Tag Archives: Food poverty

Marcus Rashford’s petition to end child food poverty signed by more than 1 million people | education | Instant News


Marcus Rashford’s petition to end child food poverty has hit millions of signatures as thousands of local cafes, restaurants and businesses step in to support struggling families without access to free school meals during the half semester break.

It is one of only five parliamentary petitions to have drawn a million signatures, and the first since the last general election, fueled by the 22-year-old Manchester United footballer’s campaign skills and deft use of social media to garner support.

Hundreds of thousands of people registered in protest afterwards Last week lawmakers rejected the Labor Party’s motion to extend free school meals through Easter 2021 to keep children from going hungry.

Labor has since been building pressure, calling for transparency over the role of the chancellor reports from a single line between the Ministry of Finance and the Ministry of Education. “It is hard to believe that this government refused to provide food to the poorest children in the country at the height of the pandemic,” said the shadow chancellor, Anneliese Dodds.

“And now the ministers are getting into a desperate blame game rather than admitting they made this mistake and correcting it.”

The chancellor’s spending review was set for November 25 and Downing Street said Rishi Sunak could announce extra support to feed families during school holidays, although many in government remain against food stamps.

The Rashford Petition calls on the government to expand access to free school meals, provide meals and activities during the holidays to prevent hunger and expand health start-up schemes to provide more support to young mothers regarding alimony.

A million milestones passed, Manchester United and England strikers using his Twitter account to highlight great-grandmother’s efforts Flo Osborne, 89, who has baked hundreds of pies to feed starving children for half a month.

More than 2,000 cafes, restaurants and other businesses in the UK have so far followed Rashford’s call to support struggling families for half a semester, according to All Of Us Together, a team of tech and campaign volunteers who have founded a interactive map to register participating organizations.


Coworkers tell House of Lords about his mother’s ‘panic’ over school meals – video

Alison Killing, of the All Of Us Together team, said they asked participating businesses to report back on how much food they gave during the week to create demand maps and help local councils support families.

“We want to make sure we catch the places that offer help, and make sure that struggling families see where they can get help locally – sharing maps on your local facebook group and in your community will go a long way toward making that happen. occur.”

.



image source

Marcus Rashford: the public demonstration behind the campaign to end child food poverty | Public | Instant News


Marcus Rashford may have seen his efforts to get the government to provide food to the poorest children defeated in generally this week, however, the footballer has harnessed a force far greater than parliament in his fight to beat food poverty – the kindness of foreigners.

When the news broke that a Labor A motion to provide 1.4 million disadvantaged children in Britain with £ 15 a week in food vouchers over the holidays to Easter 2021 was rejected by the government on Wednesday night, dozens of hard-hit restaurants, bars and cafes contacted Rashford for assistance. .

The Manchester United and UK strikers’ campaign to end child food poverty calls for an extension of free school meals for more than 1.4 million British children, an increase in the value of Healthy Start fresh fruit and vegetable vouchers for low-income pregnant women, and an expansion of the holiday hunger scheme led by charity.

At 10.30pm on Thursday, Rashford expressed his intention: “Blown away by news of local businesses stepping up to fill the coupon scheme deficit during the mid-October period. Selflessness, kindness, togetherness, this is the England I know, “he said tweeted. “Add #ENDCHILDFOODPOVERTY to your tweet so I can track it. I will share as much as I can. “


Marcus Rashford talks about experiences with childhood poverty in the quest for free school meals – video

He then starts a steady stream of posts, mostly screengrabs from local sites on Facebook, tagged with where help can be found. Offers came from everywhere, including Wigan and Watford, St Helens and Middlesbrough, Hull, Falmouth, Liverpool and Lincoln.

Posting his last tweet just before midnight, the footballer restarted at 7.49am. As one observer put it: “Marcus Rashford appears to have established an alternative government.”

Owner He Trunk Tapas in Stevenage writes that the government’s decision not to fund food is “truly heartbreaking”, adding: “We can’t do anything to change that decision, so we need to help! We work in an industry that is being destroyed by this virus, but can’t use that as an excuse. “Customers applaud the move, offering to donate costs.” What a wonderful thing to offer, “wrote local Rohan Gordon.” Community spirit lives on. “

Even companies without a background in hospitality promise support, Summer Home Interior at Shrewsbury wrote, offering to make lunch bags for children as a receipt for free school meals, adding: “We’re not sure how successful this will be or how busy it will be so please be patient – we’re just trying to do our part for our community.”

