Tag Archives: Formula One

The Brazilian F1 Grand Prix will stay at Interlagos until 2025 | Instant News


Taken to
You by

The global motorsport series is ready to race in Rio de Janeiro.

The Brazilian F1 Grand Prix will stay at Interlagos until 2025

Getty Images

  • The new Sao Paulo race deal includes an option to extend to 2030
  • F1 also plans to introduce a sustainable fuel powered engine for 2026

The Formula One Brazilian Grand Prix will remain at Sao Paulo’s Interlagos circuit until 2025.

The news was announced by state governor Joao Doria, who told a news conference that a deal with the global motorsport series had been agreed “for the next five years”.

Although Formula One owner Liberty Media has yet to sign a contract, Sao Paulo’s mayor Bruno Covas stated that the deal would be finalized “in the coming days”. The agreement also includes options to extend to 2030.

Formula One has been racing at Interlagos since 1990, but the goal of the next Brazilian Grand Prix is ​​unclear after the series struck a temporary agreement last month with investment firm Rio Motorsports to stage the event in Rio de Janeiro.

However, the prospect of Rio’s race was in doubt after that Rio Motorsports canceled a separate five-year broadcast contract it was signed with Formula One in September, citing problems with the draw schedule brought about by Covid-19.

The investment firm’s plans to develop a new line in Rio have also met with opposition from environmental groups. The planned circuit is located in the Camboata Forest, and its construction means that thousands of trees have to be felled. Lewis Hamilton, who won a record-equaling seventh world title at the Turkish Grand Prix last weekend, also criticized the proposal.

However, Autosport reports that Formula One’s decision to keep racing at Interlagos, whose contract expires in 2020, was because the venue had a ready path and was able to commit to a long-term deal.

The 2021 Brazilian Grand Prix will take place on November 14 next year.

Meanwhile, in an effort to step up its eco-friendly efforts, Formula One has announced plans to introduce a sustainable fuel-powered engine by the 2026 season.

Work is underway to investigate how to effectively combine hybrid engines with carbon neutral fuels.

While Formula One acknowledged in a statement that its cars account for only 0.7 percent of its total carbon footprint, the series said it was ‘important that the most visual parts of our sport are sustainable and can have real-world benefits’.

The sport has set a target of a net zero carbon footprint by 2030.

.



image source

F1 GP Brazil will stay at Interlagos until 2025 because Rio’s steps are intermittent | Instant News


The Formula 1 Brazilian Grand Prix will stay at Interlagos until 2025 after a new long-term agreement is reached, according to the governor of Sao Paulo.

The historic venue, which has held races every year since being shortened in 1990, will be replaced by a new circuit in Rio de Janeiro starting next year.

However, the company behind the project, Rio Motorsports, is facing an uphill battle obtain the necessary environmental permits to continue construction facility, which is located on the outskirts of the town of Deodoro.

Amid questions over whether the circuit will be built, F1 owners Liberty Media returned to Sao Paulo, despite previously arguing over their last contract, negotiating with Bernie Ecclestone, which saw Interlagos host the Brazilian Grand Prix for free.

And after being included in the provisional 2021 calendar earlier this week, it looks like the future of racing is secured.

“The Interlagos race track has been confirmed to host F1 for the next five years,” state governor Joao Doria said at a press conference earlier this week.

“The contract will be signed by [Sao Paulo] Mayor Bruno Covas and Liberty Media, F1 rights holders.

“This is a big win for the city of Sao Paulo, this is a big win for the state of Sao Paulo and for Brazil.”

Some reports claim the race will become known as the Sao Paulo GP under the new agreement, and there is definitely no love lost for those trying to take F1 away from the city.

“The understanding we have maintained since last year with Liberty Media is based on the right instruments, with race tracks that are approved by riders, by teams, and for over 30 years, having hosted the Brazilian Grand Prix,” added Doria.

“We don’t make speculations, we don’t make artificial projections, we don’t promise investments that can’t be made.”

F1 is also known to have canceled the broadcast rights agreement made with Rio Motorsports, and it is not known where the company will continue their project going forward.

.



image source

Swiss Sauber joins the elite club F1 team | Instant News


ISTANBUL: Switzerland, a country that has banned motor racing for 60 years, on Sunday (15 November) will see the only Formula One team join the elite sports club grandee outfit.

The humble Sauber team will embark on a historic 500th race at the Turkish Grand Prix – a feat only achieved by three other teams, led by Ferrari.

