The Italian national aerobatic team, Frecce Tricolore, flew over Piazza Duomo Milan on May 25, 2020 in Milan, Italy. Restaurants, bars, cafes, hairdressers and other shops have reopened, subject to social distance measures, after more than two months of national lockup intended to curb the spread of Covid-19.
The Italians embrace their freedom from the strict locking of the corona virus by heading to the country’s coast and piazza, but officials warn that too little thought is paid for the danger of a second wave of infection.
Footage broadcast on Italian TV on weekends shows young Italians partying and drinking in groups in northern and southern Italy. The resumption of Italian “movida”, or nightlife, has prompted authorities to warn residents to behave more cautiously.
Regional Affairs Minister Francesco Boccia told the La Stampa newspaper on Monday that the government would not open trips between regions of Italy, which were expected as part of the “Phase Two” lifting of lock restrictions and scheduled to take place on June 2, if mass social gatherings continue .
“Be careful, if it continues like this we will not be able to reopen the area,” he told the newspaper. “I understand young people, but we cannot cancel efforts (carried out): at the end of the week the government will evaluate the situation based on the number of infections.”
“We must not forget that we are still facing Covid-19 so those who burn movida betrayed the sacrifice made by millions of Italians,” he warned.
The green light for socializing last weekend is a breath of fresh air for Italians who have endured more than two months under strict locking rules, told to stay at home unless they have to go out for important things like food and medicine. On May 18, bars, restaurants and museums were permitted to reopen, as well as shops, hairdressers and beaches.
The beach is a popular destination for many Italians to take advantage of good weather, with several coastal cities, such as Castiglione della Pescaia, noting how busy they are on weekends. Lorenzo, who works at Bar La Fronte in the Tuscan beach resort, told CNBC that the bar was busy but most customers respected the rules of social distance.
“This past weekend there were lots of people everywhere, on the beach, in the park, on the central streets … and also in nightclubs like us,” he told CNBC on Tuesday. “People respect (social) distance except in a few cases.”
But Lorenzo said he believed it would be “impossible” to maintain social distance during the summer, “when the country was really full and not only in terms of nightlife, but also on beaches and roads, seafront etc., which were crowded in the season hot, like all seaside resorts. “
After watching a crowd gather at the weekend, some Italians share their concerns about the lack of social distance on Twitter, especially given Italy’s experience of the virus that has caused the deaths of nearly 33,000 people.
The mayor took up arms
The mayor of the Italian city is also unhappy and has been taken to social media to beg local residents to obey the rules, or risk the return of restrictions.
Vincenzo Napoli, mayor of Salerno, said he saw too many people and traffic in the southern Italian city at the weekend. “There seems to be some kind of psychological repression of what has happened so far, such as emotional release. This is the worst that can happen,” he said, according to the Gazetta newspaper in Salerno. “Lowering your guard at this stage means returning to the act of frightening viruses,” he warned.
Meanwhile, crowds heading to the mountains around Turin are pushing for hopes of a local economic recovery, but also concerns about the number of people gathering to enjoy the outdoors. The mayor of a local commune, Usseglio, described the crowd scene as “catastrophic.”
Beppe Sala, mayor of Milan, the capital of Lombardy – which was the center of the spread of the Italian coronavirus in late February – said on Twitter Monday that “we cannot imagine having a second weekend like the one just ended.”
On Sunday, Sala said on Facebook that he had spoken with other mayors in big cities and, “there is frustration in us because we all agree that with available law enforcement agencies it is not possible to manage meetings and that calls for common sense only works up to a point. “
Luca Zaia, governor of the Veneto region, also posted a video on Twitter on Sunday with the title “Happy hour” which shows Italians socializing interspersed with pictures of intensive care wards.
Some mayors have closed their main squares, and bars, to prevent mass gatherings, including mayors of Brescia and Perugia.
Minister of Regional Affairs Boccia said that 60,000 people could be employed to help establish social distance and wear masks in public places, but the plan had met with opposition.
to request modification Contact us at Here or [email protected]