Tag Archives: Disease

The United Kingdom has temporarily stopped updating coronavirus deaths daily due to data problems | Instant News


PHOTO FILES: Blood samples from patients infected with coronavirus (COVID-19) prepared for analysis at the Blood Processing Laboratory at the Cambridge Institute of Immunology Therapy and Infectious Diseases, Cambridge, England May 21, 2020. Kirsty Wigglesworth / Pool through REUTERS / Photo File

LONDON (Reuters) – Britain said on Saturday that it was stopping the daily renewal of the number of victims of coronavirus after the government ordered a review into the calculation of data related to concerns the number of victims might have been exaggerated.

Academics have said the way Public Health England (PHE), the government agency responsible for managing infectious diseases, calculating numbers in the UK means they can be distorted compared to other parts of the UK.

“Currently the daily mortality measure counts all people who have tested positive for corona virus and since death, indefinitely between testing and date of death,” a message on the government website said.

“There are claims that the lack of cut-off can change the current daily mortality rate. Therefore we stop publishing daily figures while this is resolved. ”

The UK has become the hardest hit European country, with an official death toll of more than 45,000. But the government says international comparisons are misleading because countries record deaths from the corona virus differently.

Health Minister Matt Hancock on Friday ordered a review into PHE reporting after academics said patients who tested positive for the coronavirus, but were successfully treated, would still be counted dead from the virus “even if they had a heart attack or were hit by a bus three months later” .

Reporting by Michael Holden; Editing by Ros Russell

.



image source

The COVID-19 antibody test passed the first major experiment in the UK with an accuracy of 98.6% – Telegraph | Instant News


(Reuters) – British ministers made plans to distribute millions of free coronavirus antibody tests after a version supported by the British government passed its first major trial, the Daily Telegraph newspaper reported on Friday.

The fingerprint test, which can find out within 20 minutes whether a person has been exposed to the corona virus, was found to be 98.6% accurate in a secret human trial held in June, the newspaper reported.

He added that the test was developed by the UK Rapid Test Consortium (UK-RTC), a partnership between Oxford University and leading diagnostic companies in the UK.

The only UK antibody test approved so far involves blood samples sent to a laboratory for analysis, which can take days, The Telegraph said.

Anticipating regulatory approval in the coming weeks, tens of thousands of prototypes have been produced at factories throughout the UK, the report added.

The ministers hope that the AbC-19 lateral flow test will be available for use in a mass screening program before the end of the year, the newspaper reported.

“It was found to be 98.6 percent accurate, and that is very good news,” said Chris Hand, leader of the UK-RTC, as quoted by The Telegraph.

“We are now improving with our partners to produce hundreds of thousands of doses every month,” Hand said, adding the government health department was in talks with the UK-RTC about buying millions of tests before the year ends.

The test will likely be free and will be ordered online instead of being sold in supermarkets, according to a plan quoted by the newspaper.

“While this test will help us better understand how coronaviruses spread throughout the country, we do not yet know whether antibodies show immunity from re-infection or transmission,” a spokesman for the Department of Health and Social Care was quoted as saying by the newspaper.

Reporting by Kanishka Singh in Bengaluru; Editing by Sandra Maler

.



image source

The UK will review potentially damaged British COVID-19 data | Instant News


PHOTO FILE – British Health Secretary Matt Hancock on Downing Street, after an outbreak of coronavirus (COVID-19), London, England, 10 June 2020. REUTERS / Toby Melville

LONDON (Reuters) – Health Minister Matt Hancock ordered a review of how Britain reported deaths from the corona virus, after academics said the daily figures might include people who had died of other causes. The British Public Health Way, a government body responsible for managing infectious diseases, calculating these numbers means they might look worse there than in other parts of the UK, according to two academics.

The UK has become the hardest hit European country, with an official death toll of more than 45,000. But the government says international comparisons are misleading because countries record deaths from the corona virus differently.

Yoon Loke, from the University of East Anglia, and Carl Heneghan, from the University of Oxford, said Public Health England was re-examining the latest death notifications against the database of positive test results – so anyone who tested positive could be recorded as dying of a virus.

“Matt Hancock will conduct a review of these statistics with Public Health England,” Prime Minister Boris Johnson told a media conference on Friday.

In a blog called “Why can no one recover from COVID-19 in the UK”, academics say that patients who test positive for corona virus, but are successfully treated, will still be counted as dead of the virus “even if they have a heart attack or was hit by a bus three months later “.

Academics say this is the reason why UK mortality rates vary greatly from day to day.

