Tag Archives: covid 19 canada

The men’s world curling championship playoff has been postponed due to COVID-19 | Instant News


EQUIPMENT – The men’s world curling championships in Calgary remained on the defensive pattern of Saturday, missing the finish line due to a positive test for the COVID-19 virus.

Four members of three international teams tested positive for the virus in “exit” tests before leaving Canada. They show no symptoms of the coronavirus.

A playoff match and a pair of semifinals were canceled on Saturday. The world championships are scheduled to close on Sunday with gold and bronze medal matches.

Four additional teams came into close contact with the infected individual.

The World Curling Federation and Canadian Curling await tests carried out on the remaining five playoff teams on Saturday to determine whether the championship can resume at WinSport’s Markin MacPhail Center.

“We’re trying to solve this,” said Scott Arnold, head of development at WCF.

“We are doing everything in our power to do that, but we will have to wait for the testing to see if we actually provide it for us.”

The athletes and team personnel were quarantined in their hotel rooms on Saturday.

Shortly after Canada’s Brendan Bottcher was knocked out of the row by Scotland on Friday evening, WCF announced an infection had been detected among the participants and was suspending competition.

“Obviously devastated,” said Nolan Thiessen, director of broadcast, marketing, innovation, event presentation and athlete liaison at Curling Canada.

“Our friends, colleagues, team-mates, our broadcast partners, are completely devastated, but we will find out, find out what happened and see if we can still compete this season.

“Health and safety comes first and we will find out which side of the championship later.”

Alberta Health and the Public Health Agency of Canada approved Curling Canada’s plans to hold events in a controlled, closed environment from the general public.

The men’s world championships are the fourth event in the Calgary curling bubble after the Canadian men’s, women’s and mixed curling championships, where no cases of COVID-19 have been reported.

It is not yet known whether the positive cases at the world championships involve a variant of the virus, said Dr. Bob McCormack, who is the chief medical officer for the curling center.

Curling Canada adopted many elements of Hockey Canada’s operations at the world junior men’s hockey championships in Edmonton from December 25 to January 5.

International curling teams do not arrive in Canada on charter flights as hockey players do, but fly on a commercial basis.

A negative test taken less than 72 hours before traveling to Calgary is required.

Upon arrival in Calgary, athletes and team personnel began a week-long “managed quarantine protocol” with four separate tests conducted during that time span before the brace was allowed to compete.

The 14 teams, including 13 from other countries, kick off the men’s world championships on April 2.

Teams are confined to their arena and hotel across the Trans-Canada Highway, and self-drive back and forth.

Masks are mandatory outside hotel rooms and outside the playing field, and hand sanitizer is readily available, but the damaging corona virus has infiltrated the curly bubbles.

“We really judge that when we talk,” said Thiessen. “It’s part of the contact tracing process. We are trying to find out not only where it is spreading, but where it could be. “

WCF’s preference is to finish events on Sundays. Pushing it into the next week is a logistical nightmare for broadcast and property reasons.

A pair of Grand Slams, which are Rogers Sportsnet property and not Curling Canada’s, are scheduled to start Wednesday in Calgary.

The Humpty Championship Cup will be followed April 20-25 by the Girls Car Players Championship.

The tournament featured Canadian and international men’s and women’s teams, including four teams competing in the men’s championships.

Athletes who are not at a world championship will come to undergo testing and quarantine protocols for the Grand Slam, but do not join the world championship team.

“The athletes were at different locations completing their entry protocol for the Grand Slam,” said Dr. Danielle Kelton, onsite medic in Calgary.

“We are communicating with them and they are not in direct contact with any athletes who are currently in the bubble.”

The women’s world curling championship, moved from Switzerland to Calgary, from April 30 to May 9.

McCormack believes the virus-free bubble curl can be healed for future events.

“There are things that are not yet known that we need to resolve, but I am sure this will continue,” he said.

“Even though we have a problem with the men’s world, we have a chance to rebuild the same clean bubble with the Tournament of Hearts, which is different from the Brier, which is different from the Canadian mixed championships, which is different from the world.

“They are separate events, so I hope we can not only finish this event – it is a moving target – but we will be able to create new bubbles for the next safe event.”

This report by The Canadian Press was first published on April 10, 2021.

.



image source

Coronavirus: Mexico, Brazil will not limit the AstraZeneca vaccine after the UK blood clot warning | Instant News


MEXICO CITY – Mexico and Brazil health regulators said on Wednesday they would not limit the use of AstraZeneca’s COVID-19 injections after a UK vaccine advisory committee recommended against using them for people under 30, citing the rare risk of blood clots.

Mexico’s drug regulator, Cofepris, said in a statement that it was investigating information submitted by the UK’s Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunization (JCVI) and awaiting further input from Mexican partners.

“At present, Cofepris does not plan to limit the use of the AstraZeneca vaccine to any age or group,” the statement said.

Brazilian health regulator Anvisa recommends continued use of the vaccine, saying the benefits outweigh the risks.

