Murad denounced the Center’s indifference to the rain disaster in Sindh | Instant News


KARACHI: Strongly criticizes the federal government for what he describes as a “lukewarm attitude towards people affected by the rain in the province,” Chief Minister Sindh Syed Murad Ali Shah said none of their ministers wanted to visit the disaster-stricken area and provide people support. Despite massive damage across the province due to unprecedented rains, so far the federal government has only spent Rs70 billion from the province’s share of Rs126 billion, leaving a shortfall of Rs56 billion, which is far below the provincial government’s need to rehabilitate people affected by rain. and reconstructing damaged infrastructure.

CM addresses a press conference at the CM Building on Thursday. He is flanked by provincial ministers, Makhdoom Mahboob, Saeed Ghani, Nasir Hussain Shah, Faraz Dero and Law Minister Murtaza Wahab.

Murad Ali Shah said that unprecedented torrential rains in August caused major damage to the Karachi, Hyderabad and Mirpurkhas divisions. He said Karachi was suffering from encroachment on rainwater channels, an old and under-capacity sewage system.

The chief minister said the buildings were built along the rainwater channel and builders were hired to do so and cited Rashid Minhas Street where shops are built on both Nullas embankments. He also mentioned that North Nazimabad and Hyderi were that the 2,000 square meter bungalows had been replaced with tall buildings and no one had assigned people to cause the chaos.

The chief minister said we plan to build a sewage system in Kharadar, KDA Chowrangi, Surjani City, particularly in Yousuf Goth, and in the rural area of ​​Malir. He said the sewage system in the Central district would also be redesigned as waste flow was hampered by the construction of Green Line infrastructure in the rainwater channels.

Likewise, Kota Surjani and Malir’s sewerage systems need repair, he said. Speaking about the collapse of illegally constructed residential buildings on an almost daily basis, the chief minister said he had tasked Regional Government Minister Syed Nasir Shah to act against illegal buildings and vacating dangerous buildings.

Apart from Karachi, Shah said 20 districts in the province were hit by heavy rains and were declared disaster-hit areas. Detailing the casualties and property, Shah said 136 people died, 86 were injured, 15,233 villages were submerged and 2,488,616 people were badly affected. He said more than one million hectares of land with standing crops were swept away, 77,343 houses damaged and 45,961 livestock died.

“This is a very serious situation and our people are experiencing pain and suffering,” he said. Shah said that more than Rs67 billion is needed to rehabilitate the affected people so that they can return to normal life. The province has limited resources and cannot spare its own numbers and has been forced to start a media campaign seeking support from philanthropists.

“The reconstruction and repair of damaged infrastructure, including roads, schools and hospital buildings will be separate tasks,” said the chief minister. The problem has been compounded as the federal government provided only 70 billion from the province’s share of Rs126 billion, creating a shortfall of Rs56 billion.

Murad Ali Shah said he had repeatedly informed the prime minister about the crisis but nothing has been given to us by the federal government for the support and assistance of the people affected.

The Chief Minister added that in the areas affected by the rain, only 75 tents were distributed but 39,772 tents were still needed. Likewise, 124,030 ration bags have been distributed and another 104,600 are needed.

He added that there was a demand for 315,000 mosquito nets and 151,200 had been provided. “We have distributed 2,200 kitchen sets but 11,702 are still needed,” he said. Talking about the destruction of standing crops, Murad Ali Shah said he did not think that we would be able to meet targets for cotton and other crop production during this Kharif season and added the federal government should review its targets and come to support farmers by declaring an agricultural emergency. The chief minister said that the middle school classes will continue their sessions from September 28 under the strict supervision of SOPs. Murad Ali Shah said COVID-19 tests at 39,756 public and private schools had been carried out, 185 of which were detected as positive.

“This is serious and we all have to be careful in handling our children,” he said. “The situation of the corona virus infection will be reviewed on September 28 to decide on educational institutions. We will take risks for the children’s health, ”he said. Responding to a question, the chief minister stated that the federal government was trying to dissolve the provincial government from day one.

.



image source

to request modification Contact us at Here or [email protected]