Owner of Berry tea room at Cumbria offering packed lunches, saying as single parents of three children, they understand what it feels like to need help: “You can confidently send me a private message and stop by and pick it up. Please don’t feel embarrassed. “








Rashford on FareShare, Greater Manchester, with his mother. A charity network named the new warehouse in his honor. Photo: FareShare / Mark Waugh / PA

In north Liverpool, Panda taxi offer a free ride to any family who needs to the food bank, Manjaros at Middlesbrough promised to quietly deliver food packages, meanwhile Rhubarb Shed cafe in Sheffield offering sandwiches, cupcakes and hot chocolate after seeing other companies in Rotherham do the same. “Although this token may be small, we hope it brings smiles to the faces of some children during this dark time,” wrote the owner.

The tidal wave of goodness continued at Leeds, where Muntaz offering free chicken or vegetable biryanis to children between the ages of four and 16, writing: “This is NOT about politics. It’s about doing our part to help […] Kindness only produces good. We have to help each other during these difficult times. “

Boards including Redbridge and Southwark have also said they would go into breach. Redbridge board member Khayer Chowdhury writes: “If the government won’t feed starving children, this area of ​​London will.”

In response to the tweet, which continued on Friday, the mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, tweeted: “If you need to be reminded that our country is much better and more generous than this government, take a look @TokopediaTwitter feed this morning. #ENDCHILDFOODPOVERTY

.



image source

How Covid sows the seeds for food security in Johannesburg | Global development | Instant News


.



image source

MPs say the government must appoint food security ministers after a pandemic Public | Instant News


Ministers must consider perpetuating the law as the right to food and necessity appoint a new minister for food security, according to an influential committee of lawmakers, after the coronavirus pandemic was seriously affected by the government’s handling of the food system in a crisis.

The second wave of Covid-19 can sharply increase the number of people the risk of food shortages and hunger, which has reached 6.6 million, including 1.7 million children, according to a report on the environmental, food and rural affairs committee.

Panic purchase – which is often only consumers responding to the need to eat all food at home – and lacking some staples in stores, marked the start of the Covid-19 crisis after the government failed to communicate properly with the community and the food industry, MPs on the environmental, food and rural affairs committee were found in a new report.

The government “seems unprepared” for the impact of closing restaurants and cafes, they said, and is too slow to provide guidance for workers in the food supply sector.

They warned that Britain was facing a more serious threat to food supplies, including a second wave of coronaviruses, the possibility of a disagreed Brexit, and in the long term climate crisis, this would require more intervention by the government. The UK remains supplied during locking by food imports from abroad, but disruptions to cross-border trade can trigger a more serious impact on food availability.

During the initial lockout phase, there were reports of farmers pouring fresh milk, or can’t find a market for meat and fish. There is a call for a ground troops to bring the harvest, if foreign workers cannot be brought in, and worries will end food waste as well as deficiency.

Neil Parish, chair of the committee on environmental selection, food and rural affairs, said: “Despite warnings from other countries, it seems the government has continued to catch up in trying to support the food industry during the crisis. There is a misunderstanding in government about where and how people will get their food before and during locking. “

He warned that “a surge in urgent demand for food aid” was “likely to get worse before it gets better”, with people driven out of jobs and the economy in recession.

Kath Dalmeny, chief executive of the Sustain food and agriculture alliance, said lawmakers were right to express concern, because the Covid-19 crisis highlighted a longstanding problem. “For too long, the government ignored that fact millions of people experience household food insecurity every day. “They won’t even measure it properly, so we can all face the facts and discuss what needs to be done about it,” he told the Guardian.

He called on the government to ensure that the elderly and people with disabilities, who received food packages while protecting, were not left without provisions, and for ministers to prepare now for the second wave.

The committee pays tribute to key workers in the food industry, as well as food banks and other food redistribution organizations that serve vulnerable people, which the chairman praises as “reacting heroically”. The response from the department on environmental, food and rural issues was also considered satisfactory in many respects in the end. But lawmakers insist more must be done to ensure a better response to threatening threats.

