Hub Dam water level rises to 298 feet after recent rainfall

KARACHI: The latest spell of rainfall within the catchment space of Hub Dam in Balochistan and Sindh, has elevated the water degree on the lake of the dam by 20 toes, ARY Information reported on Friday.

The irrigation division officers at this time mentioned that the water degree on the dam’s reservoir has reached to 298 toes, 20 toes above the extent measured earlier than the rain. The dam reservoir nonetheless receiving the influx from the catchment space, officers mentioned.

Heavy rainfall within the catchment space of the Hub Dam, particularly in Lasbela and Khuzdar districts of Balochistan, have resulted in a substantial improve within the water degree within the dam, which had reached to useless degree as a consequence of lack of rains and years of drought in Balochistan and Sindh, officers mentioned on Thursday.

The catchment areas of the Hub Dam is unfold over 1000’s of kilometres in Balochistan and Sindh.

Owing to the low provide from the dam, many areas within the western and central districts of the Karachi had been dealing with acute water scarcity.

A 30-kilometer-long canal with its designed capability provides round 100 million gallons of water every day (mgd) to Karachi.

Lack of rainfall within the dam catchment space created drought-like state of affairs, whereas a serious portion of the dam’s reservoir, round 26 sq. kilometers, virtually dried up.

The dam’s previous construction and poor upkeep had resulted in leakages and breaches within the water physique.

The latest rains in Balochistan and Sindh have raised the extent of water within the Hub Dam, making it potential for the Karachi Water and Sewerage Board to renew the provision of water to town.

In line with the KWSB’s officers, the water board will begin supplying water from the dam over the subsequent few days. On the present degree, as much as 70 million gallons of water per day might be provided to town for the subsequent one yr, officers mentioned.

Drought-like state of affairs

The water in Hub Dam, positioned 56 km from Karachi, went down owing to the dearth of run-off in latest months as most components of the nation had been dealing with drought-like state of affairs as final yr’s monsoon was a few quarter beneath the conventional.

The Hub dam is prolonged to 24,300 acres with gross storage capability of 8,57,000 acre toes. It’s Pakistan’s third largest dam and an essential supply that meets water wants of town.

The water degree within the reservoir goes down as a consequence of scarce rainfall within the catchment space of Hub Dam having complete capability at 339 toes.

The final time the dam reached its full capability was in 2013, when the water degree was sufficient to satisfy the citizen’s necessities for 3 years, water board sources earlier mentioned.

The Hub Dam provides 63% of its capability, which involves 100 mgd, to Karachi’s District West, in addition to North Karachi and New Karachi in District Central. The remaining 37% of the water is provided to Lasbela district of Balochistan and surrounding areas for irrigation functions.

Feedback

feedback

Show More

Leave a Reply

Close