The police spent the night inspecting the scene and the roads didn’t reopen until after 7 this morning.
A police spokesman said it was a “significant” accident site in terms of area size and took time to process.
A spokesman for the Greater Wellington Regional Council confirmed the vehicle involved was a Metlink bus, but said they could not provide further details as the problem was with the police.
Earlier on Saturday, a motorcycle and car collided in Waimangu, south of Rotorua.
One person was killed and another injured in the collision on SH38 at the Okaro Rd intersection at around 11.00.
On Good Friday, Kellie Jane Greer, 49, a local resident of Tauranga, died in a two-car accident at the intersection of State Highway 30 and 32 near Whakamaru. Greer is the driver of one of the vehicles.
One of the vehicles caught fire after an accident at an intersection at midday.
On Thursday night, a man was killed on SH2 in Mangatawhiri, 60 km south of Auckland.
The victim was Kalam Safari Watkin-Mamode, 22, who lived in Mangatawhiri.
About 90 minutes earlier on Thursday, at 8 p.m., someone died in an accident involving trucks and cars on SH27 in the Waikato settlement of Kaihere.
Three other people were lightly injured in the accident.
In South Auckland this afternoon a person has been taken to Middlemore Hospital in critical condition following a car crash in Papakura.
Emergency services responded to the accident at the intersection of Liverpool St and Settlement Rd at around 14.30.
Motorists have been told to avoid the area.
The seven deaths marked the rise of the Easter road toll last year when no fatalities were recorded while the country was on a level-4 lockdown to stop the spread of Covid-19.
In 2019, New Zealand’s Easter highway tolls totaled four.
Second seeds Sriram Balaji and Luca Margaroli of Switzerland were beaten 6-3 7-6 (6) by German Dustin Brown and Swiss Marc-Andrea Huesler in the quarter-final doubles of the € 44,820 Challenger tennis tournament here.
Other Results: $ 15,000 Men’s ITF, Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt: Quarter-finals: Petros Chrysochos (Cyp) bt Sasikumar Mukund 6-3, 6-1.
You have reached your limit for free articles this month.
Subscription Benefits Included
Papers of the Day
Find the mobile-friendly version of the day’s newspaper in one easy-to-read list.
Enjoy reading as many articles as you want without any restrictions.
List of selected articles according to your interests and tastes.
Move smoothly between articles as our pages load instantly.
The one-stop shop to see the latest updates, and manage your preferences.
We keep you posted on the latest and most important developments, three times a day.
Supporting the Quality of Journalism.
* Our Digital Subscription Plans do not currently include e-paper, crossword puzzles and printouts.
Letter from the Editor
We keep you updated on developments in India and the world that are affecting our health and well-being, our lives and livelihoods, during these difficult times. In order to enable the wide distribution of news of interest to the public, we have increased the number of articles that can be read free of charge, and extended the free trial period. However, we have a request for those who can afford to subscribe: please. As we fight disinformation and misinformation, and stay abreast of what’s going on, we need to devote greater resources to news gathering operations. We promise to deliver quality journalism that eschews self-interest and political propaganda.
Your support for our journalism is very valuable. This is support for truth and justice in journalism. This has helped us keep pace with events and happenings.
Hinduism has always defended journalism which is in the public interest. In these difficult times, it becomes increasingly important for us to have access to information relating to our health and well-being, our lives, and our livelihoods. As a customer, you are not only the beneficiary of our work, but also the supporters.
Here we also reaffirm the promise that our team of reporters, copy editors, fact-checkers, designers and photographers will deliver quality journalism that shuns self-interest and political propaganda.
In 1938 when Adolf Hitler and German troops invaded Austria and annexed the country it became Nazi Germany.
The move prompted the mass exodus of thousands of Jews, who are now fearing for their lives.
Among those who fled were Ian Ernst’s parents, Liselotte and Hermann.
“They are Jewish by Hitler’s definition,” said Ernst, who now lives in Sydney.
“If you had a great grandfather or grandmother who was Jewish, you were considered a Jew by Hitler’s decision.”
Ernst, now 82 years old, was born shortly after his parents fled Austria in November 1938.
Now, decades later, his family has been offered the opportunity to reconnect to the country they once left behind.
‘Australia wins the lottery’
“I was born in Zagreb in Croatia, where my parents fled from Austria,” said Ernst.
