EU Stiff Food Import Standard and California Wine Renewal
From the Ag Information Network, I’m Bob Larson with Your Agribusiness Renewal.
** Livestock organizations from across the country sent letters to Senate Committee chairman Ag Pat Roberts, and Congressman Collin Peterson, chair of the Ag House Committee, encouraging support of S. 4647 and HR 8557, the proposed Cattle Market Transparency Act 2020.
The letter said the two measures represented a balanced approach between providing key information and transparency for cattle producers while maintaining the confidentiality of the packaging sector.
The groups are calling for full and fair consideration and trial on the first suitable date possible.
** The EU is moving to raise environmental and food safety standards for agriculture under the “Farm to Fork” strategy, which will eventually also apply to food imports.
Mercatus Center economist Christine McDaniel said if the EU went this path in a way consistent with the WTO, it would be up to American farmers and food processors to figure out how to meet European consumer demand within the Farm to Fork guardrail.
** About a quarter of Sonoma County’s grapes will not be picked this year, according to estimates released last week.
The Sonoma County Grape Growers Organization said the wildfires and economic problems related to the pandemic were causing losses, which could total more than $ 150 million.
More than 70% of farmers surveyed said at least some of them
their grapes will not be picked or rejected by the wineries due to forest fires or associated smoke.
A joint fact-finding committee has been set up by the Interior Ministry with “Prime Minister Imran Khan’s special instructions” to investigate the alleged kidnapping of a Karachi-based journalist.
Reporter Ali Imran Syed linked to a private news channel came home safely on Saturday night nearly 22 hours after he allegedly disappeared from near his home in the metropolis last night.
The first informative report (FIR) of her alleged kidnapping was also registered with her brother’s complaint at the Sachal police station against an unknown suspect.
“The committee will be chaired by the Additional Director General of FIA Ehsan Sadiq and its members including the Sindh Special Branch GI Supplement, the Joint Director General IB Sindh and DIG East Sindh Police, Karachi,” said a statement issued by the ministry of interior.
The committee will ensure close coordination between the federal and provincial governments to ascertain the causes behind the incident and provide its findings, he added.
The statement said equal representation of the two governments on the committee was ensured “so that input from all stakeholders is included in the report in a fair and transparent manner”.
“Prime Minister [Imran Khan] “has always been very clear and firm in the past about such matters and expressed a desire to ensure the rule of law in this country,” said the official communique.
Commissioner Stevens has revealed there are now 12 New Zealand tourists in hotel quarantine and they are being contacted for release.
“I am pleased to announce that with the arrival of New Zealanders in SA, they will no longer be required to quarantine,” he said.
“We are also pleased to receive direct flights from New Zealand.
Commissioner Stevens said SA authorities had been in direct contact with New Zealand authorities and there was now a “level of comfort” that would allow the state’s coronavirus transition committee to make its decision.
“We don’t have specific advice yet regarding the status of COVID-19 in New Zealand [when the travellers arrived], “Said Commissioner Stevens.
“Health advice has been assessed through direct communication through our Chief Public Health Officer with New Zealand authorities and there is a level of comfort there in terms of the level of COVID-19 that will allow us to make this decision.”
Commissioner Stevens said it was unfortunate that some travelers had experienced such discomfort in such a short time.
“But we do not apologize for taking steps to ensure the safety of the South Australian community,” he said.
“These people will be uncomfortable for a relatively short time, while we are making the right assessment of the risk in South Australia.”
SA is loosening its tough border with Victoria
To date, people from Victoria – including South Australian citizens – have been barred from traveling to SA unless they have essential traveler status.
Under the changes announced today, people will be allowed to move to South Australia without exception, but they will have to self-isolate for 14 days upon arrival.
Changes do not apply to short-term stays.
“People from Victoria who are trying to move to South Australia – we are changing course to allow them to do so without having to look for exceptions,” said Commissioner Stevens.
“They must provide specific information regarding permanent employment or accommodation. We will be able to allow this to occur without having to implement an exemption process.
Those restrictions will also be relaxed to allow people to travel between communities across borders without any particular reason.
“If you live in a cross-border community, you can travel freely within 70 kilometers on either side of the border, with no specific destination… identified.”
The state transition committee has not explained when the border changes will take effect.
NZ travelers have been released from quarantine
It didn’t take long for some of the recent arrivals from New Zealand to be notified of the change in protocol, and released from quarantine.
Rob, who had been in New Zealand as a key worker, was put into an Adelaide hotel after being quarantined in NSW.
He said he had struggled to get an immediate answer on quarantine obligations.
“We sat at the airport for about an hour and a half waiting to find out which hotel to go to – you know, four police officers were sitting there and nobody knew.”
Eighteen-year-old Casey, who traveled from Auckland and was released from quarantine today, blamed the authorities for the border chaos.
“On their website – I saw a lot of things – it said some things I could, some things that said I couldn’t, it was all confusing,” he said.
She said she was now “really excited because I had a party and things I had to attend”.
