Italy took action against TikTok after the girl’s death | Instant News


Italy’s data protection authority said it would impose an immediate block on TikTok’s access to data for any user whose age has not been verified.

MILAN – Italy’s data protection authority on Friday said it was imposing direct blocking on TikTok’s access to data for any user whose age has not been verified.

Authorities said they were acting “urgently” after the death of a 10-year-old girl in Sicily, who died while participating in so-called blackout challenges while using China’s video-sharing social network.

Prosecutors in Sicily are investigating this case.

The data protection authority noted it had notified TikTok in December about a series of violations, including little attention to the protection of minors, the ease with which users under the age of 13 could register with the platform – contrary to its own rules – a lack of transparency in information provided to users and the use of privacy-disrespecting automatic settings.

The block will remain in effect until at least February 15, when further evaluations will take place.

TikTok earlier this month rolled out some tightened privacy features for users under the age of 18, including new default personal settings for accounts with users aged 13 to 15. The new practice, which affects users around the world, is following US regulators to order TikTok and other social media services to reveal how their practice affects children and youth.

.



image source

to request modification Contact us at Here or [email protected]