Tag Archives: air Force

Kaiserslautern area raised to second highest level of health alert as coronavirus cases soar in Germany – Europe | Instant News


Stars and Stripes makes stories about the Corona virus pandemic available for free. Check out other free reports here. Sign up for our daily coronavirus newsletter here. Please support our journalism with a subscription.

The Kaiserslautern area was raised to Germany’s second-highest level of health alert last week after a sudden spike in coronavirus cases that pinned some to members of the large US military community, officials said.

The alert status was raised to orange on Friday after the number of cases in the area doubled last week, with 59 new infections reported from Wednesday to Thursday. Two days earlier, a total of 54 cases were reported in the area.

A German official told Stars and Stripes, on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss the matter, that the US military community, which makes up about half of the area’s population, was being watched as a hotspot for the wave. infection.

But Kaiserslautern district administrator Ralf Lessmeister said the sharp increase in numbers was due to delays in reporting of cases by US military officials, who have submitted multiple new case reports to German public health authorities, spanning more than two weeks.

Only a fraction of the infections occurred in the past seven days, the time period used to calculate the alert level of a city or region, Lessmeister said.

Both the US Air Force and the US Army have bases in the area, but they report coronavirus case numbers separately to German public health officials, said Lt. Col. Will Powell, head of public affairs for Air Wing 86 at Ramstein Air Base.

“We have recently experienced an increase in COVID cases in the Air Force community, which corresponds to the increase in COVID cases across Germany and Europe,” he said in a statement emailed to Stars and Stripes.

“Most of our recent cases have occurred locally or from travel in Europe. There are no ‘hotspots’ on the base or within the Air Force community, but we continue to emphasize the importance of following host country restrictions and practicing proper hygiene, “he said, adding that the steps the Air Force has taken to combat the spread of the virus, include quarantines, more stringent than those imposed by state officials in Rheinland-Pfalz.

Germany’s Robert Koch Institute’s public health agency listed the Kaiserslautern district as a red Sunday, but Lessmeister said it was done by mistake and the number of cases in the region remains “well below” the 50 per 100,000 population limit at which the health warning rating is raised. to the highest level.

About 107,000 people live in the Kaiserslautern area, including about 50,000 Americans, he said. As of Saturday, there were 102 infections in the area, including eight new cases, according to data he posted on Facebook. Six people, including two members of the US military community, were released from quarantine, data showed.

Gino Mattorano, spokesman for the European Regional Health Command, said the military was doing its best to provide timely information, but due to a number of factors, which he did not explain, there could be delays in reporting.

“We will continue to work to improve the reporting process to minimize delays and provide the most comprehensive and accurate information to our host country partners,” he said. “We value and appreciate the excellent relationship we have with the Kaiserslautern community.”

Officials on Friday stepped up measures to try to contain the spread of the virus, particularly in Landstuhl and Ramstein-Miesenbach, which district officials said were “the two cities hardest hit” by the spike in cases. Both are near Ramstein Air Base.

“There will be a lot more control by the regulatory authorities, especially at the weekend,” they said in a statement released late Friday.

“The catering sector is strongly advised to comply with the applicable provisions for running a restaurant – hygiene regulations, distance rules, contact tracing.”

The increase in the number of cases “can largely be traced back to clearly defined ‘infectious events’ in the catering and family celebrations sector … particularly in Landstuhl and Ramstein-Miesenbach,” the statement said.

The US military police and German law enforcement are expected to increase patrols in the area to ensure people comply with social distancing and other precautionary rules.

“We will check to see if people are wearing their masks and keep their distance,” said Bernhard Christian Erfort, a spokesman for the Kaiserslautern police.

New cases have risen sharply in the past week across Germany, with the country’s public health agency, the Robert Koch Institute, reporting 3,483 new cases on Sunday compared with the previous day.

The hardest-hit cities in southwestern Germany, where most US bases are located, are Frankfurt and Esslingen, which have been labeled as “extreme risk” areas for the coronavirus.

US Army Garrison Rheinland-Pfalz warned against traveling to Frankfurt in a message posted on Facebook.

“FRANKFURT is now RED (High Risk for COVID infection), according to the RKI,” he said, referring to the Robert Koch Institute.

“Your plan should not cover the Frankfurt metro area,” said the Facebook message.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel said Friday after meeting the mayors of Germany’s 11 largest cities that tougher measures against the virus would come into effect immediately if more than 50 cases per 100,000 residents were reported in an area during the week. Frankfurt has already outnumbered those cases, according to Deutsche Welle.

Other measures that could be put in place to prevent a second wave of the virus in Germany include curfews, restrictions on the sale of alcohol, and restrictions on public and private gatherings.

