Sicily asks Cuba to send medical personnel as Italy fights second wave of Covid | World News | Instant News


Authorities in Sicily have asked the Cuban government to send about 60 health care workers, including doctors and nurses, to the region as hospitals on the Italian island struggle with a shortage of medical personnel during the second coronavirus wave.

The request was made this week to the Italian embassy in Cuba and refers to intensive care specialists, nurses, anesthetists, resuscitators, virologists and pneumologists. the Italian newspaper la Repubblica reports.

Between March and April this year, Cuban medical teams landed in some of Italy’s worst-hit areas, including Lombardy and Piedmont, to replace overworked Italian professionals.

Other medical brigades have spread around the world to fight Covid-19 in 20 other countries, from South Africa to Suriname.

“The Cuban government has a team of doctors and nurses who are willing to travel to other countries for work, and we are asking for their help,” Renato Costa, Sicily’s Covid-19 emergency commissioner, told la Repubblica. “We know that in recent weeks the area others enter Italy has asked Cuba for help too. We just hope they will come to us first. I contacted the embassy, ​​which has welcomed our request. “

On November 4, Rome designated Sicily as the “orange zone”at high risk, mainly due to a lack of health facilities and beds in the intensive care unit.

On Monday, the Italian government asked health monitors to investigate whether Sicily was trying to avoid entering a red zone at high risk of transmission by inflating the ICU bed number – the most important parameter for determining in which zone to place a territory.

There were 48 more deaths in Sicily as of Tuesday; highest daily casualties since the start of the pandemic.

The second wave of Covid has exposed a shortage of Italian intensive care staff. Many medical professionals have chosen to leave the profession or take early retirement after trauma experienced in the spring. The Italian federation of doctors said that 27 medical workers had lost their lives in the past 10 days, while 27,000 health workers had been infected over the past month.

There were a further 722 coronavirus-related deaths in Italy as of Wednesday and 25,853 new infections.

The Italian Minister of Health, Roberto Speranza, said that he would present the plan for the Covid vaccine from the Italian government on 2 December.

“The purchase of vaccines will be carried out centrally,” said Speranza. “I have a lot of confidence in the regulatory body that was set up to ensure its safety, but we still have to refuse a few months, then a new phase will open; we couldn’t afford the third wave. “

.



image source

to request modification Contact us at Here or [email protected]