The bubble movement follows controversy
Federal Tourism Minister Simon Birmingham urged South Australia to join the trans-Tasman travel bubble this morning.
“I think it’s a very, very strong basis for South Australia to think about joining New South Wales and the Northern Territory in allowing New Zealanders to enter SA free of charge,” he told ABC Radio Adelaide.
The Birmingham minister said there was only “one active case [in] all of New Zealand “and as such NSW and NT have opened their borders” on the basis of good health and health “.
A committee has been formed to examine allegedly sham domiciles in Sindh, a provincial legal officer told the Sindh High Court (SHC) in a case related to sham domicile in the province.
The legal officer issued a notice regarding the constitution of a committee tasked with examining suspected fraudulent domiciles in Sindh.
MPA Muttahida Qaumi-Pakistan Movement (MQM-P) Khawaja Izharul Hasan, one of the applicants, questioned the competence of the committee, stating that its members had no knowledge of fake and genuine domicile. He said a commission should be formed to investigate the issuance of fake domiciles for non-residents of Karachi and other cities. He noted that the provincial government had failed to take action against issuing fake domiciles to non-residents of Karachi, Hyderabad and Sukkur, despite some complaints. He added that government jobs were sold out after the issuance of fake domiciles to non-residents while permanent residents of Sindh urban areas, including Karachi, Hyderabad and Sukkur, were deprived of their rights.
The chair of the SHC division chaired by Judge Mohammad Ali Mazhar after noting the comments, postponed the hearing at the request of an applicant wishing to review documents, and directed the office to fix the problem on November 2.
Hasan and other MPAs have petitioned that non-residents of the city be granted domicile by the government which would deprive Karachi residents of government jobs.
They said domicile and permanent residence certificate (PRC) should not be given to non-residents because it is the right of city residents to apply for government jobs.
The petitioners claim that non-residents have managed to secure government jobs and admission to professional universities based on sham domicile and PRC with urban quotas, which deprive Karachi citizens of government jobs and admission to professional colleges and universities.
The applicant’s lawyer said that the commissioner and deputy commissioner (DC) had been informed about the issuance of fake domicile and RRC along with evidence; however, no action was taken against the officer in charge.
The lawyer said that the commissioner and DC had guaranteed that they would be vigilant in the future but brokers and agents still facilitated the wider community in issuing fake domiciles and PRCs.
The lawyers argued that it was the government’s duty to ensure transparency and benefit in government work, and asked the SHC to direct the government to ensure that domicile should not be granted to non-residents. The high court was also asked to form a committee to examine the domicile and PRC issued from 2008 to the present.
The chief secretary previously made comments on the petition stating that a certificate of domicile was issued under Section 17 of the Pakistan Citizenship Act. He said that there is no specific number of people who describe the urban population as migrating to urban areas in search of livelihoods and education, etc. He said that if a person moves to another district, gives up his previous district domicile and proves his permanent residence in the new district to the satisfaction of the authority concerned, he will be given a new district domicile as stipulated in the regulations.
The chief secretary proposed that Section 17 of the Pakistani Citizenship Act and Rule 23 of the Pakistani Citizenship Code entitles the person applying in a prescribed manner containing specified details for the awarding of the certificate which
the relevant authority (deputy commissioner) issues the same.
He said that in accordance with the 60 percent rural and 40 percent urban quota, every citizen in the relevant area has equal rights and opportunities to compete for recruitment. He said that anyone who is harmed by the provision of a domicile certificate / RRT can choose an appeal before the authorities concerned for the cancellation of documents according to law.
The main secretary stated that the nationality regulation provides for an investigation of a person if he obtained citizenship or domicile through fraud or false representation and if the person’s information is found to be false and in that case the person will be prosecuted under Article 177 Pakistan Criminal Code. He asked the SHC to reject the petition because it was untenable given the existing rules that provide a legal forum for compensation in the issuance of domicile / RRC under Rule 8 of the PRC Rule 1971.
Maulana Adil murder case: Four members of the investigation committee were formed to arrest the suspect
KARACHI (Dunya News) – A four-member investigative committee has been formed to arrest the accused involved in the murder of Maulana Adil Khan and his driver in Karachi, while the assault case has been registered with the Shah Faisal police station.
According to details, expanding the scope of the investigation into the murder of Maulana Adil Khan, a high-level four-member committee consisting of Karachi Police officers has been formed at the direction of IG Sindh Mushtaq Mehr.
According to Karachi Police, the committee will be led by Karachi Police Chief Ghulam Nabi Memon. The committee consists of DIG CTD Omar Shahid, DI East and SSP Korangi.
The statement said that the questionnaire committee would update IG Sindh every day. The committee will be able to get members from other units to help.
Meanwhile, the murder case of Maulana Adil Khan and his driver has been registered upon complaint to the SHO Shah Faisal police station. The lawsuit includes murder and anti-terrorism provisions. After the case has been registered, the investigation has shifted to CTD.