LAHORE: Pakistan’s head coach and chief selector Misbah-ul-Haq said being locked up at home because the locking forced with the corona virus could be depressing and wanted some cricket activity to continue immediately even though the match had to be carried out behind closed doors with adequate security. resistance.
There are reports that the Cricket Board of England and Wales (ECB) are considering rescheduling and arranging three Test matches against Pakistan in August behind closed doors at Manchester Old Trafford and Southampton.
Misbah said he would be happy to see some of the cricket activities continued at the international level and had no problems playing in an empty stadium.
“This is not an ideal situation for anyone because of this coronavirus pandemic and obviously the health and well-being of all people must be our top priority.
“But if a match can be held even in an empty stadium with proper security barriers … I won’t have a problem,” he said.
The former captain said that the players did not have much to do but stay indoors for the past two months since the Pakistan Super League (PSL) was canceled due to the global health crisis in March.
“Everyone is confined and I just think that if it is even possible to bring some direct cricket action to people sitting at home, it will help them a lot,” Misbah said.
“It’s sad when you don’t have any activity and hear most of the COVID-19 news all the time. In this situation if exercise can continue and if cricket starts at least it will allow people to watch cricket at home.”
Misbah, who took over last year in September, said if proper security barriers and preventive measures were imposed on players, match officials and other stake holders, the cricket board could move forward.
He, however, warned that councils must follow their government’s instructions on coronavirus.
The German football league, the Bundesliga will start again on May 16 and Misbah said that was positive news.
“But even they first got permission from their government. Cricket boards also had to do that,” he said.
The 45-year-old said the players were responsible for maintaining fitness standards during this testing period and he hoped they would be in top shape each time cricket continued.
“I told them as cricket professionals, it was their personal responsibility to look after themselves and their fitness. Because they could be called on duty at any time,” he said.
He said he had told the players that fitness standards were very important at this time because if they were fit they could also return to shape and match fitness quickly.