“Then they made it to England, where they could flip a coin, choosing between Australia and South America as a place where they thought they could live in peace and be able to work and earn a living.
“Fortunately for me, Australia won the lottery.”
Mr Ernst was only 10 months old when the young family of three finally arrived in Sydney by boat the following year.
“I understand my mom dumped most of her soiled diapers overboard because she didn’t know about washing diapers at that stage in her life.”
Ernst said his mother and father did not think about the past, preferring to focus on their future and their new life in Australia.
But Ernst has always had an interest in his Austrian heritage and a desire to light the same fire in his children and grandchildren.
That’s why, when he learned that the Austrian Government was offering dual citizenship to anyone fleeing for fear of Nazi persecution, as well as their descendants, he wanted the younger generation in his family to do so.
“I think it’s a very good thing they are doing now, to allow the children and grandchildren of the ancestors to have dual citizenship,” he said.
Find homes that don’t exist
Ernst said he was sure his parents would share their views on the Austrian government’s offer.
“First of all, they will be happy the offer allows dual nationality because I believe they don’t want any of us to give up our Australian citizenship,” he said.
“Second, I think they will be happy that my family can experience Austrian culture, participate in Austrian education and work.”
As for Ernst’s grandson, who lives in Canberra, they said they were very happy with the door to dual Australian-Austrian citizenship that was about to open.
“I feel good because it means we can go and have job opportunities when we are older,” said Callum, nine.
“And I want to see the house where my grandparents used to live and the factory they used to own.”
Callum’s older brother, 11-year-old Ethan, said he couldn’t wait to see the parts of Austria his grandfather used to tell him about.
“I have learned a lot about our family history from him,” said Ethan.
“He shares a lot of old photos and it would be great to see them in real life.
“And maybe, if I had children of my own, I would be able to share that legacy with them.”
‘I swear I’ll never come back’
Unlike Ernst, international lawyer Michael Pryles said he couldn’t imagine his late mother wanting to accept an invitation to reclaim her Austrian heritage.
“I asked him a few years before his death to come to Europe and show him where he lived in Vienna,” said Pryles, who lives in Melbourne.
Mr Pryles’ grandfather, Dr Siegmund Defris, enjoyed a very successful career in Austria in the early 1900s, running a company that installed electricity in large buildings and then provided electricity to Austrian soldiers during World War I.
He also served in the Austrian army during the war and for his contribution, he was awarded the Knight’s Cross of the Order of Franz Joseph, “effectively the title of knighthood”, said Pryles.
Then Hitler came to power and everything changed.
Almost overnight, Dr Defris’s Jewish belief meant he was stripped of all the respect and responsibility he had earned.
“Then the night of Kristallnacht – or broken glass – happened, when all the Jewish synagogues were burned, including the synagogue that was the president of my grandfather in Vienna,” said Pryles.
“Suddenly, he realized not only did he have no future in Austria, but also his wife and children, and their lives were in danger.
The family sold everything they owned and left Austria in October 1938.
They arrived in Melbourne early the following year.
Mr Pryles’ grandfather opened a small factory in downtown Melbourne which paid the bills, while his mother married an electrical engineer from Germany.
The couple has two sons, Michael and a brother.
“My mother used to talk about Austria but only in the good days before Hitler,” said Pryles.
“He never talked about the nine months they lived in Vienna when Hitler came to power there, and he would never talk about it, other than to say it was terrible.
“That’s why I can’t say my mother will accept Austrian citizenship, and I certainly can’t represent my grandfather, who died a year after I was born.”
Citizenship offers ‘acknowledgment of past mistakes’
Mr Pryles said the decision to become a dual citizen was a difficult decision to make but ultimately, he decided it was the right thing to do.
“The granting of citizenship is really an acknowledgment of past mistakes and so I feel like I shouldn’t say no,” he said.
“I am 100 percent Australian and I always will be, but I took Austrian citizenship in recognition of my family history and in recognition of what they did in Austria.
Austrian Ambassador to Australia Wolfgang Strohmayer acknowledged that the citizenship offer was only a small step in the reconciliation process, but he is proud to be able to help the family regain their ties to Austria.
“Offering dual citizenship to former victims of the Nazi regime is clearly, for very historic reasons, very important to us,” said Strohmayer.
