PML-N’s Secretary General ‘Ahsan Iqbal on Sunday said the PTI government’s idea of introducing electronic voting was “another drama to rig the elections.”
Speaking to media people in Narowal, Iqbal said that the PTI government had not thought about undertaking electoral reforms for the past three years, but suddenly came up with the idea after having repeatedly suffered defeat in opinion polls.
“If the PTI government is serious about electoral reform, it should send suggestions related to reform to the chairman of the election commissioner,” said Iqbal.
“The Karachi by-election proves that PML-N is the only successful party in Sindh. The people of Karachi are with PML-N,” said Iqbal.
‘Imran Khan enjoying picnics instead of running the government’
The PML-N leader went on to say that Prime Minister Imran Khan “did not dare to dissolve the assembly,” adding that if the prime minister left the government, he would be accountable to the people.
“It looks like Imran Khan is enjoying a picnic rather than running the government,” said Iqbal.
Iqbal’s comments came after PM Imran Khan made a bid for the Opposition to sit with the government and undertake electoral reforms, stressing that technology is the only solution to a decades-old problem in which every party cries and accuses the winner of rigging elections. .
The prime minister even went so far as to offer the Opposition to choose an available Electronic Voting Machine (EVM) model.
Angelique Kerber struggled to find any rhythm in her opening meeting at the Australian Open. Photo / AP
Welcome to the first day of the 2021 Australian Open. On the day of the blockbuster first-round match, a very different Open kicked off in drama with another hotel quarantine frenzy.
The action in court promised to be just as dramatic when it started from 1pm (NZ time). You can check out the latest updates below and watch the action live on Sky Sport, or stream via Sky Sport Now.
19.30: Big chaos in Melbourne
Former world number 1 and three-time grand slam champion Angelique Kerber was eliminated from the Open in the first round due to a crushing defeat.
Unseeded Bernarda Pera, ranked 149th in the world, beat 23rd seed Germany 6-0 6-4 to advance to the second round.
Kerber won the Australian Open in 2016, but was in dire straits as a two-week quarantine took its toll.
“You feel it, especially if you play a real game where it is important and you play the first game in a grand slam, also against an opponent who doesn’t survive the hard locks,” he said.
“Of course, you feel it if you don’t hit the ball for two weeks and you’re out of rhythm.”
Kerber admitted he was unprepared for two weeks in quarantine and said if he had known that was necessary he would think twice about coming to Australia at all.
This is the first time Kerber has been eliminated before the fourth round at Melbourne Park since 2015.
18.00: Monfils breaks down in a press conference
French star Gael Monfils was the highest victim on Day 1 of the Aussie Open, surprised by Emil Ruusuvouri.
The world number 10 fell in five grueling sets from his Finnish rivals 3-6 6-4 7-5 3-6 6-3 to a new record low which was devastating due to a worrisome slump in form.
Monfils has not won a match since tennis returned from a suspension imposed by the pandemic.
Emotional Monfils broke down in tears during his post-match press conference as he tried to explain his struggle to regain his best form.
“I want to get out of this nightmare, but I can’t,” he said.
“I was not feeling well.”
17:10: Controversy when wild humans come back from the dead
Aussie John Millman crashed out in a five-set rollercoaster marathon with French racer Corentin Moutet exploding with drama.
Moutet grumbled while grumbling at the end of the second set and smashed his racket after a fierce battle with the chair referee.
When a controversial net call didn’t work out and he conceded in the third set, Moutet looked dead in the water.
With Millman leading the two sets to one, Moutet slumped on the sidelines and appeared to take a nap before the fourth.
Despite self-destructing during his ongoing dispute with the chair referee, the 21-year-old pulled himself together in the fourth set to send the match into the decisive fifth.
Moutet had an argument with the chair and was at one point heard asking if the referee was “proud” of hitting him with an unsportsmanlike code violation.
The play shot up again in the third set, won by Millman, when the Australian fiddled with the net wire as he won a vital point.
Millman rushed to greet the ball that fell off the side of the net and a desperate lunge finally bobbled over the net for a clear winner.
However, Millman had to try and slam the break before breaking into the net while the ball was still alive.
Millman shows outstanding athleticism and balance to the edges of the net while his body weight and body lean against his opponent’s side.
Despite Moutet’s complaining, Millman won the points and took the third set just minutes later.
However, Moutet put in a great struggle to secure a vital break in the fifth set and left with a grueling 6-4 6-7 3-6 6-2 6-3 win after nearly four hours on the pitch.
2pm: Crowd goes cold at the Open
The bizarre photos from the audience at Melbourne Park show a very different Australian Open.
