MONTREAL – The Rogers Cup women’s tennis tournament will not be played this year due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Tennis Canada announced Saturday the event, which is scheduled for August 7 to 16 in Montreal, was not on schedule.
The Quebec government announced on Friday that no sporting event could be held until August 31, although it left the door slightly open for the pro team.
Tennis Canada says the women’s event will return to Montreal in August 2021.
Rogers Cup women and men have traditionally rotated between Toronto and Montreal.
Until Saturday, the men’s event is still on schedule for Toronto in August 2020. A Tennis Canada spokeswoman said planning will continue for the Toronto event until Ontario or the city reaches the same decision as Quebec, or the ATP Tour continues to suspend its game. .
Bianca Andreescu from Canada won the women’s tournament last year in Toronto.
“At the start of the COVID-19 crisis we hope that the situation will be resolved in time to be able to host our tournament as planned on the calendar, but we know that opportunities have gotten smaller in the last few weeks,” Montreal tournament director Eugene Lapierre said in a statement.
“Our priority in managing this crisis has always been to ensure the safety and well-being of our players, fans, volunteers, partners and employees. Therefore we wholeheartedly accept this news, but we understand that this decision is needed.”
The Canadian Press report was first published 11 April 2020.
to request modification Contact us at Here or [email protected]