Stars and Stripes reporter John Vandiver contributed to this report.
[email protected]
Twitter: @StripesZeit
[email protected]
Twitter: @john_vandiver

[email protected]

.



image source

The US moves 11,800 troops out of Germany | Instant News


In all, the US has about 47,000 troops and civilian personnel in Germany, spread over a number of smaller bases, headquarters and installations. Most of the 35,000 who are actively serving are in several larger Army and Air Force bases including the Ramstein Air Base, a hub in the region. There are also 2,600 National Guard and Reserve troops in Germany and nearly 12,000 civilians working for the service or the Department of Defense.

.



image source

Britain’s next generation combat program opens new suppliers | Instant News


LONDON – A raft of top system suppliers has been recruited to join the UK’s leading team in the development of the Tempest generation fighter.

Bombardier in Northern Ireland, GKN, Martin Baker, and Qinetiq, together with the British arm of Aerospace Collins, GE Aviation and Thales, have signed up to collaborate with a team led by BAE Systems working on air combat systems in the future, announced July 20 what was supposed to be the opening day of the Farnborough air show before Covid-19 led to the cancellation of the event.

At the same time as the announcement, Saab Sweden revealed that they were building a British hub to potentially participate in the work of future air combat systems between the two countries.

It’s been almost two years when wraps were taken from the Tempest fighter plastic mock-up at the Farnborough event.

Britain revealed the partnership led by BAE, also involved Leonardo, MBDA, Rolls-Royce, who would begin to investigate the technology needed for future air combat systems.

About $ 2.5 billion so far has committed to this program.

Now, just a few months before the outline business case to develop further programs will be sent to the British government, the Tempest Team, as the industry team is known, has signed its first seven system suppliers.

With the first phase of the new partnership being signed, the company will look for opportunities to join established projects and developments with the Tempest Team’s core partners.

More than 60 technology demonstration activities are currently underway on a future combat air system in the UK that employs 1800 people – the number is expected to increase to 2,500 by the end of this year.

In a statement, Defense Minister Ben Wallace said he was “pleased that seven companies had joined this mission to work with the Ministry of Defense, under the banner of the Tempest Team. They will bring ambition, discovery and expertise that will produce breakthroughs that we will rely on for decades to come. “

The increased level of employment and increased industrial support comes at an important time for a program that will determine the future position of the UK in the defense industry, given the importance of the air sector to jobs, skills and exports here.

An integrated defense, security and foreign policy review is underway led by Prime Minister Boris Johnson and his advisers, who are said to be skeptical of the ability of local industries to deliver large programs on time and on budget and prefer to buy defense equipment off the shelf.

With Covid-19 emptying the government’s coffers, launching a multibillion-dollar program like Tempest is likely to be a problem unless the UK can register several major international partners to share costs.

Last year Italy and Sweden both signed up to investigate a partnership with Britain on a future combat air system, and studies are underway with the two countries not yet committed to the program.

Sweden may not have committed to partnering with Britain and others, but its biggest defense company, Saab, announced on July 20 that it would invest $ 63 million in start-up to build a new future air combat center with other initiatives in the UK.

Saab leads the participation of the Swedish combat air system industry in the future in collaboration with the ministry of defense.

Details of where and when companies will invest in the UK are rare, but Micael Johansson, Saab’s president and CEO, said the move demonstrates the company’s commitment to combat air and British development.

“Saab took the decision to create a new center of the air combat system in the future so that we can further develop close working relationships with other FCAS industry partners and the UK Ministry of Defense. This emphasizes the importance of FCAS and the UK for Saab’s future, “Johansson said.

The British have set their nets outside Europe in search of partners, with India and Japan also holding discussions about potential ties to the future combat air system.

Across the English, French and German channels jointly developed a new fighter jet with the same time frame.

Attempts to merge the two European programs so far have failed, but that does not mean that the post-Covid-19 financial realities may not lead to a potential bond for review.

Howard Wheeldon, from the Wheeldon Strategic Advisory consultant, said that the British government knew what was at stake in the development of future air combat systems.

“Team Tempest is a very significant program for the UK. … Partnerships between government, military, industry and international partners are all determined to succeed, “he said.

“The industry, together with the RAF Rapid Capabilities Office, has reached large numbers in a very short time. “I, for example, have no doubt that the government fully understands the importance of the meaning of ‘Team Tempest’ for the UK, not only for employment and maintaining the necessary skills, but also in the potential that development has prosperity in the future,” Wheeldon said.

.



image source

Countdown to Camp No. 18: What’s the toughest game on the Boise State 2020 schedule? | National | Instant News


The Idaho Press is counting down the top 20 questions facing the Boise State soccer team during the 2020 season. Today is question No. 18: What’s the toughest game on the schedule?

