Tag Archives: Anadolu Agency

The victim was terrorized by the extremist father | Instant News


COLOGNE

Nearly a year after the far-right terror attack in Hanau, the families of victims and immigrants in the German city live in constant fear due to threatening behavior by the dead attacker’s father.

“We have asked for police protection, told the authorities that we are not safe here as long as he lives in this city,” Cetin Gultekin, whose brother was killed by far-right extremist Tobias Rathjen, told Anadolu Agency, adding that the population had not yet. but received a positive response.

He said Rathjen’s father, Hans-Gerd Rathjen, sent various letters to the authorities in which he made racist comments about immigrants and talked about getting rid of foreigners.

“This person is a danger to the community. He may not have a gun, but he can use his car as a weapon, shoot at people, ”he said.

Rathjen has patrolled neighborhood streets with his German Shepherd and targeted immigrants with verbal attacks, according to Gultekin.

The young Rathjen attacked two cafes in Hanau last February and killed nine people with a migration background, before killing himself and his mother in their home.

His father, known by authorities to be a follower of conspiracy theories and racist and xenophobic views, did not condemn the deadly attack and said his son was innocent.

The 73-year-old asked the authorities to return the pistol and ammunition seized from his son and attempted to get his son’s blocked propaganda site back online.

He also petitioned the city council to destroy the memorial that was built for the victims of the terror attack.


The Anadolu Agency website contains only a portion of the news offered to subscribers on the AA News Broadcasting System (HAS), and is in summary form. Please contact us for subscription options.

.



image source

New Zealand is likely to approve a Pfizer vaccine next week | Instant News


ANKARA

New Zealand’s drug regulator is likely to approve a Pfizer vaccine for emergency use in the country next week, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said on Tuesday.

Ardern’s announcement comes just a day after the country confirmed its first case of the South African variant of the coronavirus.

“We are making fast progress in vaccinating New Zealanders against the virus, but we are also truly committed to ensuring the vaccine is safe and effective,” Ardern said in a statement posted on the official government website.

Medsafe drug regulators will seek advice and recommendations from the Drug Assessment Advisory Committee on vaccines next Tuesday.

“The Minister’s expert advisory committee will review Medsafe’s risk-benefit assessment of pharmaceutical company data and, depending on the feedback, Medsafe may be able to provide interim approval immediately the following day,” he added.

“We aim to vaccinate as many New Zealanders as possible – so that’s potentially 5 million people,” he said.

“Opening up to the outside world is too risky at this stage,” he said, ruling out lifting travel restrictions.

On Monday, Australia suspended free quarantine travel for New Zealanders.

Genome testing has shown that a 56-year-old woman from the Northland region of New Zealand has a variant of the disease in South Africa.

New Zealand has so far reported 2,290 cases and 25 deaths.

* Written by Islamuddin Sajid


The Anadolu Agency website contains only a portion of the news offered to subscribers on the AA News Broadcasting System (HAS), and is in summary form. Please contact us for subscription options.

.



image source

COVID-19 cases decreased for 4 consecutive days | Instant News


BERLIN

Germany had reported a drop in new coronavirus cases on Monday, as new infections remained below 18,000 for the fourth straight day.

The Robert Koch Institute (RKI) recorded 6,729 new infections over the past 24 hours, compared with 12,257 the day before. The daily increase was 16,417 on Friday, and 17,862 on Thursday.

Government spokesman Steffen Seibert said the numbers had decreased thanks to last month’s lockdown measures.

“It was the result of the lockdown action and the way it was implemented by millions of people in a disciplined manner,” Seibert said at a press conference in Berlin.

But he also underlined that the government was not considering relaxing the lockdown measures because of the “very serious risk” posed by the rapidly spreading variant of the coronavirus.

Last week, Chancellor Angela Merkel’s coalition government decided to extend the tight lockdown to February 14, as a precaution to contain the mutation of the more contagious coronavirus.

The German Health Ministry confirmed that British, Brazilian and South African variants of the virus had recently been detected in the country, and announced a new program to track the mutation of the coronavirus.

As of Saturday, Berlin’s Humboldt Vivantes Hospital has been placed under quarantine after more than a dozen patients and hospital staff tested positive for the British variant (B117) virus.

Germany handled the first wave of the coronavirus pandemic relatively well, but the second wave has hammered European economies since November.

The country saw a record number of new infections and deaths earlier this month.

Germany currently has the fifth-highest coronavirus infection count in Western Europe, behind Britain, France, Spain and Italy.

The national total now stands at more than 2.14 million cases with at least 52,087 deaths.


The Anadolu Agency website contains only a portion of the news offered to subscribers on the AA News Broadcasting System (HAS), and is in summary form. Please contact us for subscription options.

.



image source

Italy is demanding a response from Egypt to Regeni’s murder | Instant News


ROME

The Italian president said on Monday he expected a response from Egypt and solidarity from the EU over the unsolved 2016 assassination of Italian student Giulio Regeni in Cairo.

Sergio Mattarella said in his message on the fifth anniversary of Regeni’s disappearance that the image of who was responsible for the crime emerged after an investigation by Italian prosecutors.

“We expect a full and adequate response from the Egyptian authorities, as our diplomacy continues to urge.”

Demonstrating the importance of the EU’s interest in this case, Mattarella said he hoped to see the EU’s commitment to solidarity converging “to reach the truth and bring those involved in these crimes to justice.”

Italian prosecutors last Wednesday asked that four Egyptian officials be tried for the killings in Egypt.

Regeni, a 28-year-old doctoral student studying in Egypt, disappeared on January 25, 2016, the fifth anniversary of the popular uprising that forced President Hosni Mubarak to step down after 30 years in power. Nine days later, her body was found on the highway.

Egyptian authorities deny involvement in Regeni’s death, but observers note that the signs of torture on his body closely resemble those caused by the torture by Egyptian police.


The Anadolu Agency website contains only a portion of the news offered to subscribers on the AA News Broadcasting System (HAS), and is in summary form. Please contact us for subscription options.

.



image source

France, Germany, Britain condemn the air strike attempt in Riyadh | Instant News


LONDON

The governments of France, Germany and Britain on Monday condemned the attempted air strike in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.

“E3 – France, Germany and Britain – strongly condemns the attempted air strike on Riyadh on January 23, 2021,” the three countries said in a joint statement.

“The proliferation and use of missiles and drones undermines the security and stability of the region, which is our strong commitment,” the statement added.

“We reaffirm our strong attachment to Saudi security and territorial integrity.”

The Saudi-led coalition in Yemen said Saturday that it shot down an aerial target that was fired at the Saudi capital, Riyadh.

The coalition did not provide further details, but Saudi media said the target was a missile fired by Houthi rebels in Yemen.

There were no comments from the Houthis on the report.

Rebels siding with Iran have repeatedly announced rocket and drone attacks on Saudi territory in response to what they say are Saudi-led attacks on Yemen.

Yemen has been wracked by violence and chaos since 2014, when Houthi rebels overran much of the country, including the capital Sanaa. The crisis escalated in 2015 when the Saudi-led coalition launched an air campaign aimed at rolling back Houthi territorial gains.

According to the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs, the conflict in Yemen has so far claimed the lives of 233,000 people.


The Anadolu Agency website contains only a portion of the news offered to subscribers on the AA News Broadcasting System (HAS), and is in summary form. Please contact us for subscription options.

.



image source