The same approach is not used in other parts of the UK. In Scotland, there was a 28-day cut-off, after which a patient who tested positive was not automatically considered dead of the virus.

Data from the National Statistics Office on excess deaths in the UK show that more than 64,000 people died than usual during the coronavirus pandemic. Many health experts focus on that rather than the official number of COVID-19.

Reporting by Andrew MacAskill; edited by Michael Holden and John Stonestreet

.



image source

Canada to spend $ 19 billion on the safe is restarted after blocking, says Trudeau | Instant News


File photo: Prime Minister of Canada Justin Trudeau leaves a press conference at the cottage, Rideau, and continue to help slow the spread of the disease syndrome (COVID-19), in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada July 13, 2020. Reuters/Blair Gable

Ottawa (Reuters) – Canada’s Federal government will give the 13 provinces and territories more than c$19 billion ($14 billion) to help pay for the cost of restarting the economy after months COVID-19 pandemic of lock, the Prime Minister said on Thursday.

The Federal government first announced that it wanted to achieve in the past month, “safe restart of the agreement” with the provinces and territories when promised 14 billion dollars, and negotiations are still going on.

The funds are intended to cover extraordinary expenses in the next six to eight months, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said at a press conference, and will take care of “those things that are really important to Canadians,” including preparing for a possible “second wave” of the crisis.

These things include contact tracing, providing protection for workers helping fight the city authorities pay operating expenses, helping local transit operators, “safe space” in the kindergarten and improvement of long-term care for the elderly.

The money will also allow the government to provide up to 10 days sick leave, for those who didn’t have it, Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland said at the same press conference.

“COVID-19 is not just a health crisis, an economic crisis, too,” said Trudeau. “Because until we find a vaccine, a daily threat COVID-19 is not going anywhere.”

In the canadian provinces and territories have gradually come off. On Wednesday, Canada reported 343 new cases a day earlier and more than 12 deaths.

But there is growing concern about the spread of the virus from the United States, where the rates are rising in several States.

Canada and the United States on Thursday confirmed a Reuters report from earlier this week which said that the border will remain closed to unnecessary travel until Aug. 21. It is open from mid-March.

Reporting Steve Scherer and Kelsey Johnson in Ottawa; editing by Jonathan Otis and Matthew Lewis

.



image source

The Italian Football Sports Minister hopes fans can return to the stadium in September | Instant News


ROME, July 16 (Reuters) – Italian Sports Minister Vincenzo Spadafora hopes that some fans can be allowed to return to the country’s soccer stadium in September, but not before, he said on Thursday.

Spadafora told the Senate that the authorities still had to work out how to manage stadium inflows and exits while respecting social distance.

The top two divisions of the Italian league, Serie A and B, restarted in June and all matches were played without spectators due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

The season will finish in early August and there is some hope that fans will be allowed to return before that.

“For the reopening of the stadium, we believe we must continue to follow the cautious line that has been followed so far,” Spadafora said.

“We are working hard with the federation and league so that in September, at the start of the new season, there is a way to reopen the stadium to the public.”

Spadafora said that while the stadium can comfortably accommodate several thousand fans, there are still risks associated with managing the flow.

“The danger is letting 10,000 or 12,000 spectators enter the same place,” he said. “It will need to understand how to manage this flow.” (Writing by Brian Homewood; Editing by Ken Ferris)

.



image source

New Zealand must prepare for a new coronavirus outbreak, PM said | Instant News


FILE PHOTOS: New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern visits Admiralty House in Sydney, Australia, February 28, 2020. REUTERS / Loren Elliott / POOL / Photo File

SYDNEY (Reuters) – New Zealand must prepare for a new coronavirus outbreak because the pandemic is spreading globally but will not stop the elimination strategy if community transmission is found, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said on Wednesday.

Ardern said the epidemic is now “exploding” outside New Zealand and countries that have become models in the war against COVID-19 have now experienced further community outbreaks.

The government released a new framework on how the virus was intended to fight the virus in the event of a new case, with elimination still the main strategy.

“There is no system that is 100% fool proof and throughout the world we see even the harshest measures being tested by viruses,” he told reporters in Wellington.

The last South Pacific nation reported a case of community transmission two and a half months ago. It has recorded 22 deaths from nearly 1,200 confirmed cases on Wednesday.

New Zealand has vowed to eliminate, not just contain, the virus, which means stopping transmission for two weeks after the last known case has been resolved.

