London (ANTARA News) – Two-time world darts champion, Gary Anderson, was forced to withdraw from the PDC Home Tour competition because his WiFi connection was not “reliable enough”.
Professional Darts Corporation (PDC) announced earlier this week that players will compete in a new series from their homes for 32 consecutive days, with competition normally postponed due to the coronavirus pandemic.
But Anderson, the 2015 and 2016 world champions, has resigned in an unexpected situation.
“I am ready for it but when we do my WiFi test, it is not reliable enough,” the 49-year-old man from Scotland told The Sun.
“That didn’t surprise me. I struggled to pay bills online at my home, it was really frustrating.
“I really want to take part. It will be something different to try and win.”
PDC Chair Barry Hearn announced a new ‘Tour’ earlier this week, which will be aired online, with players going head-to-head via video links.
“Maybe it will just smile a little and give us something to look forward to,” Hearn told Talksport radio, with world champion Peter Wright playing the inaugural match later Friday.
The PDC boss added that all hope had not been lost for Anderson.
“We have partners like that, we try to help, we talk about boosters. There are technical things we can do,” he said.
“(World number one) Michael van Gerwen has just had a new baby so his house is also chaotic.”
Northern Ireland’s world number six Daryl Gurney also needed to be absent from the tournament, saying he had “no room”.
“I don’t mind playing to make my arms run again, but I don’t have room for that,” he told the BBC.
“Most of the leading players have the right rooms for jobs with luxurious lighting …
“My dartboard is behind the door of my room. I stand in the hall at the top of the stairs and I have one foot in the bathroom and one in the hall, so if someone needs to go to the bathroom I can’t throw.”
to request modification Contact us at Here or [email protected]