Tag Archives: Die

Kiwi found dead after an alleged shark attack in Australia | Instant News


New Zealand man Duncan Craw, pictured with wife Taylia and son Levi, is believed to have been killed by a shark in Australia. Photo / Provided

A New Zealand man was found dead after an alleged shark attack during a snorkeling trip in South Australia.

Duncan Craw’s Kiwi family said it was impossible to describe the hole a “cheerful, loving, helpful” and naughty man would leave in the lives of those he knows.

Relatives of the 32-year-old man said he moved to Australia from New Zealand at a young age before recently traveling to South Australia from his home in Warrnambool, Victoria, on a camping trip with his family.

However, while snorkeling in Port MacDonnell on a beautiful Thursday on a beautiful day, his wife Taylia lost her sight.

“The exact circumstances of Duncan’s disappearance are not yet known but given the discovery of a damaged wetsuit and sightings of the Great White in the area on Thursday, it appears that a shark was involved,” the family said in a statement.

His body has been found.

“Duncan loves to snorkel and accepts the dangers he may face at sea. He is very unlucky this time,” the statement said.

New Zealand’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade confirmed it had been contacted in connection with Craw’s death.

“The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade has not yet been approached by Duncan Craw’s family for consular assistance,” said a spokesman for MFAT.

Craw is married and has a young son named Levi.

South Australian police inspector Campbell Hill told local media outlets that an emergency team was called to the scene around 5pm last Thursday.

“We were called to a reef break just outside Port MacDonnell where we were met there by the family,” Hill told reporters.

“The man could not be found and a large-scale search was initiated involving police officers, members of the water operations and air wing, local state emergency services and fisheries.

“There are also lots of locals helping with the search, standing on paddle boards and fishing boats, or standing on the beach with binoculars.”

A police helicopter spotted a Great White Shark in the area that night.

The next morning the search team finds a badly damaged wetsuit along with other equipment that Craw is known to have used.

“Unfortunately we have collected them all and it clearly describes a fatal shark attack,” said Hill.

Craw went missing just three days before his 33rd birthday.

He is described as a very hardworking and dedicated operations manager at an agricultural company in Warrnambool, where he grew up after moving from New Zealand at a young age.

“When he’s not farming, spending time with family, or working around the property he bought with his wife Taylia, he likes to meet friends and watch or play sports, including cricket for the Woolsthorpe Cricket Club,” his family said.

“He is also Levi’s best father and a beautiful husband and best friend to Tay, his high school sweetheart.”

“She is a cheerful, affectionate and helpful child. She is a good and brash brother to her sister. She is a fun, naughty and supportive partner who has a heart of gold.”

Craw’s death came when eight Australians were killed by sharks last year – the largest since 1929.

It also happened when 19-year-old Kaelah Marlow died at Bowentown Beach in New Zealand’s Bay of Plenty earlier this month.

.



image source

Rugby: New Zealand rugby is in talks with private equity firm Silver Lake on a grand deal | Instant News


The All Blacks haka. Photos / Photosport

New Zealand Rugby negotiations with US private equity firm Silver Lake are advancing, with reports suggesting a minority stake of up to 15 percent could be sold immediately.

That Heralds first revealed NZ Rugby’s important negotiations with Silver Lake last May.

With the realization that the NZ Rugby financial model can no longer rely solely on the All Blacks to fund the game, a high-ranking NZ Rugby source explains how private investment can be made.

“You will set up an NZ Rugby subsidiary and get investment into the company in some form of partnership,” the source told Heralds in May. “You put commercial assets into the company – whether it’s a combination with Sanzaar partners and something like Super Rugby in its reincarnation, or the Rugby Championship.

“We have to get an income stream and we can’t afford to finance it ourselves.

“Of course at the Super Rugby level, our financial model is under great pressure, both the competition and our team. We are too undercapitalized. That’s a critical area.”

Follow Herald reporting, stating that negotiations with Silver Lake and other private investment firms will resume once the Super Rugby future has a solid blueprint, Sky News UK now suggests 15 per cent of the shares could be sold.

The NZ Rugby entity is temporarily valued at US $ 2 billion ($ 2.79 billion NZD).

All Blacks during the national anthem.  Photos / Photosport
All Blacks during the national anthem. Photos / Photosport

Together with Silver Lake, Bruin Sports Capital is also believed to have negotiated with NZ Rugby.

The developments come as Luxembourg-based CVC Capital Partners prepares to finalize a £ 365 million agreement for 14.5 percent of the Six Nations’ commercial rights, with a five-year deal to be confirmed later this month.

In 2018, CVC took 27 per cent ownership in the Premier League of English club rugby.

While Sky News UK reports the NZ Rugby deal could be completed by the end of the month, the Herald understands it may take up to three months to finalize the details.

In an interview with Heralds Last November, while disclosing $ 40 million in cash reserves due to the impact of Covid-19, NZ Rugby chief executive Mark Robinson confirmed talks with private investment firms were advancing over commercial rights.

“We are open to looking for partners who might invest in Rugby New Zealand,” said Robinson.

“We are only at that early stage, but obviously there is a lot of work being done around the world on that.

“It’s only right for us because we try to do our best for the game and try to explore all the avenues we investigate like this.”

Silver Lake is one of the world’s leading technology investors with a company portfolio of $ US75 billion.

