Category Archives: uk

Charles: The royal family is ‘very grateful’ for the world’s support | National | Instant News


LONDON (AP) – Prince Charles of England paid a heartfelt tribute to “dear Papa” on Saturday as Buckingham Palace presented an outline of the royal funeral that the family will attend and broadcast around the world.

As Queen Elizabeth II and other relatives mourned, Charles offered a private video message saying the royal family was “ very grateful ” for the outpouring of support they received after the death of her 99-year-old father, Prince Philip, on Friday. The heir to the throne said he was touched by the number of people around the world who have shared the loss and sorrow of their families.

“My dad is a very special person who I think, above all, will be amazed by the reactions and touching things that have been said about him,” said Charles, speaking from his home in Highgrove in southwest England. “And from that point of view we, my family, are very grateful for all of that. It will sustain us in this special loss and in these very sad times. ”

Philip’s royal ceremonial funeral will take place April 17 at Windsor Castle – a leaner service amid the COVID-19 pandemic that is completely closed to the public. The palace insists the royals will strictly adhere to national virus guidelines, steps that would in theory require the use of masks in confined spaces and social distancing. The palace declined to comment specifically.

Philip, the husband of the 73-year-old queen who is also known as the Duke of Edinburgh, co-planned her own funeral and focused on family according to her wishes. Duke also took part in designing a modified Land Rover that would carry his coffin.

“Despite the reduced ceremonial arrangements, the occasion will still celebrate and acknowledge the life of the duke and more than 70 years of service to the Queen, England and the Commonwealth,” a palace spokesman said Saturday while speaking on condition of anonymity. with policy.

Prince Harry, Philip’s grandson who resigned from royal duties last year and now lives in California, will attend services in Windsor along with other members of the royal family. His wife Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, is pregnant and has been advised by her doctors not to travel far to England.

Another absentee was Prime Minister Boris Johnson, whose office said he would not attend because current coronavirus restrictions limit funerals to 30 people, so staying away would “ allow as many family members as possible. ”

The Palace advised the public not to gather in Windsor or at Buckingham Palace in London to pay tribute to Philip – advice that many ignore.

Earlier on Saturday, military teams across Britain and on ships at sea unleashed 41 guns to mark Philip’s death, honoring a former naval officer they considered one of them.

Batteries in London, Edinburgh, Cardiff and Belfast – the capitals of the four nations that make up Great Britain – as well as other cities around Great Britain and the Mediterranean outpost at Gibraltar open fire at one-minute intervals starting at noon. The ships including HMS Montrose, a frigate that patrolled the Persian Gulf, paid their respects of their own.

“The Duke of Edinburgh served among us during the Second World War, and he remains in the service of the Royal Navy and the Armed Forces as a whole,” General Nick Carter, chief of defense staff, said in a statement. “A life well lived. His Majesty left us with a legacy of unshakable passion, fortitude and an unshakable sense of responsibility. “

Members of the Commonwealth, a group of 54 nations led by the queen, were also invited to honor Philip. The Australian Defense Force began saluting at 5 pm outside Parliament House in Canberra, and New Zealand plans to pay its own tribute on Sunday.

Philip joined the Royal Navy as a cadet in 1939 and had a promising military career. In 1941, he was honored for his services during the battle of Cape Matapan off the coast of Greece, when control of spotlights aboard the HMS Valiant allowed warships to pinpoint enemy ships in darkness. Philip rose to the rank of commander before he retired from active duty.

Two years after the war ended, Philip married Elizabeth at Westminster Abbey when he was 21 and she was 26. Philip’s naval career came to an abrupt end when King George VI died in 1952 and his wife became queen.

At the queen’s coronation in 1953, Philip vowed to become his wife’s “living and limb” and remain in the life of supporting the king. The couple has four children – Charles, heir to the throne, Anne, Andrew and Edward.

Prior to retiring from official duties in 2017, the prince conducted more than 22,000 solo public meetings and supported more than 780 organizations, including the Duke of Edinburgh Award for youth.

Community members continue to honor Philip’s service life, leaving flowers on Saturdays outside Buckingham Palace and Windsor Castle.

