Punta Campanella is the last the peninsula of the Sorrentine Peninsula and overlooking the island of Capri, separated by a straight line Bocca Piccola.
The quiet and crumbling Saracen Watchtower which was originally built by Robert of Anjou in 1334 (rebuilt in 1556), was originally part of a defense network that tarnished the peninsula and its bell. That’s actually where the name Tanjung comes from. Bells are rung to warn the invaders and seamen enemies. Near the tower is an automatic lighthouse that was built during the 1970s.
Other ruins around the tower include a defense structure built by Murat to stop the conquest of Capri in England. There are also Roman remains that have been linked to imperial villas and temples dedicated to Minerva or Athens.
The gap in the rock on the left allows a dangerous drop into the sea below and is most likely used to access the mooring point. The Oscan / Samnite inscriptions were found on a rocky cliff in the 1980s. It was also mentioned the work of three Samnite judges who built mooring sites so that offerings could be brought to the temple. When the Romans conquered the peninsula, they took over the temple even though ancient ruins hidden under vegetation could also be associated with an imperial villa.
The site is also believed to be a place where Ulysses, who asked his men to row the ship over the cliff and tie himself to the mast, listened to the dangerous Siren song.
Know Before You Go
Punta Campanella can only be reached by foot through a small track about 3 miles from the village of Termini. Alternatively, you can hike to Monte San Costanzo and take a steep path down the mountain offering incredible views of Capri and nearby Ieranto Bay.
There are two ways down from the lighthouse to the sea but both are very dangerous.
A narrow gap in the rock with Oscan inscription with a rope and ladder, while a ladder in poor condition leads to a mooring on the north side.
to request modification Contact us at Here or [email protected]