The governments of France, Germany and Britain on Monday condemned the attempted air strike in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
“E3 – France, Germany and Britain – strongly condemns the attempted air strike on Riyadh on January 23, 2021,” the three countries said in a joint statement.
“The proliferation and use of missiles and drones undermines the security and stability of the region, which is our strong commitment,” the statement added.
“We reaffirm our strong attachment to Saudi security and territorial integrity.”
The Saudi-led coalition in Yemen said Saturday that it shot down an aerial target that was fired at the Saudi capital, Riyadh.
The coalition did not provide further details, but Saudi media said the target was a missile fired by Houthi rebels in Yemen.
There were no comments from the Houthis on the report.
Rebels siding with Iran have repeatedly announced rocket and drone attacks on Saudi territory in response to what they say are Saudi-led attacks on Yemen.
Yemen has been wracked by violence and chaos since 2014, when Houthi rebels overran much of the country, including the capital Sanaa. The crisis escalated in 2015 when the Saudi-led coalition launched an air campaign aimed at rolling back Houthi territorial gains.
According to the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs, the conflict in Yemen has so far claimed the lives of 233,000 people.