“I think everyone wants to pay their respects,” said Maureen Field, 67, outside Windsor Castle. “Because of the virus, a lot of people have to stay away. He didn’t want a big funeral. He wanted some very private time with his family to say goodbye. So, we all have to respect that. “

Mike Williams, 50, traveled from his home in Surrey, southwest London, to Buckingham Palace in honor of the prince.

“He’s been a huge loss for the country and the world, I think, so we want to come and pay our respects,” said Williams. “I don’t know what was accomplished, but it feels like the right thing to do.”

Associated Press writers James Brooks and Tom Rayner contributed.

Copyright 2021 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.

.



image source

Iran will impose a 10-day shutdown amidst the 4th wave of the COVID-19 pandemic | Instant News


Iran has reimposed restrictions with a new 10-day lockdown in most countries on Saturday, in a bid to limit the spread of the fourth wave of the COVID-19 pandemic, Iranian state media reported.

The lockdown affected 23 of the country’s 31 provinces, said health ministry spokesman Alireza Raisi. Business premises, schools, theaters and sports facilities have been forced to close and gatherings are prohibited during the holy month of Ramadan which starts Wednesday.

Iran’s coronavirus cases have surpassed 2 million with new ones a daily average of more than 20,000 infections ended the past week, according to the health ministry. It has reported more than 64,000 deaths.

“Unfortunately, today we have entered the fourth wave,” said President Hassan Rouhani in his televised remarks. He blamed the surge on a variant that first emerged in Britain that spread to Iran earlier this year from neighboring Iraq.

Other factors include extensive travel, weddings and celebrations during the Iranian New Year holiday which starts on March 20, he said.

The British variant is now dominant in the country, and 257 cities and towns are on standby, Raisi said.

Iran has become the epicenter of the pandemic in the Middle East. In February, they closed several crossing points with Iraq in an attempt to stem the spread of the British variant.

Vaccination efforts in the country have also been slow. Tehran says it has received more than 400,000 of the 2 million Sputnik V vaccines ordered from Russia, and is awaiting delivery of 4.2 million AstraZeneca injections.

It has also received 250,000 doses of China’s Sinopharm vaccine and is part of an order for 500,000 doses of COVAXIN India.

With a population of 83 million, Iran hopes to get more than 2 million vaccines by March 20 to vaccinate mainly healthcare workers. It is developing at least four local vaccine candidates – one that had human trials last year and one cooperating with Cuba – which is expected to reach production in a few months.

.



image source

Prince Harry will travel back to England for Prince Philip’s funeral next week | Instant News


The Daily Beast

Matt Gaetz Appears at Trumpy Summit to declare ‘I was built for battle’