We will have a good idea about the direction of the Boise State 2020 season after the first month. The Broncos played perhaps their three toughest matches this year in the first four weeks.

Of course the non-conference season cannot occur because COVID-19 because the Big Ten and Pac-12 have canceled non-conference matches, but to date no Boise State games have been canceled so we will proceed as if there will be a full schedule until told otherwise.

The first four (scheduled) matches are probably the heaviest four-game stretch that the Broncos must have to open the season in some time, starting with a cunning opening at home against a South Georgia team that has won 17 matches and has paired bowls in the last two seasons.

The second week featured a road game in the Air Force – pre-season options from Street and Smith to win the Mountain Division in front of the Broncos. The Falcons returned their quarterback and ran back, and there are no Boise State fans who need to be reminded of the Broncos struggle with the Falcons in recent years. The Air Force defeated the Broncos for three years in a row from 2014 to 2016.

Next up is probably Boise State’s toughest game this year when they host Florida State on September 19. What would be the toughest ticket to a Boise State home game might have lost some of the sparkle because the game would likely be played in front of a limited crowd – if there were fans allowed to enter at all.

Boise State of course went to Tallahassee last year and returned to the top of Seminole 36-31 in the season opener. The State of Florida is now the new coach at former Memphis boss Mike Norvell, and the figure of Seminoles will come out to take revenge after blowing a double-digit advantage at home to Broncos.

It might not be possible to play the game, but ACC hasn’t canceled non-conference games so stay active – for now.

Things will not be easier the following week when Boise State travels to play at Marshall. Thundering Herd came to Boise last year and put up a fight, falling 14-7 in a tightly contested match at the Albertsons Stadium. Marshall then won eight matches – and traveling throughout the country to play in an unfamiliar atmosphere can be a complicated challenge for any team.

Boise State might be happy to take a 3-1 record after four matches. Heck they might even take 2-2 because the schedule dramatically brightens the rest of the trip.

Road games in Hawaii at the end of October can be tricky. Rainbow Warriors won 10 games last season but lost twice to the Broncos at Boise – including in blast mode in the title game Mountain West. Hawaii also lost coach Nick Rolovich, who went to Washington State.

The only other complicated game on the schedule seems to be Friday night’s home match against BYU in early November. The Broncos are 6-0 up and close to the top 10 in the polls when they went to Provo and lost to the Cougars last year. Boise State has only been 4-3 against BYU for the past seven years, and two wins have come with five or fewer points.

Road games in Wyoming can be difficult – especially in late November. But no one jumped out as an excuse to worry about the Broncos. Home matches against San Jose State, Utah State, UNLV and Colorado State must all win easily. A road game in New Mexico also shouldn’t be too many contests.

So what’s the most difficult of all? The State of Florida and the Air Force are present at the moment as the two heaviest matches on the schedule – and the fight with Seminoles is probably the heaviest. How often does the ACC team come to Boise, and one with cache and history that belongs to the State of Florida? Seminoles will have a great talent advantage – but as Broncos showed last year, that doesn’t mean everything.

After a road fight with the Air Force, Wyoming, Marshall, South Georgia and BYU followed as the only real threat to the Broncos. Another 10-win season will look likely for the Broncos – as long as they can avoid a bad start in September.

But can the Broncos even play a full schedule this fall? Who knows this time.

.



image source

COLUMN: New nuclear hazard | Local News | Instant News


July 16 this year marks the 75th anniversary of the first nuclear bombing. I did not see a dance on the road to mark the occasion. In fact, I imagine your evening news broadcast will completely ignore it. Oh, we might hear something about Hiroshima three weeks later. The first use of the weapon in hate has a more important historical meaning. Two bombs dropped on Japan resulted in 214,000 deaths at the end of 1945.

Frankly, I’m confused that we hear very little about the threat of nuclear war today given how big the consequences of such an event are. This danger is far more clear and present than the wrong asteroid, or Yellowstone Caldera eruption. At present, we are all agog about novel coronavirus. We have lived with the nuclear Damocles Sword hanging over our collective heads for 75 years now, and we tend to think we experienced the real danger of a thermonuclear war for a period of only 13 days in 1962. We survived without physical injury; maybe it’s for a lifetime, right?

The post-World War II arms race has witnessed 2,056 nuclear test explosions by at least eight countries; more than half of that number (1,030) are Americans. The United States has not conducted a nuclear test since 1992, when the majority of the bipartisan congress mandated a nine-month moratorium on testing. In 1996, the United States was the first to sign a Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty, which clearly banned all nuclear test explosions from any results. At present, CTBT has 184 signatories and almost universal support. But it hasn’t officially entered into force because of the failure of the United States, China, Egypt, Iran and Israel to ratify the agreement; and by India, Pakistan and North Korea, which have not signed or ratified the action.

.



image source