Anvisa said Brazil had given more than 4 million injections of the AstraZeneca vaccine and had recorded 47 adverse blood clotting events. The agency said it was impossible to determine whether the clot was related to the vaccine, nor could it identify specific risk factors.

Brazil only ranks behind the United States in total COVID-19 cases and deaths. Mexico has the fourth highest death toll.

The JCVI said it would prefer adults under 30 who do not have an underlying condition to be offered an alternative to the AstraZeneca vaccine if one is available, due to reports of rare side effects from blood clots in the brain.

Mexico has so far obtained 3.5 million doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine developed with University of Oxford researchers, according to government data.

Some of this came through a loan agreement with the United States, where AstraZeneca injections are not yet permitted, and from a deal with the Serum Institute of India, which produces the vaccine.

Mexico and Argentina also have an agreement with AstraZeneca to produce its vaccine for distribution in Latin America, with financial support from the foundation of Mexican billionaire Carlos Slim.

.



image source

European flat oysters were reintroduced to British waters after becoming extinct since the 19th century | Instant News


TORONTO – In a project that aims to return a type of oyster from the brink of extinction in British waters, thousands of people are being reintroduced into local waters for the first time since the 19th century.

The initiative is called the Wild Oyster Project, and plans to return thousands of European flat oysters to the south of the British coastline in hopes of replenishing the overfished marina.

“The oysters will breed in this building and they will release millions and billions of oyster larvae,” Ashleigh Tinlin-Mackenzie of the Wild Oysters Project told CTV National News.

The area where the oysters are released will be closed for fishing to allow the species to reproduce.

In an effort to repopulate the native oysters that once thrived in the area during the 18th and 19th centuries, mollusks are expected to produce millions of oyster larvae in the project’s first year.

“They are a product of the North Sea and they are our product here. They are the environment they come from, “said Christopher Sutherland, a farmer at Lindisfarne Oysters, an oyster farm based on the northeast coast of England.

European flat oysters are near extinction in many areas across Europe, including in the Solent, a strait in England, where they have declined by nearly 95 percent since the 1800s due to overfishing and coastal pollution.

Experts say oysters play an important role in marine ecosystems and underwater biodiversity.

Oysters are considered “sea superheroes” because they filter up to 200 liters of seawater every day and remove contaminants.

“The goal is for these larvae to travel out to sea and find the best place for them to survive, they will settle on the ocean floor and they will create these very diverse reefs,” said Tinlin-Mackenzie.

The organization says the ultimate goal of the project is to clean up coastal waters in the UK and help experts better understand the ecology and biodiversity of oyster species.

“Offshore oyster reefs have the ability to slow wave action and also lock sediment in place. It will be of great benefit to people who live on land, through preventing coastal erosion and also reducing the risk of flooding, “said Zahra Ravenscroft, a senior marine officer with the Environment Agency.

The project currently has 94 of 141 underwater habitat plans installed in Wales and England.

.



image source

Canadian families living in New Zealand receive a COVID-19 benefit check addressed to the daughter who died | Instant News


TORONTO – A Canadian family who has lived in New Zealand for the past 18 years said they had received a COVID-19 benefit check addressed to their disabled daughter who died in 2009, despite never applying for any financial assistance.

Sandra Walsh and her family moved from Winnipeg to Christchurch, NZ in 2003 with their four children. At that time, their youngest daughter Bonnie, who had Down’s syndrome, was one year old.

Walsh explained in Zoom’s interview with CTVNews.ca in March that Bonnie was diagnosed with cancer two years after arriving in New Zealand. Bonnie later died in 2009, at the age of seven.

“Imagine my surprise to find a letter from the Government of Canada in our mailbox, here in Christchurch, a check for $ 600,” Walsh said.

Walsh said no information was included with the check, the memo line simply said, “Benefit Payment,” and it was addressed to Bonnie.

Walsh said the family notified the Canadian consulate in New Zealand when Bonnie died and filled out related documents in 2009. He said the family later received a death certificate for Bonnie, as well as her canceled passport.

Walsh said they had not received a letter from the Canadian government since.

When the COVID-19 pandemic hit, Walsh said the family did not apply for any financial assistance through the Canadian government, because they do not live in Canada and do not need support.

“I didn’t even think about doing that, because we don’t really have a pandemic here in New Zealand,” Walsh said.

“It seems strange that the Canadian government would send pandemic support to someone living in New Zealand,” he added.

While Walsh admitted it was clear there was a mistake in issuing a check to a deceased Canadian citizen living in another country, he said he was confused about how no one caught the mistake before the check landed in New Zealand.

“It just takes a lot of money to make a check, do all the work and then send it,” he said, adding that the resources could be used for other Canadians who are still alive and in need.

