KARACHI: The Sindh Education and Literacy Department has decided not to close schools and winter holidays but to allow the administration to move educational activities online.
The developments came during a meeting of key stakeholders in the province’s education sector with Education Minister Sindh Saeed Ghani as chair on Saturday.
Ghani said after the meeting that the Sindh Education Ministry’s decision represented the province’s position and that a national decision on the matter would eventually be taken on 23 November, when representatives from all provinces would meet and debate the issue.
Meeting for deliberate security measures
The provincial education department’s Steering Committee met here on Saturday to discuss coronavirus safety measures recommended by the National Command and Operations Center (NCOC) given the soaring new cases of COVID-19.
Setting aside the NCOC recommendation to cancel the winter break earlier this year and extend it to January, it was decided by the Steering Committee that the coronavirus safety standard operating procedures would be strictly enforced in schools to avoid spreading the disease among children.
All stakeholders attending the meeting agreed not to close schools for now or allow winter holidays in the province this year.
The Saturday meeting was attended by school secretaries, college secretaries and chairmen of various education boards.
The participants discussed the various challenges posed by the corona virus and the NCOC recommendations related to the same.
“The federal government wants children to be home educated from November 25 to December 24, and then holidays are announced from December 25 to January 10,” Ghani said after the meeting.
“During this period, parents will take homework from school every week.”
“There is no doubt that COVID-19 cases are increasing and the positivity rate has reached 3.7% in the last few days,” Ghani said.