Tag Archives: almost

Covid 19 coronavirus: The government is expanding pre-departure tests for more travelers | Instant News


The government has officially required nearly every traveler to New Zealand to test negative for Covid-19 before boarding a plane.

The new rules will come into effect at 11:59 p.m. on Monday, January 25 – this is in an effort to minimize disruption to passengers leaving soon.

This regulation was signed last week by Covid-19 Minister Chris Hipkins. Previously, only travelers from the UK and US needed to test negative in order to come to New Zealand.

Starting January 25, it has been extended to any incoming tourists, except Australia, Antarctica and most Pacific Island nations.

But not all Pacific Island countries are excluded – Papua New Guinea, which has nearly 1,000 confirmed cases of Covid-19, is not on the list.

Likewise with French Polynesia, where 17,000 cases have been confirmed and 126 people have died from Covid-19.

Hipkins also said that the Government was “exploring several possibilities” whether they could get a small amount of the Covid-19 vaccine to frontline workers earlier than previously hinted at.

“If we can do it, we will be able to do it very quickly – but it all depends on whether the vaccine company will supply it,” he told a news conference this afternoon.

He would not elaborate because it is “quite a sensitive international negotiation”.

Hipkins said the new measures would not stop Covid from entering the country, but the government’s aim was to reduce the number of cases.

He said nearly all travelers had complied with the rules so far, and airlines were “very supportive”.

“New Zealand is not alone here – many countries are now proposing this.”

Hipkins said airlines have been vigilant to ensure travelers have followed the rules before they board their flights to NZ.

Asked about New Zealand’s access to the Covid vaccine, Hipkins said “we are very close to the front of the queue”. The first deliveries will arrive in the first quarter – “that’s the earliest time we can get … that’s the reality of manufacturing”.

Starting February 8, all passengers arriving in New Zealand – except those from exempt countries – without evidence of an approved negative test or medical certificate will be subject to an offense fee or a fine of up to $ 1000.

Hipkins said that so far only one person from the US or UK has not tested negative for Covid-19.

He added that airlines are increasingly refusing to board people who fail to produce negative tests.

But he said the Government could increase the fine if there was a higher level of non-compliance.

In addition to the new pre-departure requirements, the Government has also changed the rules surrounding Covid-19 testing in New Zealand’s managed isolation and quarantine (MIQ) facilities.

Premium Subscription

From now on, travelers arriving to New Zealand will be required to take the test on arrival – again, except for Australia, Antarctica and most Pacific Island countries.

They still have to undergo quarantine for 14 days, and undergo routine tests on the third and 12th day.

“New Zealand already has some of the strictest border protection measures in the world,” Hipkins said this morning.

“Today’s amendments further strengthen that position in line with the Government’s overall elimination strategy, and more actions can be added as needed.”

Asked about potential contact between people at MIQ facilities, such as in designated smoking areas, Hipkins said the Government has tightened social distancing measures.

Hipkins said the primary obligation was on travelers to comply with regulations – but airlines were also expected to play a role in checking whether passengers had negative test evidence.

Full list of countries and territories not included in the expanded pre-departure requirements:

• Antarctica
• Australia
• Cook Islands
• Federated States of Micronesia
• Fiji
• Kiribati
• Marshall Island
• Nauru
• New Caledonia
• Niue
• Palau
• Samoa
• Solomon Islands
• Tokelau
• Tonga
• Tuvalu
• Vanuatu
• Wallis and Futuna.

.



image source

Bumper-to-bumper traffic for many travelers across New Zealand returning home | Instant News


Traffic is expected to occur along this section of State Highway 1 today when the tourists return home. Photo / Martin Sykes

Traffic was blazing fast towards Auckland with traffic turning nearly 12 km along the state’s main thoroughfare this afternoon.

A car driver said traffic north of Spinuru in South Waikato is bumper to bumper to Tirau. He said it took an hour to get to Pairere and traffic was still crawling to Cambridge.

Further south, a serious accident temporarily closed the main highway through Levin.

It’s bumper-to-bumper on parts of the SH1 between Topuni and Wellsford, via the Warkworth jam and the North Highway to Auckland.

The longest lines affect the stretch of road between Topuni and Wellsford, with riders facing a slow and congested race of at least 12 km.