PANDEMIC ASSISTANCE

Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) told CTVNews.ca on Tuesday that a benefit check addressed to Bonnie was a one-time payment of $ 600 for PwDs to help with additional costs incurred amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

“Many Canadians are eligible for this one-time payment, including Canadians with a Disability Tax Credit (DTC) certificate, and recipients of a Canadian Pension Plan Disability (CPPD), Quebec Pension Plan (QPPD) disability pension, and seven Canadian Veterans Affairs Benefits ( VAC) from July 1, 2020, “said ESDC in an emailed statement.

“Because children with disabilities can qualify for DTC, some will receive a one-time stipend.”

The ESDC explained that the payment was based on Canadian Revenue Agency records and said the agency “will only have information about a person’s death if a family member has contacted CRA or Service Canada to notify them of the child’s death.”

“If the children do not have an identifiable Canada Child Benefit (CCB) parent or guardian at the CRA by July 1, 2020, the check will be written in their name,” said ESDC.

According to the ESDC, a one-time payment is provided to an estimated 1.7 million Canadians with a disability.

The department did not provide information on whether it had been notified of another check sent in error, but said Walsh’s case was “extremely rare and unfortunate.”

“The Canadian government deeply regrets the immeasurable loss of this family,” said ESDC.

While Walsh said his family notified the government of Bonnie’s death through the Canadian consulate in New Zealand in 2009, he said he was not told he was responsible for contacting separate departments within the government, including CRA, to make sure each one knew. Bonnie has died.

“Being in New Zealand we did the right thing by contacting the Canadian consulate here, who told us we could file our child’s death with them and they would pass the information on to the government. The consulate acknowledged it was an amazing experience. And they will take it from there, “explained Walsh.

Since her family left Canada when Bonnie was a baby, Walsh said she didn’t expect her daughter to have any record with CRA.

“Given that we never received a Disability Tax Credit certificate or any payment for our child with disabilities and left the country when he was one year old, I’m not sure how there will be records of where the Disability Tax Credit certificate came from to issue the payment,” said Walsh.

Walsh said he hopes other parents do not have to “experience the joy of the letter addressed to their deceased child” because they did not inform CRA of their death.

Since Bonnie turns 19 in June, Walsh said he understands why the check was issued in his name. However, he said it would not make sense for the government to then say the payment went to his parents’ address in New Zealand.

COULD BE ‘VERY STRONG’ FOR OTHERS

When Walsh found the letter in his mailbox, he said he was confused and a little surprised. If he received the check a year or two after Bonnie died, he said it “would knock him down.”

“If someone’s child has recently died and they get a support check, it can be very upsetting,” Walsh said, adding that this is not the first time Bonnie has received a letter after her death.

She explained that her family received a satisfaction survey from Bonnie’s hospital regarding a missed appointment. Walsh said he missed the appointment because he had died.

Although Walsh never planned to cash the check because it was not addressed to him, he said it would be great to donate to the New Zealand Champion Center, which provides multi-disciplinary early intervention services to children with significant disabilities, in Bonnie’s honor. .

“But I don’t think I should have done it. It would be a scam … to cash my daughter’s check who has not lived for 12 years,” he said.

ESDC told CTVNews.ca that “payment must be refunded” and provided a mailing address and website link at what to do when a loved one dies to be forwarded to Walsh.

He said the information on the link was “informative,” but a little late.

“If our other child dies, we now know what to do. I don’t know if the link was available twelve years ago,” Walsh said in response.

He said no one from ESDC or CRA had contacted him directly about the check.

Walsh said he would return the check if he could find it. He said CRA can freeze him until then.

“There’s a picture of it. Feel free to stop paying Bonnie’s check. She won’t cash it any time soon,” Walsh said.

Edited by Ryan Flanagan of CTVNews.ca

.



image source

Swiss women soldiers are finally able to stop wearing men’s underwear | Instant News


For the first time, an Swiss Army will give it female recruits women’s underwear, as a visible force to attract more women to its ranks.

Currently, female soldiers are provided with men’s underwear, but two different sets of women’s underwear, for warmer and cooler weather, will be tested during trials starting next month, Kaj-Gunnar Sievert, spokesman for Armasuisse, procurement of the Swiss armed forces organization, said Wednesday.

Armasuisse told CNN in a statement that “the previous army equipment and uniforms were either too little or not adapted to the specific needs of women.”

The underwear trials are part of a broader military uniform update, developed and designed in the 1980s, according to Armasuisse.

“During the developmental phase, women’s ergonomics, among other things, is taken into account,” the statement continued.

While men and women will wear the same combat uniform, items have been updated to allow for individual customization. For example, the new camouflage trousers will feature an adjustable belt.

The underwear news emerged shortly after the army announced its desire to attract more female recruits.

To mark International Women’s Day earlier this month, the Swiss Federal Department of Defense, Civil Protection and Sports said it wanted to increase the proportion of women in the military.

The ministry said it would implement “new services for women” and promote “the reconciliation of military, employment, education and family services.”

Women make up less than 1% of the Swiss army, but officials want to increase the proportion to 10% by 2030. In 2019, Viola Amherd became the first female defense minister in the country’s history.

.



image source