Tag Archives: Fire

SHC ordered the repair of 10 fire tenders within days | Instant News


KARACHI:

The Sindh High Court on Thursday ordered the repair of 10 campfires in the next 10 days and summoned the director general of the Sindh Building Control Authority.

A bench of two, led by Judge Muhammad Ali Mazhar, is listening to the defense of the frequent fire incidents and fire safety laws. At the trial, Karachi Metropolitan Corporation (KMC) lawyers notified the court that six of the 30 fire tenders that were damaged in Karachi had been repaired. KMC lawyers stated that of the 30 fire tenders that were damaged, 6 were repaired.

“Only after the court issued a directive on this matter did the federal government realize that they also needed to provide a fire tender [for the city], ”Added the attorney, who went on to inform the court that 50 fire-fighting tenders held by the federal government were stationed at the port. Following this briefing, the court directed the relevant authorities to ensure that the 24 fire tenders that were still damaged had to be repaired immediately.

“Of these, 10 must be repaired within the next 10 days,” said Hakim Mazhar.

When KMC lawyers told the court that more staff needed to be hired to run the new fire tenders, the court asked the local government secretary for an answer on the matter. It specifically asks for details of the actions being taken to recruit more employees.

In addition, the court requested information from the chief firefighter about a fire that broke out in a commercial entity in Karachi a few days ago.

“Do not you have enough water and vehicles [to douse the blaze promptly]? The court asked. The firefighters replied that the fire was put out within two hours and that all the workers inside the building were safely removed with the help of snorkels.

Judge Mazhar further inquired about the issuance of a no objection certificate for commercial buildings by the SBCA.

“The NOC issued by the SBCA is essential for the construction of commercial buildings,” the court observed and summoned the SBCA DG at its next hearing on January 26.

The application was dismissed

Meanwhile, a two-member bench headed by SHC Chairman Ahmed Ali Shaikh rejected former SSP Malir Rao Anwar’s plea for exemption from attending the hearing of the Naqeebullah case.

At the trial, Judge Shaikh commented, “Wouldn’t it be discrimination against other people if Rao Anwar was released from attending the trial?”

Lawyer Rao stated that according to reports received from the intelligence agency, his client faced serious security problems.

Hearing this argument, Judge Shaykh stated that in that case “we will order the court to hold hearings every day. We reject your application ”.

However, the applicant’s attorney asked the court not to reject the request, saying that he would withdraw it. Granting the request, the court rejected the request

.



image source

50 fire engines, two bows awarded to Karachi by the federal government | Instant News


KARACHI: A total of 50 state-of-the-art firefighting tenders organized by the federal government have arrived at Karachi Port to upgrade the city’s fire fighting capabilities.

Sindh governor Imran Ismail, along with Federal Planning and Development Minister Asad Umar and Federal Minister for IT and Telecommunications Aminul Haq, attended a ceremony on Sunday at the port to accept fire tenders on behalf of the Karachi Metropolitan Corporation (KMC). Reports say the two bows, having the capacity to store 18,000 liters of water, are also part of the new fleet, which is being purchased by the federal government to enhance Karachi’s fire fighting capabilities.

The new fire tenders are capable of storing up to 7,000 liters of water each and are equipped with an electric water nozzle to carry out operations in multi-storey buildings. The new fire tender will assist in reducing material and human losses in the city due to frequent fire incidents. Currently, the city fire department has only 14 fire fighting units functioning out of 44, while 11 stations out of a total of 25 are functioning to respond to any unwanted situation in the city.

Speaking on the occasion, the governor of Sindh said as many as 50 state-of-the-art fire tenders and two bows were Prime Minister Imran Khan’s New Year’s gifts for Karachi. He said the procurement had enabled the federal government to fulfill its other commitments with the people. He said the federal government had spent some Rs1.4 billion on buying tenders and arcs.

Imran Ismail said it was unprecedented that such a large number of fire tenders had been purchased in one bid. He said each of the nine industrial estate representative associations in Karachi would get these two fire tenders under a public-private partnership arrangement. Saylani and Chippa, a local NGO, will also be provided with a fire engine. He said for the first three years, the federal government would look after the maintenance of these fire tenders through suppliers. He said, after that, the receiving agency would be responsible for maintaining and providing water to run the fire tender.

The governor said the federally owned Sindh Infrastructure Development Company Ltd had played an important role in procuring the fire tender. He also clarified that the fire tender procurement initiative for Karachi, was launched during the current PTI term, while the rival political party has done nothing in this regard.