With crowds of up to 30,000 and masked spectators forced to secede in remote areas of the Rod Laver Arena, Margaret Court Arena and John Caine Arena, the usually bustling festival atmosphere off the grounds has been replaced by a serene and eerie atmosphere.
The Victorian government confirmed last week that masks would become mandatory at venues deemed classified as indoor stadiums, meaning fans must wear masks while moving around the Rod Laver Arena when the roof is closed. They do not need to wear a mask when sitting in the designated chair.
Despite the excitement about this year’s first grand slam taking place against the overwhelming challenge of creating a major event safe from Covid-19, there is reportedly a cold response from Melbourne residents.
Channel 7 reporter Nick McCullum posted on Twitter Monday that ticket sales were “slow for the first day”.
13.00: Unlock angry star friction
Australian Open star Paula Badosa has taken a new step in a hotel quarantine program after testing positive for Covid-19 in forced lockdown.
The Spanish star claimed he was being treated like a “criminal” by Australian authorities and described the experience as “nightmare” and gruesome.
The extraordinary claim comes just days after Badosa apologized for his earlier complaints about the conditions he experienced while locked up in Melbourne.
She became the first woman on the tournament list to have a confirmed positive test and did not emerge from isolation until Thursday, just four days before the start of the Open.
She now flips again, complaining about how she was treated after testing positive.
‘It was a nightmare. They treated me as if I were a criminal, they transferred me from one hotel to another with police officers escorting me, “he told Spanish publications. Country.
He said officials should have a better backup plan for players and officials who have tested positive in the lockdown.
“They should raise better conditions for handling cases knowing that some players and support staff will test positive,” he said.
Badosa has previously claimed that tournament officials changed player rules after they arrived in Australia, after he was on one of the flights that included one passenger who tested positive on landing in Australia.
“Initially the rule was that the positive parts of the plane with that person were to be quarantined. Not the entire plane,” he wrote in a tweet which was later deleted. “It’s not fair to change the rules at the last minute. And have to live in a room without windows and without air.”
10.30: Djokovic ‘disrespects Kyrgios
World number 1 Novak Djokovic said on Sunday he lacked respect for Nick Kyrgios’ antics off the pitch after the polarized Australian recently called him a “tool”.
Kyrgios has had a fierce battle with the Serb in recent times, sparked by last year’s Adria Tour Djokovic exhibition series when the coronavirus pandemic raged.
After denouncing his “stupidity” when some of the players co-infected with Covid-19, Kyrgios also quickly weighed in when Djokovic was sensationally disqualified from the US Open for hitting a woman line judge with a ball.
Djokovic said he had mixed views on the flammable Kyrgios.
“Off the pitch, I don’t really respect him, to be honest,” he told reporters before starting his campaign in Melbourne Park on Monday.
“That’s where I’ll close it. I really don’t have any further comments for him, his own comments for me or anything else he’s trying to do.”
10am: Andy Murray ‘p ***** off’ at the officials
Andy Murray claims he and his family caught the coronavirus because of the lax Covid-19 protocol – ruining the Australian Open before he could even travel to Australia.
In a catastrophic explosion against tennis officials in Britain, the “knocked out” doubles Wimbledon champion accused the Wimbledon Tennis Association of “putting people in serious danger” with lax Covid-19 biosafety measures.
Sun Murray reports furiously after at least one member of his family also tested positive for the virus.
“I can’t pick it up anywhere else. I didn’t leave my house or the NTC for ten weeks. And obviously there have been some positive cases there,” he said.
“I stick to all protocols. I’m very careful because it’s not just tennis reasons. None of my team got it.
“I was the only one who took it and none of my family had it before me. “So how we behaved there shows we didn’t behave badly, otherwise I imagine one of them will catch it from me. I am very comfortable with the way I behave.”
LAHORE: Chief Minister Sardar Usman Buzdar said the resignation drama has failed badly and welfare politics will prevail. Any conspiracy against the PTI mandate has been thwarted.
Members of parliament, including Federal Minister Sahibzada Mehboob Sultan, Sahibzada Amir Sultan MNA and MPA Rana Shahbaz Ahmed, Mian Muhammad Asif, Raja Yawar Kamal Khan, Nazir Ahmed Chohan, Muhammad Ameen Zulqarnain, Muhammad Raza Hussain Bukhari and Saeed Ahmed held a meeting with Chief Minister Sardar Usman Buzdar and told him about their constituency problems.
The chief minister issued instructions and expanded proposals to solve problems early. On the occasion, CM said that a comprehensive strategy had been designed to solve constituency problems and added that the development scheme would be implemented in consultation. The doors of the CM Office used to remain closed to assemblymen in the past, but Pakistan has changed and MPs will be given the status they deserve, he announced, adding that lawmakers could meet him as they wished.
