won’t relaxation till we get the accountability, justice, and closure that the households deserve.”

Feedback

feedback



picture supply

Trump administration strikes ahead rule to import medicines

NEW YORK: The Trump administration on Wednesday stated it’s proposing a rule to permit states to import prescribed drugs from Canada, shifting ahead a plan introduced this summer time that the president has stated will carry cheaper prescribed drugs to Individuals.

Importation of medicine from Canada as a technique to decrease prices for U.S. shoppers has been thought-about for years. Alex Azar, secretary of the Division of Well being and Human Companies (HHS), known as the transfer “a historic step ahead in efforts to carry down drug costs and out-of-pocket prices.”

He stated HHS would additionally supply steerage to drugmakers that want to voluntarily carry medication that they promote extra cheaply in overseas international locations into america on the market right here.

Each pathways for importation have been introduced in July when Azar unveiled a “Protected Import Motion Plan.”

Azar couldn’t present an estimate as to how quickly Individuals may begin receiving medication from Canada. He stated the proposed rule would wish to go by means of a 75-day remark interval earlier than being finalized.

“We’re shifting as shortly as we presumably can,” he stated.

Governors of states together with Florida, Maine, Colorado, Vermont and New Hampshire have already expressed an curiosity in importing medication from Canada as soon as the pathway to take action is absolutely in place, he stated.

The proposal faces opposition from giant U.S. pharmaceutical and biotech firms.

The Canadian authorities has additionally criticized the plan. The nation’s ambassador stated final month that importing medicines from Canada wouldn’t considerably decrease U.S. costs. Reuters beforehand reported that Canada had warned U.S. officers it might oppose any import plan that may threaten the Canadian drug provide or elevate prices for Canadians.

Medication accepted to be imported from Canada would exclude many prescription drugs, comparable to biologic medication, managed substances and intravenous medication.

Trump, a Republican, has struggled to ship on a pledge to decrease drug costs earlier than the November 2020 election. Healthcare prices are anticipated to be a significant focus of the marketing campaign by Trump and Democratic rivals vying to run in opposition to him.

The Trump administration in July scrapped an bold coverage that might have required well being insurers to go billions of {dollars} in rebates they obtain from drugmakers to Medicare sufferers.

Additionally in July, a federal choose struck down a Trump administration rule that might have pressured pharmaceutical firms to incorporate the wholesale costs of their medication in tv promoting.

Each the Home of Representatives and the Senate are placing forth drug pricing payments that include a few of the proposals Trump has advocated for, comparable to indexing public drug reimbursements to overseas drug prices. Nevertheless, Trump has stated he’ll veto the Democrat-led Home invoice if it involves his desk, on the grounds that it might decelerate innovation.

Feedback

feedback



picture supply

Powered by google ai !