Its partnership with New Zealand Rugby is likely to focus on building its digital and media rights, including broadcasting, reflecting a similar approach from City Football Group – owner of Manchester City.

Silver Lake was also part of the consortium that controlled UFC, the Mixed Martial Arts franchise, in 2016.

.



image source

PML-N leader criticized Pak PM for blackout | Instant News




ANI |
Updated:
11 Jan 2021 02:35 IS

Islamabad [Pakistan], January 11 (ANI): Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) Secretary General Ahsan Iqbal lashed out at the government after the country’s massive blackout last night, the Prime Minister said Imran Khan has ‘tried to reboot the country’.
“The country’s economy is sluggish. We are running an increasing deficit. Imran Khan thought: ‘Why don’t we reboot the country like cell phones? Maybe it will work ‘, “Iqbal said as he mocked the prime minister, reports Geo News.
“Imran sahab, this is a country, not a cell phone that will start functioning after rebooting. For God’s sake, don’t mess with a country like this. Give up your resignation and go home,” said Iqbal.
That PML-N The leader went on to say that the unprecedented closure “proves that this government is incompetent and does not qualify”.
Massive power outages were reported late Saturday night from several cities around the world Pakistan.
Cities facing disruption include Karachi, Lahore, Peshawar, Multan, Quetta, Rawalpindi, Faisalabad, Muzaffargarh, Narowal, Bhakkar, Kabirwala, Khanewal, Bahawalpur and Sukkur, Geo News reported.
Speaking at a press conference with Federal Minister for Information and Broadcasting Shibli Faraz this morning, Electric Power Minister Omar Ayub said a technical error was reported at the Guddu power plant at 11:41 p.m. yesterday when the frequency dropped from 50 to zero within seconds.
“We twice energized the Tarbela plant, which started the restoration process,” he said
He informed that electricity had been restored in Islamabad, Faisalabad, Jhang and Multan, while K-Electric had provided 400MVA.
Earlier, in a tweet, Islamabad Deputy Commissioner Hamza Shafqaat said the blackout was caused by a trip over the National Transmission & Despatch Company (NTDC) system. (ANI)

.



image source

Pakistan experiences massive power outages, cities including Islamabad, Karachi slipping into darkness | World News | Instant News


ISLAMABAD: Several cities and towns across Pakistan were pitch black on Saturday (Jan 9) evening after massive power outages due to faults in the electricity distribution system, according to media reports. Power outages were reported before midnight almost simultaneously in many cities. Residents of Karachi, Rawalpindi, Lahore, Islamabad, Multan and others are facing power cuts, the report said.

Islamabad Deputy Commissioner Hamza Shafqaat tweeted that the line of the National Transmission Delivery Company had tripped, causing a blackout. “It will take some time before everything returns to normal,” he added. Electricity Minister Omar Ayub Khan said the frequency in the electricity distribution system suddenly dropped from 50 to zero, causing a power cut. “We’re trying to determine what caused the drop in frequency,” said Ayub.

Initial reports indicated there was a fault at the Guddu power plant in Sindh province at 11:41 p.m., the Energy Ministry tweeted. The error sent transmission lines high and this resulted in the system’s frequency dropping from 50 to zero in less than a second, causing the power plant to shut down, according to the ministry.

He added that Khan is overseeing restoration work at the National Power Control Center.

The minister appealed to people to exercise restraint and said the restoration of power was being carried out carefully and the team was on the ground.

Later, Khan posted a series of tweets about restoring electricity to several networks.

Live TV

.



image source

‘Finally Imran Khan introduces night mode in Pakistani naya’: Twitterati reacts to blackout | Instant News




ANI |
Updated:
10 Jan 2021 02:49 IS

Islamabad [Pakistan], January 10 (ANI): As Pakistan Plunged into darkness due to a massive blackout, the incident caused a humorous reaction from social media users in the country. In the immediate aftermath of the breakdown, the term #blackout became a top trend on Twitter with more than 52,800 tweets as of 2:18 a.m.
“So finally Pakistan show unity in something that sounds good. The 2021 match was strong, “said one Twitter user.
Another user on Twitter commented: “Finally Imran khan introduced the Night mode at Naya Pakistan. “
“Everyone enter Pakistan on Twitter will be electrical engineers until morning, “said another Twitterati.
Another person said: “Pakistanare: Bhai Pakistan sahi nhi chal raha @ImranKhanPTI have you tried turning it off and on? “
Meanwhile, some users also expressed concern for the residents in Pakistan hit by a blackout.
Meanwhile, please pray for all those currently on a ventilator. I wish every hospital came in Pakistan had an adequate power supply all this time, “said one person on Twitter.
Earlier in a tweet, Islamabad Deputy Commissioner Hamza Shafqaat said the outage was caused by the National Transmission & Despatch Company (NTDC) system tripping.
“The NTDC system stumbled. It took a while before everything returned to normal,” he tweeted.
Meanwhile, Energy Minister Omar Ayub said on Twitter, “the frequency in the electricity distribution system suddenly drops from 50 to 0 causing a blackout”.
“We are trying to ascertain what causes the decrease in frequency,” he said while asking the nation to be patient.
“All of our teams have arrived at their respective posts. As Minister of Electricity, I myself oversees the electricity restoration work. We will keep you updated regularly on the progress of electricity recovery,” he added. (ANI)

.



image source