Geraint Davies, Labor MP for Swansea West, and a member of the committee, pointed to the fact that 6.6 million people are currently in food insecurity, in the midst of a full supermarket and temporary leave provisions remain in place.

“This is an embarrassing condition of Britain after ten years of austerity,” he said. “But there are many bad things that will happen. We face the edge of the cliff end of leave in October, when Britain prepares for a second wave of coronavirus followed by irregular Brexit. The combination of greater financial pressure on the poorest families along with the rise of disease and food shortages will add millions to food insecurity and hunger in Britain. “

Earlier this week, the National Food Strategy recommended extending free school meals for 1.5 million other children living in low-income families, and for school vacation clubs that offer healthy food. The government was forced to make a U-turn in June after Manchester United soccer player Marcus Rashford raises fears of starving children when vouchers given to replace free school meals must be stopped during the summer.

.



image source

The government was attacked for ignoring expert advice on nutrition in food packages World News | Instant News


The government has been accused of ignoring “staggering” for the basic nutrition of the most vulnerable members of society during the pandemic by a group of leading food policy academics.

A letter written by Tim Lang, professor of food policy at the City University of London, was sent at the beginning of the Covid-19 crisis to George Eustice, state secretary for environmental, food and rural affairs, and Duncan Selbie, chief executive officer of British Public Health.

It calls for the creation of an expert committee on food and nutrition to oversee the contents of food packages sent to the 1.5 million people needed to protect during the pandemic and to 1.3 million children who are eligible for free school meals. The letter was signed jointly by Erik Millstone, emeritus science policy professor at the University of Sussex, and Terry Marsden from Cardiff University. They proposed a committee that would reflect the work of Sage, the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies, who had informed government policies during the crisis.

In its response Defra said that PHE “is responsible for public health and the effect of nutrition on our immune system”. In turn, PHE responded that the problem raised was “for the minister”. As a result, none of the governments that believe in themselves are responsible for overseeing nutrition.

Lang described the response as “surprising”. “This shows the disturbing failure to put nutrition right at the heart of the policy. “It’s stupid and shows a poor understanding of how inequality is emphasized in a crisis,” he said.

Many of those who receive free food packages, provided by food service companies, Brakes and Bidfood, note that although they contain fresh fruits and vegetables, they are rich in simple carbohydrates and low in protein. When schools are closed and children who qualify for free school meals are given a food service company package, concerns also arise about their contents.


Marcus Rashford talks about experiences with children’s poverty in the effort to get free school meals – video

Peter Overton, an elementary school principal in Bristol, posted a picture of one to Twitter, describing it as “embarrassing”. Most were chips, chocolate biscuits, a cheap slice of bread, and a block of fat marked only for cooking.

Earlier this month the Northumbria University Healthy Living Lab reported a massive decrease in fruit and vegetable intake among students who qualify for free school meals. More than half of the children studied said they did not eat fruit or vegetables in a period of three days after being locked.

Funding for free school meals is now through a £ 15 weekly voucher per child, which can be spent at designated retailers. Last week a campaign by Manchester United and English soccer player Marcus Rashford forced the government to extend policies during the summer holidays. While this turnaround is welcomed by child poverty activists, there is increasing concern about the nutritional value of food eaten by the poorest families.

“There is a real danger that without some kind of supervision we lose focus on basic nutrition,” said Naomi Duncan, chief executive at Chefs School, a charity working to improve school food, which supported 850 families during the crisis. “The voucher scheme is a financial solution, not a nutritional solution. “There is a 30-year struggle to get better nutrition at the heart of school food supply and there is a risk of being lost,” he said.

In his response to Lang, Defra argues that “leading supermarkets work to ensure people have the food and products they need”. Lang described this as a key problem. “That is the Tesco approach,” he said. “This shows the weakness of British Public Health.”

In a statement, PHE said that any decision about forming an advisory committee on nutrition “would belong to the ministers”. Defra declined to comment.

Read From panic buying to a food bank: how Britain feeds itself in the first phase of cornoavirus at OFM today.

.



image source