Meanwhile, Federal IT Minister Aminul Haq said Sindh Governor Imran Ismail and former Karachi mayor Waseem Akhtar had jointly made efforts to procure this fire engine for Karachi. Federal Planning and Development Minister Asad Umar said the modern mass transit system will function on the Green Line section of the Bus Rapid Transit System in Karachi in July this year. He said buses for the Green Line Corridor will arrive in June this year. He said initially the Green Line service would be launched from Surjani City to Nuamaish Intersection. Asad Umar said a new railway line would also be built from Karachi Port to Pipri for the movement of goods to solve the problem of moving heavy vehicle traffic. on city streets. He said consulting services had been hired to revive the Karachi Loop Rail (KCR) and build a freight rail corridor in the city. He said the Water and Power Development Authority had started working on behalf of the federal government to carry out further work to complete the K-IV bulk water supply system for Karachi.

.



image source

UK PM Johnson has come under fire for UK coronavirus cases reaching the top 3 million | Instant News


The crisis facing Britain this winter is familiar: The order to stay at home and the streets is empty. The hospital is overcrowded. The daily toll of hundreds of deaths from the coronavirus.

Britain is once again the epicenter of the European COVID-19 outbreak, and Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s Conservative government faces questions, and outrage, as people demand to know how the country ended up here – again.

Many countries are experiencing a new wave of the virus, but Britain is among the worst, and it is after a horrendous 2020. More than 3 million people in the UK have tested positive for the coronavirus and 81,000 have died – 30,000 in just the last 30 days.

The economy has shrunk by 8%, more than 800,000 jobs have been lost and hundreds of thousands more workers are on leave in uncertainty. Even with the new lockdown, London Mayor Sadiq Khan said Friday that the situation in the capital is “critical,” with one in every 30 people infected.

“The real reality is that we will run out of beds for patients in the next few weeks unless the spread of the virus slows down drastically,” he said.

The medical staff is also at a breaking point. “Whereas before, everyone went into the fashion of, ‘We just need to go through this,’ (now) everyone was like, ‘Here it is again – can I get through this?'” Said Lindsey Izard, senior intensive care nurse at St Hospital. George in London. “It was very, very difficult for our staff.”

Much of the blame for England’s poor performance has been put at the door of Johnson, who caught the virus in the spring and ended up in intensive care. Critics say his government’s slow response when a new respiratory virus emerges from China is the first in a series of deadly mistakes.

Anthony Costello, professor of global health at University College London, said it was “wasting time” in March on whether shutting down Britain took thousands of lives. Britain was locked up on March 23, and Costello said if that decision came a week or two early, “we would be backing off at 30,000-40,000 deaths … More like Germany.”

Most countries have struggled during the pandemic, but Britain has had some weaknesses from the start. Its public health system has been damaged after years of spending cuts by the strict-minded Conservative government. It only has a small capacity for testing new viruses. And while the authorities had planned a hypothetical pandemic, they assumed it would be a less lethal and less contagious flu-like disease.

The government seeks advice from scientists, but critics say its advisory pool is too narrow. And their recommendations were not always heeded by a prime minister whose laissez-faire instincts made him reluctant to suppress the economy and everyday life. Johnson maintains his record, saying it’s easy to spot mistakes when looking back.

“The retro-spectroscope is a wonderful instrument,” Johnson said in an interview with the BBC last week. “Scientific advisors have said all kinds of different things at different times,” he added. “They totally disagree.”

Future public investigations are likely to investigate failures in Britain’s coronavirus response, but investigations have already begun.

The Parliamentary Science and Technology Committee said in a report published Friday that the government was not transparent enough about the scientific advice it received, failed to learn from other countries and responded too slowly when “the pandemic demands that policies be developed and adapted on a faster time scale.”

The government correctly demonstrated that great progress had been made since last spring. The initial problem of obtaining protective equipment for medical workers has been largely resolved. The UK now conducts nearly half a million coronavirus tests a day.

A national test-and-trace system has been put in place to find and isolate infected people, although the system struggles to cope with demand and cannot enforce self-isolation requests.

Treatments including the steroid dexamethasone, whose effectiveness was discovered during trials in the UK, have improved survival rates among those who are most seriously ill. And now there are vaccines, three of which have been approved for use in the UK.

The government vowed to deliver the first of two shots to nearly 15 million people, including all people over 70, by mid-February. But critics say the government continues to repeat its mistakes, adapting too slowly to changing situations.

As infection rates drop in the summer, the government encourages people to return to restaurants and workplaces to help restore the economy. When the virus started surging again in September, Johnson rejected advice from his scientific advisers to lock down the country, before finally announcing a second, month-long national lockdown on October 31.

Hopes that such measures would be enough to curb the spread of the virus vanished in December when scientists warned that the new variant was up to 70% more transmissible than the original strain. Johnson tightened restrictions for London and the southeast, but the government’s scientific advisory committee warned Dec. 22 that would not be enough. Johnson didn’t announce a third national lockdown for Britain until nearly two weeks later, on January 4. Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland create their own public health policies and impose similar restrictions.

