The Athletics and Mariners opened up the season in Japan on Wednesday, in case you did not know.
The sport began shiny and early within the U.S. as the primary pitch was thrown at 5:36 a.m. ET.
Lots of people understandably did not see the sport, so listed below are 5 issues you could have missed when you had been sleeping and baseball was beginning.
1. In traditional Ichiro vogue he discovered a method to assist his group: In what could also be Ichiro Suzuki’s closing Opening Day begin, the 45-year-old proper fielder was unable to tally a success, however discovered a strategy to get on base with a stroll in his second plate look. Supervisor Scott Servais then took him out and he acquired a standing ovation from his dwelling nation. It was a second befitting of top-of-the-line hitters of all time.
Ichiro comes out of the sport.
Pardon us, we’re crying within the membership rn. pic.twitter.com/09aKuLlsiQ
— Cut4 (@Cut4) March 20, 2019
2. The A’s haven’t got a lot beginning pitching: Pretty much as good as Mike Fiers was for the Tigers and Athletics final season, the easy reality stays that he’s not a typical ace of a workers. He is extra like a No. Three or No. Four man and that confirmed on Wednesday as he lasted simply three innings whereas giving up 5 runs to a Mariners group that misplaced three of its finest hitters from a yr in the past. Oakland completed final season with one starter in its rotation and it may resolve to utterly dispose of starters if Fiers persistently does what he did within the opener.
3. Mariners trades already paying off: Seattle made all of the trades this winter. It made large offers sending Jean Segura to Philadelphia and Robinson Cano and Edwin Diaz to New York, and it made extra delicate ones in buying Mallex Smith from the Rays and Domingo Santana from the Brewers. Whereas Smith is harm proper now, Santana has already paid off as he smacked a grand slam in his second at-bat of the yr. That homer gave the Mariners a lead they might by no means relinquish and their first win of the yr.
— MLB (@MLB) March 20, 2019
4. Matt Chapman picked up the place he left off: The A’s 25-year-old third baseman was probably essentially the most under-the-radar nice participant in baseball final season, ending within the high 15 in Wins Above Alternative (WAR) nearly in every single place you would look. He picked up proper the place he left off hitting a three-run dwelling run and going 2 for five with two runs scored in his first sport of the yr. He additionally made a improbable play on a bunt to nab the speedy Dee Gordon. Oakland wants him to be nice once more this yr if it hopes to duplicate final season’s success.
— Oakland Athletics 🌳🐘⚾️ (@Athletics) March 20, 2019
5. Hunter Strickland picks up the place Edwin Diaz left off: Shedding Diaz hurts. The 24-year-old nearer saved 57 video games in 61 alternatives final yr whereas putting out 124 batters in 73 1/Three innings. That’s extremely exhausting to exchange, however Hunter Strickland did not appear fazed Wednesday. The previous Giants reliever most well-known throwing at Bryce Harper for breaking his hand after blowing a save final season was good, posting a 1-2-Three inning with two strikeouts and ending the sport on a Chapman Okay. Strickland has at all times been an efficient reliever and he may fill in additional than admirably for Diaz’s manufacturing final season.