Joe Raedle / Getty After 10 days of relentless development in the Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-FL), Republic of Florida resurfaced late Friday to ignore most of the latest and damning reports and offer MAGA boilerplate defense and applause lines. “made for combat, and I’m not going anywhere,” Gaetz told attendees at the Save America Summit at Trump Doral in Miami, Florida. As Gaetz tries to dismiss reports that he is being investigated for paying women for sex – including, most likely, minors – Gaetz does not seem to see any irony in tackling the event hosted by “Women for America First”. Instead, he claimed that the reports were “slander” and “wild conspiracy theories” promoted by “fake media”. As the sun sets over one of Trump’s golf clubs, Gaetz is celebrated as a hero and “fearless leader.” Accused of Sex Trafficking, Later Teenage Congressman started by spewing out the lie that “the 2020 election was stolen” from former President Donald Trump, because of “a change to the rules.” He then moved on to the “America First” amplifier before saying that the last week had been “full of encouragement.” But beyond the warm confines of Trump’s other properties, the list of Gaetz scandals is growing and increasing. Just hours before Gaetz spoke on Friday, the House Ethics Committee announced that it was also opening an investigation into the “public accusations” against him – and a usually short press release offering a list of complaints. that Matt Gaetz Representatives may have engaged in sexual misconduct and / or drug use, shared inappropriate images or videos on the DPR floor, misused state identification records, altered campaign funds for personal use, and / or accepted bribes / inappropriate gratuities, or unauthorized gifts that violate DPR regulations, “the Committee wrote in a letter. However, no one attended the” Dinner and Drinks with Rep. Matt Gaetz “will know that he has the potential to fight for his political future and, more importantly, his freedom. He delivered the most readable speeches at Trump’s rallies over the past four years. Yet, while Gaetz continues to associate himself with the Trump brand, Trump. Matt Gaetz’s Scandal Will Be Destroyed As The Daily Beast reported last weekend, the former president’s adviser pleaded with Trump not to publicly defend Gaetz, at least until more is known about the truth of allegations regarding sexual relations with a 17-year-old teenager. girls and federal investigations. For the most part, Trump has personally agreed with that advice, and various Trumpworld figures, members of the Trump family, and top Republicans and conservative media stars have kept their mouths shut about the Gaetz scandal. loyal MAGA soldiers, though b he Gaetz years will vigorously defend Trump in nearly every major scandal or controversy. None of the 16 former senior Trump admin officers, former campaign chiefs, longtime GOP agents, and sources close to the former president contacted by The Daily Beast were willing to defend Gaetz on the note. No one will do this anonymously. When former President Trump finally issued a statement about Gaetz on Wednesday, it was a brief, mostly self-serving statement offering a half-hearted defense. “Congressman Matt Gaetz has never apologized to me,” Trump said in a statement, following reports that Gaetz apologized for himself and Trump’s other cheerleaders. “It should also be remembered that he has completely denied the charges against him.” But for Gaetz, it’s all the justification he needs. “The best is yet to come,” said Gaetz at the Friday night event. Journey Records’ Will Set Him Free. Not So Fast. This is a sentiment lifted from Kimberly Guilfoyle’s 2020 Republican National Convention address, Trump’s prominent ally and girlfriend of Donald Trump Jr. Between when Guilfoyle first shouted those words and when Gaetz said it on Friday, Joe Biden defeated Trump in the presidential election, the US Capitol was taken over by the rebels, Trump became the first US president to be impeached twice, and it was revealed that Gaetz is the subject of a Justice Department investigation into allegations of sex trafficking and prostitution. more on The Daily Beast. Get our headlines in your inbox every day. Sign up now! Membership for the Daily Beast: Beast Inside delves into the stories that matter to you. Learn more.



image source

Letter: America has an express obligation to help vaccinate countries | Letter | Instant News


I want to draw attention to and thank you for provisions of the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021 that have not been widely reported. In comprehensive legislation there is a provision of $ 10.8 billion to tackle the impact of Covid-19 abroad. This provision will provide life-saving overseas health and humanitarian assistance to poor countries struggling with the effects of the pandemic.

Some may be tempted to think, “Don’t we need to take care of our own people first? Are we responsible for the health of people in other countries? “Of course, every step needs to be taken to make the Covid-19 vaccine available here for those who need it and are looking for it, as well as provide assistance to families and communities affected by the pandemic. But if we are too narrow in our view, it can hurt us.

We all know that Covid-19 entered our country from other countries. New virus mutations have also come from other countries, including Brazil, South Africa and the UK. It is impossible to end a pandemic by simply tackling it in the US as if we could build a wall around our country to prevent it. I recently heard someone say that a virus outbreak is everywhere.

It was recently reported in the New York Times that 90% of the 400 million vaccines shipped to date have been sent to wealthy and middle-income countries. So, sharing resources with those in need seems orderly. The recent decision by the United States to send four million doses of vaccine to Canada and Mexico, our two closest neighbors and major trading partners, is a sign of a hopeful international partnership.

.



image source

Explanation: What’s behind the latest unrest in Northern Ireland? | Instant News


Young people have thrown bricks, fireworks and petrol bombs at police and burned hijacked cars and buses during a week of violence in the streets. Police responded with rubber bullets and water cannons.

The streets were calmer on Friday night, as community leaders asked for calm after the death of Prince Philip, the husband of Queen Elizabeth II, 99 years old. But a small group of youths pelted police with objects and set fire to cars during the sporadic outbreak in Belfast.

