The worst-hit Swiss tourism sector will continue to suffer from the new coronavirus for another three or four years, according to a government official.
This content is published on 23 October 2020 – 15:47
Keystone-SDA / sb
“We don’t expect a full recovery [of the tourism sector] until 2023 or 2024, “said Erik Jakob, from the State Secretariat for Economic Affairs (Seco), to reporters in Bern, Friday.
Jakob describes the “historic decline of overnight stays in Switzerland” in 2020 and the huge differences in tourism between cities and mountainous areas.
Urban tourism has suffered the most, he said, with sales falling by 60%. But certain tourist areas, such as the cantons of Valais, Ticino and Graubünden, benefit greatly domestic guests in the summer to relieve pain.
Earlier this month, the Federal Statistical Office reported a 15.6% increase in the number of stays by domestic visitors in August, compared with a year ago. This reduces the persistent desertion of guests from abroad (down 60.3%).
Meanwhile, tourism officials are anxiously watching the upcoming winter, which typically generates about CHF2 billion ($ 2.2 billion) a year. Swiss Tourism will give a presentation on winter and the Covid-19 special protection plan on November 13.
Overall, the government expects Swiss economic output to shrink 3.8% this year, not as bad as the coronavirus-fueled slump as previously thought.
to request modification Contact us at Here or [email protected]