“It is also a reminder to each of us and each of us of our individual responsibility to fight and speak out against all forms of intolerance, racism and anti-Semitism.”
The nomination paper for the senate elections Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf leader and Federal Minister of Water Resources Faisal Vawda received by Election Commission of Pakistanofficers who returned to enter Karachi on Thursday afternoon. However, a tense situation existed for a while around the ECP office when Vawda arrived at the office to check his documents.
Pakistan Muslim League leaders-Nawaz Nehal Hashmi, Qadir Khan Mandokhel, Noor Hayat and party supporters present at ECP Karachi’s office chanted slogans as they were refused entry when Vawda arrived with his supporters to appear before the oversight body.
The ECP office gates were closed and additional police were called in to maintain order. The police stopped PML-N supporters from entering the office. After that, they became angry and demanded that they be allowed to submit their objections to the returning officers.
Petitioners and his lawyers say they object to Vawda’s papers claiming he still had dual citizenship at the time he said he had revoked it. They said they would approach the Sindh High Court with the approval of Vawda’s papers.
Speaking to the media outside ECP’s office Nehal Hashmi, Qadir Khan Mandokhel and Noor Hayat accused ECP officials of taking a dictatorial stance by not listening to their objections.
Hashmi said Vawda had stated in his nomination documents that he had revoked US citizenship in 2018 but he did not disclose the date. He said different standards apply in the country for supporters of the government and those who oppose it.
Published in The Express Tribune, February 19th, 2021.
ISLAMABAD: The charge of submitting false written statements about alleged dual citizenship at the time of submitting his candidacy for the National Assembly seat in Karachi will continue to haunt federal minister Faisal Vawda even after being elected senator.
Vawda is simultaneously facing disqualification proceedings at the Islamabad High Court (IHC) and the Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP) for not revoking dual citizenship before submitting his candidacy documents for the 2018 general elections.
“There are two possibilities as to what the IHC could do in dealing with the petition awaiting Vawda’s decision not to qualify,” constitution expert and former Senate chairman Wasim Sajjad told The News. One option before the IHC, he said, would be to argue, following the minister’s resignation as MNA after he was elected senator, that because Vawda is no longer the MNA, the problem of his deceptive written statement regarding dual nationality did not exist and petitions against him now cannot be heard.
The second possibility, according to Wasim Sajjad, is that IHC will decide that the matter is still alive and must be decided because the truth of the written statement has not been resolved due to his resignation as an MNA.
However, Sajjad gave an example, although IHC canceled the petition on the grounds that it did not need to be continued because Vawda was no longer the MNA, the matter could be brought up against him again on the premise that he was not ‘Sadiq. ‘and’ Ameen ‘because he once submitted a false affidavit.
Another prominent constitutional lawyer, Kamran Murtaza, argued that the trial at IHC and ECP would be a violation after Vawda told them he had stepped down as MNA. “Two constitutional forums might say that the matter is no longer fun after Vawda quit as MNA,” he said, adding that it was an open secret that ministers were competing in Senate elections to thwart the disqualification process at IHC and ECP.
Kamran Murtaza said the issue of concealing dual citizenship when submitting his nomination letter for the National Assembly seat would continue to haunt Vawda even after being elected senator.
He stated that the case that Vawda allegedly vowed would not subside even if the IHC declared the petition baseless. “Vawda will continue to be faced with the risk of disqualification under the Constitution for not sadiq and amen because of allegedly dubious oath statements.”
Regarding fake statement letters, he said, could be brought to court against Vawda through a new petition. However, he pointed out that the process would be very protracted.
Yet another well-known lawyer, Kashif Malik, told The News that the problem of the 2018 written statement would not go away and Vawda’s opponents could file it in court even after being elected senator.
He said the ongoing processes at the IHC and the ECP may be rendered unnecessary once Vawda is elected senator. If his election to the upper house is challenged on the basis of his written statement, Vawda could argue that there is no court declaration against him in this regard when he has submitted his candidacy documents for Senate elections, that he has met all. qualifications that are constitutionally mandated and it has not been established that he is lying in his written statement.
About the plaintiff’s actions designed to thwart the judicial process, Kashif Malik said it was between the court and the party. [Vawda] to see whether the defendant’s attempt was intended to thwart the judicial process.