KARACHI: The Sindh High Court on Wednesday directed the local government secretary to appear in court on 28 October along with a viable proposal for dealing with future damage to civilian infrastructure.
The court was seized with a petition asking for an investigation into the collapse of Karachi’s civilian infrastructure due to recent heavy rains and compensation for the people affected.
The two-judge judge chaired by Judge Mohammad Ali Mazhar also asked the commissioner for additional assistance to provide some working papers before the next trial regarding a road map drawn up to combat such a situation in the future by the relevant authorities.
When the matter arose for a trial, the attorneys for several respondents asked for time to submit comments and two respondents sent their replies. Bangku returned to issue notifications to several respondents.
Additional advocate generals also asked for time to comment on behalf of the provincial authorities, who were named as respondents in the petition.
The application for a ban on intercity transport operations was discarded
Commissioner for Additional Assistance Shakeel Abro told the panel of judges that a road map was being developed to deal with the situation caused by future heavy rains.
The petitioners proposed that unplanned urban growth and large-scale encroachment especially in waterways, poorly designed roads and drainage systems had caused unmatched flooding and damage to the city and more than 40 people lost their lives in rain-related incidents and from shocks electricity. .
They went on to say that the main entrances of three major hospitals were flooded, main roads were submerged and emergency telephone numbers were damaged during the rain.
The carrier application was canceled
The same bench discards the carrier petition filed against the restrictions imposed on intercity transport operations during the lockdown after being notified that the lockdown notification has been lifted in accordance with the application of standard operating procedures (SOPs).
The transport secretary and other officials conveyed that owners of all intercity bus operations are required to implement SOPs without fail.
The petition filed by Pakistan’s Supreme Council of Carriers and its lawyers indicated during the trial that various bus terminals had been closed inside the city as well as outside the city and bus owners holding valid route permits also submitted applications to the province. transportation authorities to operate bus terminals at different places.
The secretary confirmed that several applications were waiting in his office for orders and he promised that all applications would be finalized within two weeks and orders communicated in writing to the applicants.
The Assembly directed him to hear and decide this application is legally compliant after giving the applicant and other stakeholders ample opportunity if any.
Warrant for the arrest of a key witness in the case of Intizar’s murder
An anti-terrorism court issues a warrant for the arrest of a key witness in a case relating to the murder of a juvenile during a sham meeting with the Defense Housing Authority.
Eight Anti-Car Lifting Cell (ACLC) officials, including SHO Tariq Mehmood, inspectors Azhar Ahsan and Tariq Raheem, police chief Shahid and police Ghulam Abbas, Fawad Khan, Mohammad Daniyal and Bilal Rasheed have been charged with the murder of the 19 year old. Intizar Ahmed on the night of January 13 2018.
This matter surfaced before the ATC-XIII judge who was conducting a trial at the Central Lapas, on the testimony of the key witness prosecutor, Madiha Kiyani, and others.
However, Kiyani was not present to testify against the accused. The prosecutor and investigating officers informed the court that the female witness did not come to record her statement in court despite repeated notifications.
The court was told that his statement was important evidence because he was present with the victim in his car when he was shot dead by the accused.
Noting his absence, the judge issued an arrest warrant with bail for Kiyani, directing IO to confirm his presence in court by the next date to record his statement in the case.
The trial was postponed until October 8.
All police under court were charged on 15 May 2018 for killing the teenager, who was studying in Malaysia and visiting his family in DHA, Karachi.
Initially, IO had named eight officials as suspects in the investigative report. However, he later left police chief Ghulam Abbas who stated that he was not present at the time of the incident.
Published in Dawn, October 1, 2020
to request modification Contact us at Here or [email protected]