Officials in Australia’s most populous state of New South Wales said elimination was no longer possible because of a new outbreak after easing lockdown restrictions.

Reporting by Renju Jose; Editing by Stephen Coates

.



image source

UK COVID-19 fatalities approaching 56,000 including suspected cases: Reuters count | Instant News


PHOTO FILE: Entrance of the COVID-19 ambulance at Frimley Park Hospital in Surrey, England, May 22, 2020. Photo taken May 22, 2020. Steve Parsons / Pool via REUTERS / File Photo

LONDON (Reuters) – Britain’s COVID-19 mortality rate has reached 55,873, including suspected cases, according to Reuters calculations from official data sources that underline the country’s status as one of the most severe in the world.

The Reuters count consists of deaths in which COVID-19 was mentioned on death certificates in England, Wales and Northern Ireland until July 3, and until July 5. This also includes the death of newer hospitals.

The government daily number, which only records deaths after a positive corona virus test, reaches 44,830.

Reporting by Andy Bruce and Costas Pitas; editing by Guy Faulconbridge

.



image source

Goodbye in England ‘superlatives’, said PM Johnson | Instant News


British Prime Minister Boris Johnson spoke with a paramedic when he visited the headquarters of the London Ambulance Service NHS Trust, in the midst of the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19), in London, England July 13, 2020. Ben Stansall / Pool via REUTERS

LONDON (Reuters) – Prime Minister Boris Johnson advises people to stay at home this summer to live in Britain “superlatively” rather than traveling abroad to a foreign beach.

“I think this is a great year for people to have a stay – this country is uniquely blessed with fantastic places to vacation,” Johnson told reporters. “I will definitely do that.”

“Obviously if people feel the need for foreign holidays then that is entirely a problem for them and I really understand it, but there are fantastic and fantastic places – unmatched, beautiful, superlative places in the UK to go on holiday. That’s certainly what I will do. ”

Reporting by Guy Faulconbridge; edits by William James

.



image source

The state of Victoria in Australia marks the week for three-digit coronavirus cases | Instant News


A worker wearing personal protective equipment disposes trash outside the public housing tower, reopened the night before after being locked in response to a coronavirus outbreak (COVID-19), in Melbourne, Australia, July 10, 2020. REUTERS / Sandra Sanders

MELBOURNE (Reuters) – The state of Victoria in Australia marks a week of a three-digit increase in new corona virus infections on Sunday, while a community outbreak in neighboring New South Wales (NSW) has put the country on high alert.

Victoria reported 273 new cases of coronavirus and other COVID-19 deaths on Sunday, while NSW had nine cases related to an outbreak in a Sydney pub. The two states have more than half of Australia’s population of 25 million.

Australia has avoided high COVID-19 casualties from other countries with fast and strict action, noting that so far only under 10,000 cases of coronavirus, or about one-sixth of daily cases seen in the United States in recent days.

But as the country gradually eased social restrictions, a surge in cases transmitted by the community caused Melbourne, Victoria’s capital, to be placed under locking for a new six weeks on Thursday.

“I know we ask a lot of Victorian people, but we have no choice but to acknowledge the reality we face and do what must be done, and that is to follow those rules, only go out when you need to,” Victoria’s Prime Minister Daniel Andrews said at the press conference.

The increase on Sunday partly reflects the increase in testing, with Victoria conducting more than 30,000 tests every day. A man in his 70s died over the COVID-19 weekend, Andrews said, bringing the national figure to 108.

NSW, which significantly reduced social distance rules in July after a new case dropped to single digits, has asked more than 1,000 people who recently visited a pub in southwest Sydney to conduct their own isolation and be tested for COVID-19 after the cluster which has been associated with developing pubs.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison attended a rugby match on Saturday in Sydney, raising some concern. Asked if it was a wise decision, Deputy Chief Medical Officer Australia Nick Coatsworth said Morrison attended the match in a safe manner.

Reporting by Lidia Kelly; Editing by William Mallard and Raju Gopalakrishnan

.



image source

NHL players agree to resume the virus-hit of the season Aug. 1 in Canada | Instant News


July 10 (Reuters) – the NHL will resume next month its virus-interrupted season with the Stanley Cup in Canada after the players ratified the return-to-play plan and amendments to the labor deal, both sides said on Friday.

Now this expanded 24-team Stanley Cup playoffs begin in August. 1 in Edmonton and Toronto without the fans nearly five months after the national Hockey League ended the season because COVID-19. (Reporting by Rory Carroll; editing by Sandra Maler)

.



image source