The new Pakistan is moving forward under the transparent leadership of PM Imran Khan and its corruptors are nothing in the face of an honest PM, he added. The people have full confidence in the PM’s leadership, he continued.
When discussing the government’s development vision, he emphasized that the development of disadvantaged areas has received full attention. Resources were used in selected areas in the past and remote hinterlands were neglected but the government has diverted resources for the welfare of abandoned areas, he added. Punjab province will lead the development journey and the government will take every step to solve the problem. The CM insists that the resignation drama has failed badly and declares welfare politics will prevail. Any conspiracy against the PTI mandate has been thwarted and the opposition’s negative tactics for obstructing the journey of people’s welfare will not be tolerated, he said and advised the opposition to rest until 2023 as it is fully exposed.
View of the Waikeria Prison where the inmates are on the roof mattress that had been burning since last night. Photo / Provided
Emergency services remain at the Waikeria Prison this morning after arriving yesterday to negotiate with inmates out of control on the burning mattress on the roof.
The Specialist Advanced Control and Control Team, made up of staff from various prisons, has been in the prison where inmates rioted since Tuesday afternoon.
It is understood that the situation is ongoing this morning, but Correction has not provided an update. Photos emailed to NZME late at night showed huge smoke clouds visible from neighboring farmland.
Police, firefighters and St. John were at the scene yesterday as Correction officers continued to try to negotiate with the inmates and ensure the safety of everyone in the prison.
A spokesman said 19 detainees had been seen on the roof of the building. This includes those who were involved in lighting the fire on the previous page today, along with several other people who were able to get out of their cells with assistance.
“Prisoners can access some parts of the building by penetrating the roof space, but their movement inside the building is restricted by internal gates, barriers and secure doors.
“There was a large amount of smoke around the building coming from the mattresses burned by the prisoners.”
Although there is no threat to public safety, Corrections staff have transferred 49 inmates from one unit to another in the prison while the incident continues.
“There are about 230 prisoners in total in the ‘top prison’ facility and we will not hesitate to evacuate further detainees if necessary to keep them safe.”
FENZ was initially summoned to Waikeria after inmates lit several fires in the prison’s practice yard on Tuesday afternoon.
About 20 prisoners were using the courtyard at the time.
The situation was thought to be under control before the nine detainees refused to comply with the instructions, Newshub reported.
The perpetrators allegedly removed the toilet door from their hinges and used it as a weapon against staff.
Correctional Association President Alan Whitley said the union is offering support.
“We are always concerned about people when situations like this occur, but we have a special team that has special training, they are professional people and they will do a professional job to control the situation,” Whitley told RNZ.
St John’s staff treated a number of staff and inmates for smoke inhalation. Earlier in the evening, it was thought that at least one inmate was bleeding after an argument with guards.
One detained inmate said riots in the prison were imminent, with inmates protesting for human rights. They claim there are problems in the prison, including toilet paper that is taking days, Newshub reports.
Last year, two Waikeria Prison Correction officers were punched in the face within days, while clashes between prisoners have also been reported.
An inmate punched an officer in the face and another officer was also injured when he stepped in to help.
The fight occurred after an officer was threatened and punched a few days earlier.
There have also been previous reports of inmates fighting amongst themselves.
The Waikeria Prison is one of New Zealand’s largest prisons, located on a 1,200ha site south of Te Awamutu in the Waikato region.
The ‘top prison’ where convicts currently reside were built in 1911 and are the oldest part of the prison. It was replaced by a new facility under construction at the prison and which is slated to open in 2022.
According to a GeoNet geological monitoring project statement, volcanic ash deposits have been observed on webcams placed on the island, and darker than usual plumes have been reported from mainland New Zealand.
The statement said “small ash emissions” were not seen in 2020 and indicated a greater degree of unrest.
But there is no indication of any substantial change in the overall behavior of the volcano.
“Over the past week, a small series of earthquakes have occurred near the volcano and we have experienced several episodes of slightly increased volcanic shaking,” said volcanologist Yannik Behr in the statement.
He said some of the particles might have been carried away by the wind but were unlikely to reach land.
“If there is explosive activity that produces significant ash clouds, the probability of the ash affecting the land remains very low,” he said.
“Plumes of gas and vapor may appear on land as weak acid rain.”
Level two warnings are most often associated with environmental hazards such as vapor releases, volcanic gases, earthquakes and landslides but eruptions can still occur with little or no warning.
“Initial analysis of the ash particles shows that it is material escaped from around a vent or duct carried by vapor and gas emissions,” said Behr.
“The major plausible triggers for sudden eruptions with little or no warning are the fall of unstable material in the active vents and the possible ingress of underground water into shallow magma bodies.”
After last year’s eruption, several survivors made it off the island alive thanks to the efforts of nearby tourists and local pilots.