The British government on Saturday gave the Premier League approval to continue the 2019-20 season on 17 June but insisted that all health guidelines and measures of social distance were strictly adhered to.
The government gave the green light for all forms of sports to restart from June 1 when the Digital, Culture, Media and Sports Department (DCMS) issued the ‘Phase Three’ guidelines.
“This guideline outlines the facilities and processes that need to be carried out, including that there will be no spectators at events, which must be played in private,” the Premier League said in a statement.
In the ‘Stage Two’ guide, athletes are permitted to continue “close” and “competitive” group training with fellow athletes or teammates.
“The Premier League welcomes the Government’s announcement today,” said Premier League Executive Chairman Richard Masters.
“All major sports, including the Premier League, have worked closely with the Department of Digital, Culture, Media and Sports to produce this Phase Three protocol.
“We cannot reach this point without the full support of the Government, especially DCMS, UK Public Health and the team of Chief Medical Officers.
“We are temporarily planning to restart the Premier League on June 17, but there is still a lot of work to be done to ensure the safety of everyone involved.
Meanwhile, to further enhance Premier League hopes to restart the 2019-20 season on June 17, no new positive cases of COVID-19 have emerged after the latest round of tests conducted on players and staff on May 28 and 29.
In the final round of tests, conducted on May 25 and 26, four cases of positive news were reported that made the COVID-19 count in the Premier League to 12. The identity of infected people was not disclosed but was told that they had been asked to isolate themselves for seven days.
Earlier this week, the English Premier League club agreed on June 17 as the resumption date for the 2019-20 season. If everything falls on the competition venue it will return after a suspension of more than 100 days because of the crisis caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.
“Premier League Shareholders today agreed to a new provisional start date for the 2019/20 season on June 17, provided that all safety requirements were in place,” the Premier League said in a statement.