Travelers returning from a long weekend getaway are warned to wait in line all afternoon when they return home.

Earlier, the New Zealand Transport Agency reminded motorists to allow extra time on their way back to major hubs today on both ends of the North Island.

A serious accident on SH1 near Avenue North Rd closed off the highway before 2pm. Drivers passing through the area are asked to follow emergency service instructions and are warned of delays.

Traffic is expected to be heavy throughout the day on State Highway 1 at Kakakawa in the Bay of Islands leading south and through Kāpiti which runs between Peka Peka and Ōtaki.

The heaviest traffic in the north is expected to be between 10 a.m. and 1 p.m., and it is busy between 1 p.m. and 6 p.m. today.

At the other end of the island, traffic is expected to be heavy between 11am and 7pm.

The holiday highway toll is currently at six, five higher than last year and the worst since 2017.

Premium Subscription

.



image source

Nearly half of companies in the UK saw a decline in sales in the third quarter | Instant News


(MENAFN) The British Chamber of Commerce (BCC) has stated in a recent survey that nearly half of companies in the UK recorded a decline in domestic sales in the third quarter (Q3) of 2020 despite the resurgence of many businesses.

The BCC Quarterly Economic Survey states that along with the 6,410 companies surveyed by BCC, 46 percent of them recorded a decline in domestic sales in Q3, losing as much as 73 percent in the previous quarter, suggesting a weak performance that continues amid the crash. of the Coronavirus pandemic.

Chief economist Suren Thiru at BCC stated that “Our latest survey shows that the underlying economic conditions remained very weak in the third quarter,”.

Thiru stated that although the downturn in movements is slowing as business picks up, they remain “far from pre-pandemic levels with little sign of a quick ‘V’ shape recovery.”

MENAFN0410202000450000ID1100899725

Legal Disclaimer: MENAFN provides information “as is” without warranty of any kind. We are not responsible or liable for the accuracy, content, images, videos, licenses, completeness, legality or reliability of the information contained in this article. If you have a complaint or copyright issue related to this article, please contact the provider above.

.



image source

Durbin Discusses Withdrawal of Troops from Germany, Covid-19 Testing with the Minister of Defense | Instant News




Durbin Discusses Withdrawal of Troops from Germany, Testing Covid-19 with the Minister of Defense | RiverBender.com



























.



image source

Germany paid nearly $ 1.13 million to relatives of victims of the Hanau terror attack | Instant News


The German government has so far paid 1.09 million euros ($ 1.13 million) to relatives of those who lost their lives in racist terror attacks in the city of Hanau.

Reported by the German press based on information obtained from the Ministry of the Interior, 105,000 euros paid to the relatives of each victim.

According to legal regulations adopted in 2010, victims of racist or terrorist attacks are compensated in Germany. Since 2011, the German government has agreed to pay 668 claims by people who are victims of right-wing attacks. A total of 7.7 million euros have been paid based on this payment between 2011 and 2020.

Germany was rocked by two shootings by Tobias Rathjen, a terrorist who held racist views. Rathjen stormed into two shisha sticks and fatally shot nine foreign descendants, including five Turks, during the February 19 attack in the center of Hanau. The 43-year-old man then returned home and killed his 72-year-old mother and herself. He has disseminated obscure thoughts, conspiracy theories that don’t make sense, and racist views online.

Racist attacks targeting Muslims or immigrants increasingly made headlines when white supremacy became more efficient in an age where their ideals, or at least some of them, became mainstream. The latest report shows that criminal offenses inspired by left and right wing ideas are increasing in Germany in 2019, an annual domestic intelligence report released by the Ministry of the Interior showed last week.

Chancellor Angela Merkel’s government was forced to act last year over right-wing political violence after the killing of a pro-immigration politician and an attack on a synagogue and a kebab shop by an anti-Semitic gunman, who killed two people. The government imposed tougher rules on gun ownership and tighter monitoring of online hate speech, responding to increased hate crime.

People with right-wing extremist views committed more than 22,300 violations by 2019, Interior Ministry figures showed, including two murders, five attempted murders and nearly 800 bodily injuries, an increase of nearly 10%.

.



image source