Italy’s Desperate Entertainment Sector In Protests | Instant News


The end of February marked the year the Italian entertainment industry closed due to the coronavirus pandemic. For two weeks, thousands of protesters took to the streets of Italy to voice their anger at the lack of government assistance and the opportunity for a safe reopening.

Italian musicians, artists, actors and dancers have seen them work was stopped for more than a year amidst the COVID-19 restrictions. In cities across the country, cultural sector workers are coming out to express their frustration at their dire economic situation and the government’s lack of a strategy to reopen places according to coronavirus guidelines.

About 300,000 people work in the Italian entertainment sector. Theaters, theaters, concert halls and theme parks have remained closed for more than a year, depriving these workers of regular income.

Last week, protesters gathered in front of a local government building in Milan. Actors and stage workers began preparing for a show that would never have happened, in an attempt to show the grueling preparation before the show.

Parallel demonstrations have been seen in various places in Italy, including in Rome and Turin. Protesters in Rome played musical instruments, beat pot lids and sang as they marched towards parliamentary seats.

On Monday, workers of traveling shows, circuses, amusement parks and fairgrounds protested in Rome. They called for government assistance, but also criticized their continued closure as their event took place outdoors.

Several government grants have been made available to entertainment sector workers during the crisis, but they are not fixed and many say so slipped through the cracks. The informal work of informal workers prevalent in Italy has also prevented many people from asking for funding.

At Italy’s famous Sanremo Music Festival, which is currently underway, a heartwarming tribute is paid to workers in the Italian arts and culture sector. Alessandra Amoroso, singer, and Matilde Gioli, actress, condemned the ongoing shutdown.

Gioli said, “Now that everything is suspended, the world has stopped, the audience is empty, their lives are even more than ours, [entertainment workers] put off waiting for the unimaginable resumption or for help that never arrived. Amoroso added, “However, these professionals can no longer wait and many of them have to reinvent themselves in new jobs or in the worst case they have nothing in their” desperate hope “of restoring their dignity.”

The message the protesters want to convey is more than just about economic viability. Like the demonstrators’ signs that read, “Culture is not a waste”, “Culture, whatever it takes”, and “A country that does not invest in their theater is dead and dying”.

The COVID-19 lockdown has forced people to stay at home. Movies, TV series and live broadcasts of various cultural events are very valuable and remind people of the human need for culture and entertainment. The protesters want their work to be recognized as important and problems in the sector recognized, such as precarious and informal work.

Speaking in mid-February, Italy’s new prime minister Mario Draghi said, ‚ÄúCulture must be supported and of course the risk is losing the legacy that defines our identity. The economic losses are enormous, but the demoralization will be even greater. “

Words are less comforting for today’s Italian cultural sector workers, who want to see a road map to reopening their entertainment scene safely.

.



image source

to request modification Contact us at Here or [email protected]