Seahawks Note: Rosters may be cut to 80; preseason games are eliminated; Quinton Dunbar was allowed to travel to Seattle | Instant News


With the NFL training camp now open in less than a week – July 28 remains the official date – the league and player associations continue to sort out the protocol required by the COVID-19 outbreak.

The Seahawks are waiting for all the details to be finalized before asking their beginners to report, and on Tuesday afternoon they have not announced the date when the beginners will arrive.

They were originally scheduled to report on Tuesday, but for now, the Seahawks pick it up day after day because everything is set.

The following is more of what happened on Tuesday and how it will impact the Seahawks.

There are no pre-season games in 2020

Things have been heading in this direction for a while now, with Monday afternoon’s report that the league has proposed that there are no preseason matches after last week’s league hopes to at least play one or two.

Reports on Tuesday said the league and players had officially agreed that there would be no preseason by 2020, with players competing in the match presenting unnecessary health risks.

That means the first time the public is scheduled to see the Seahawks in any game format is the opening September 13 regular season against Atlanta. Seattle is scheduled to open the August 13 preseason at home against the Las Vegas Raiders.

Rester cuts 90-80

Reports also state that players were told during a conference call with NFLPA leaders that the roster would likely be reduced to 80 players to start training camps instead of the usual 90. Tom Pelissero from NFL Media reported Tuesday afternoon that the Executive Committee of the NFL Management Board has not yet signed an 80-person list, although reports say it is expected to be approved.

Cutting down the list will help limit the number of tests that must be given and the possible exposure and spread of COVID-19.

And with the NFL regular season roster at 53, the thinking is that having 80 players makes the most of those who have a legitimate opportunity to make a team.

However, that means most teams will have to make some significant cuts in the next few days. Seattle has 90 full players on the list, so the Seahawks must be reduced by the stronghold, assuming a limit of 80 people is exceeded.

Some have speculated that it would be difficult to make free agents and young players without contracts.

But the team will still have the ability to cut players and bring others back throughout the camp, and the team will likely look first to those they have to cut to go down to 80 to replace injured or ignored players.

The training team is also expected to increase from 12 to at least 16, which will allow more opportunities for young players to stay in some capacity for longer.

One reason to wait to ask the beginner to report: The team had anticipated that the roster could be cut to 80. The team did not want to ask the player to report and then immediately cut it.

The ramp-up period is still unclear

The initial structure of the camp is a number of items which are still unfinished.

The league and the players have sorted out the test details, including that the players will be tested every day for the first two weeks at the camp.

But among the significant issues that still need to be resolved is how to deal with any potential decline in income this season, how much of it will be charged on the salary cap of 2021 and if it can spread into the coming years.

The other is the length of the “ramp-up period” – the player has proposed a 21-day period of strength and conditioning to start camp in an effort to limit injuries because players have not done full team work on the field since the end of the 2019 season.

The NFL has proposed a shorter ramp-up period with strength and conditioning for two weeks, wearing a helmet on Day 14 and wearing pads on Day 21.

In both cases, that means the team will not have full bearings until at least mid-August.

Dunbar received official approval to travel

In Seahawks news not related to COVID-19, Miami Herald reported Tuesday that cornerback Quinton Dunbar had received approval to travel to Seattle to start training camp.

According to the Herald, prosecutors at the Broward District Attorney’s Office officially agreed Tuesday to allow Dunbar to travel while still continuing to “contemplate” whether to proceed with the case – Dunbar has been charged with four counts of crime of armed robbery in connection with an incident in Miramar, Florida, in the month of the month. May.

The Herald reported Broward Circuit Judge Tom Coleman signed an agreement to allow Dunbar’s trip to camp.

According to the Herald, Dunbar’s lawyer, Andrew Rier, told a virtual court hearing Tuesday that he spoke with the general manager of the Seahawks (probably meaning John Schneider) and Dunbar “would be welcomed at the camp.”

Dunbar, however, can still be subject to discipline by the NFL, or be placed on an exempt list, even without accusations being formally filed. According to the Herald, there is no deadline for decisions when Dunbar can be prosecuted.

Dunbar was obtained from Washington in March in exchange for a fifth round of draft choices in 2020 and is expected to take over the starting position in the right cornerback.





image source

to request modification Contact us at Here or [email protected]