“Why is this prime minister, with all the scientific expertise at his disposal, all the power to make a difference, always the last one to understand what needs to happen?” said Jonathan Ashworth, health spokesman for the opposition Labor Party. “The prime minister isn’t short on data, he doesn’t really make up his mind.”

Costello says Johnson shouldn’t be blamed. He said the feeling of “extraordinary” had led many British officials to watch the scene from Wuhan, China, in early 2020 and think “it’s all happening in Asia and it is not going to get here. We turned out to be short,” he said. “And I thought it was a wake-up call.”

John Bell, professor of medicine at the University of Oxford Regius, said people should be more forgiving of official missteps. “It’s easy to be critical about what we’ve been doing, but you have to remember that nobody has really gotten over a pandemic like this who has done it before,” he told the BBC.

“We all try to make decisions on the run, and some of them are bound to be wrong decisions. Everyone has to do their best, and I think the whole – including, I have to say, the politicians. So don’t beat them too badly. . “

The country’s Health Minister Matt Hancock said on Sunday that the UK has now given about 2 million people vaccinated against COVID-19 ahead of an increase in injection launches on Monday.

“Over the last week we have vaccinated more people than the whole of December, so we are accelerating the rollout,” he told BBC TV, according to Reuters.

Asked how many people have been vaccinated, Hancock said: “It’s about 2 million, but we will publish the exact figures tomorrow and beyond every day.”

.



image source

Factory workers injured after a fire engulfed the Karachi-Pakistan chemical plant | Instant News


Published in 09 January 2021 11:24

Two workers have been rescued.

KARACHI (Dunya News) – Several workers were injured after a fire broke out at a chemical factory in SITE Karachi.

Details, two workers trapped on the roof of the factory have been evacuated by rescue workers.

According to the MD Water Council, a state of emergency has been imposed on the NIPA hydrants and Sakhi Hassan and all other tankers have been removed.

.



image source

Waikeria Prison Rebellion: Fear of roofs collapsing, ‘tensions’ escalating, rioters throwing rubble at police | Instant News


New Zealand

16 prisoners maintained their protest on the roof of the prison after 4 days. Videos / Newshub

More fires broke out overnight at the Waikeria Prison and Correctional Facility said the situation at the facility remained “very unstable”.

Incident supervisor Jeanette Burns said there was tension in the group of 16 inmates in the “upper prison” who had access to weapons and may have used drugs from pharmacies.

“I appreciate that this event is very sad for the family and friends of the inmates involved,” said Burns.

“We have no information to suggest that any of them were injured.”

They kept urging the men to give up, she said.

“We don’t want men, our staff or other emergency services staff to be harmed.”

Burns said anyone who did not ask the people to give up peacefully immediately jeopardized the safety of prisoners, staff and emergency services.

The prisoners continued to light a fire inside the facility overnight, threatening staff and police and throwing debris at them from the roof of the building, he said.

“We are concerned about the integrity of the burning building structure and the potential for collapse, as well as the toxicity of the burning building materials,” he said.

“Along with this we know that there is tension between group members, they have access to weapons and they may have used drugs from pharmacies.”

The situation remains “very unstable” and options for intervention are limited because of the dangers.

“Nonetheless, we continue to work closely with the police to ensure that every opportunity to resolve incidents with the aim of minimizing harm to anyone is considered and acted upon.

“We have an obligation to look after these people, and they will most likely remain in our custody for the next few years.

“Their point has been made. We are building a new facility to replace the existing top prison facility, which will be completed in 2022.”

The group avoided arrest on the roof of the prison after riots involving starting a fire ravaged the prison grounds on Tuesday afternoon.

The previous correction said, while the damage to the upper prison needed to be assessed, it was unlikely that prisoners would be accommodated there anymore.

Whereas family members who were desperate on the outside had urged them to give up but warn their loved ones to be “willing to die” if their basic needs are not met.

A relative told RNZ today that their cousin who is protesting doesn’t care whether he is alive or dead, because he is defending his rights.

“He’s restless, he’s hungry, he’s thirsty … but he said he’ll survive … at least he knows he’s defending his rights and the rights of others who will be held in this prison.”

The woman told RNZ that her cousin was only detained for not paying the fine and having a 6 month old baby at home.

Inmate pay phones, and all other phones in the prison, are currently out of service.

Correction said it appreciates this will be worrying and inconvenient for the inmates and their family and friends and is working to resolve it quickly.

It is said to provide assurance that all inmates in other units are safe and sound in the prison.

.



image source