The chaotic scenes have evoked the memory of decades of the Catholic-Protestant conflict, known as The Troubles. The 1998 peace deal ended large-scale violence but did not resolve deep-rooted tensions in Northern Ireland.

A glimpse of the backdrop of the new violence:

WHY CONTEST LAND?



Geographically, is a part of Ireland. Politically, it’s part of Great Britain.

Ireland, long dominated by its larger neighbors, broke free some 100 years ago after centuries of colonization and uneasy unity. Twenty-six of its 32 counties are independent states with a Roman Catholic majority. The six counties in the north, which have a Protestant majority, remain British.

Northern Ireland’s Catholic minority experiences discrimination in employment, housing, and other areas of the Protestant-run state. In the 1960s, the Catholic civil rights movement demanded change, but faced a strong response from the government and police. Some people, both Catholic and Protestant, formed armed groups that escalated the violence by bombing and shooting.

The British Army was deployed in 1969, initially to keep the peace. The situation deteriorated into conflict between the militant republican Ireland who wanted to unite with the south, loyalist paramilitaries trying to keep Northern Ireland into Britain, and British troops.

During the three decades of conflict more than 3,600 people, most of them civilians, died in bombings and shootings. Most of these were in Northern Ireland, although the Irish Republican Army also detonated bombs in London and other British cities.

HOW DOES THE CONFLICT END?

In the 1990s, after secret talks and with the help of diplomatic efforts by Ireland, Britain and the United States, the fighters reached a peace agreement. The 1998 Good Friday deal saw paramilitaries lay down their weapons and establish a Catholic-Protestant power-sharing government for Northern Ireland. The question of Northern Ireland’s final status was postponed: it would remain with Britain as long as it was the wish of the majority, but a future referendum on reunification was not ruled out.

While the peace has largely persisted, small groups of the Irish Republican Army have carried out occasional attacks on security forces, and there has been sectarian street violence.

Politically, power-sharing arrangements have had times of success and failure. The Belfast administration collapsed in January 2017 due to a failed green energy project. It remained suspended for more than two years amid a rift between British trade unions and Irish nationalist parties over cultural and political issues, including the status of the Irish language. The Northern Irish government returns to work in early 2020, but there is still deep mistrust on both sides.

HOW DOES BREXIT HAVE COMPLICATED THINGS?

Northern Ireland has been called the problem child of Brexit, Britain’s divorce from the European Union. As the only part of the UK that has borders with the European Union country, Ireland, it is the toughest issue to resolve after Britain voted narrowly in 2016 to leave the 27-nation bloc.

Ireland’s open borders, where people and goods flow freely, underpin the peace process, allowing people in Northern Ireland to feel at home in Ireland and Great Britain.

The UK Conservative government’s insistence on a tough Brexit that takes the country out of the EU economic order means the creation of new barriers and trade checks. Both the UK and the EU agree that the border should not be in Ireland because of the risks this will pose to the peace process. The alternative is to place it, metaphorically, in the Irish Sea between Northern Ireland and the rest of Great Britain.

The arrangement has worried British union members, who say it weakens Northern Ireland’s place in Britain and could increase calls for Irish reunification.

WHY IS VIOLENCE REMOVED NOW?

The violence was mostly in Protestant areas in and around Belfast and Northern Ireland’s second city, London, although the disturbance had spread to Catholic circles.

Britain left the EU’s economic arms on December 31, and new trade arrangements quickly irked Northern Irish union members who wanted to stay in the UK. Initial trade disruptions, exacerbated by the coronavirus pandemic, left several supermarket shelves empty, sparking alarms. Border staff temporarily withdrew from a Northern Irish port in February after threatening graffiti appeared to target port workers.

There is anger that British Prime Minister Boris Johnson, long insisting there will be no new checks on trade as a result of Brexit, has underestimated the scale of change wrought by leaving the EU. Some British loyalist communities in Northern Ireland feel their identity is under threat.

Many loyalists believe that, de facto, Northern Ireland is no longer part of Britain as it used to be, Ulster University politics professor Henry Patterson told Sky News.

(Only the title and image of this report may have been reworked by Business Standards staff; other content was generated automatically from syndicated feeds.)

.



image source