The Hinwil-based team, founded by Peter Sauber as a sports car company, entered F1 in 1993 and since then have raced under multiple identities including the BMW Sauber and, most recently, the Alfa Romeo.

This weekend at the Istanbul Park circuit, Kimi Raikkonen, the individual record holder for most F1 race entries – he started his 326th race on Sunday – will make himself smile with delight.

He returns to racing with the team that gave him his debut in 2001, after working with McLaren, Ferrari and Lotus, and is proud of the survival and achievements of the Swiss privateer team.

“This team is a little bit bigger than when I started F1 with them,” recalls the 2007 world champion, now 41.

“It’s the right team. We have all the equipment, we’ve made the car. The gearbox and engine are from Ferrari, but other than that we do everything.”

In his first season, Sauber finished fourth in the constructors’ championship, their best result. Since then, despite being sold to BMW and repurchased, the Sauber brand has continued.

“Money is always a problem with small teams, but that’s how it is,” said Raikkonen.

“That’s an incredible number – 500 – for the team and I think only three other people have done more Grand Prix.

“So I think for the private team they have been here for a long time, survived very difficult times and, hopefully, we can get them to go higher in the coming years.”

READ: Hamilton prepares for his seventh title when the race returns to Turkey

READ: Hamilton is more proud to push for equality than his seventh F1 title

Ferrari, McLaren and Williams are the trio of rival teams that have participated in more races. They also won the most team titles.

In contrast, Sauber only had one win to show their longevity, and that came with Robert Kubica at the 2008 Canadian Grand Prix when BMW was in control.

Raikkonen’s Italian team-mate Antonio Giovinazzi, a Ferrari protege in his third season, also showed affection for the unsung Swiss team who have nurtured and developed many young riders, including current Ferrari star Charles Leclerc.

“This is an extraordinary achievement, a small team like Sauber who did 500 Grand Prix is ​​extraordinary,” he said. “I’m proud even though I was a small part of this record, because for me this is an important team.

“I made my debut with them in 2017, my first full season with them and now my third season with them.”

Even though the team was taken over by Swiss investment group Longbow Finance when it was in financial danger in 2016, they have retained their home and staff in Hinwil – and its Swiss identity.

“I am proud to be part of this family,” said Giovinazzi. “To be a small team, they achieved extraordinary results and they have a great record like this.”

Switzerland banned motorbike racing after the 1955 Le Mans tragedy, when 83 spectators died after a car crashed into a crowd.

.



image source

F1: Valtteri Bottas took pole position from Hamilton in Italy | Instant News


Valtteri Bottas snatched pole position for Sunday’s Emilia Romagna Grand Prix from Mercedes teammate Lewis Hamilton with a dramatic final lap in qualifying at Imola on Saturday. The Finn, who is 77 points adrift of series leader and six-time champion Hamilton with five races remaining in this year’s title, takes a top-grid spot with a tenth of a second. Hamilton, fastest in his only morning practice, had been top through most of the qualifying session and took temporary pole in his first round in Q3 before Bottas beat him in the dying seconds.

Max Verstappen was third for Red Bull ahead of former team-mates Pierre Gasly of Alpha Tauri, Daniel Ricciardo of Renault and Alex Albon at second Red Bull. Charles Leclerc took seventh place for Ferrari with Daniil Kvyat eighth in the second Alpha Tauri ahead of two McLarens from Lando Norris and Carlos Sainz. Bottas’ success saw him grab his fourth pole of the season and his 15th career as the Mercedes team claimed another front row lockdown ahead of the race where they could claim an unprecedented seventh successive constructors title.

They only need one car to finish in the top four to seal that streak of success. “It’s never easy to get to the pole position, but I really enjoy it on this track,” said Bottas. “I knew I had to improve on my last lap, so I found that little advantage – and I had a shiver after the last lap, which is always a good sign!” Hamilton praised his team-mates. “Valtteri did a great job and it was a really bad lap on my own, but you can’t always get it right. It’s a great track, but I’m pretty sure it’s going to be a boring race tomorrow – just a train after Turn One. “

Verstappen said: “It’s complicated, but the P3 isn’t really bad – although I wish I could be a little closer to Mercedes.”

Keep scrolling to read more news

Follow all the latest sport News and updates here. Download also new mid-day Android and iOS application to get the latest updates.

Mid-Day is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@diddayinfedialtd) and stay up to date with the latest news

This story is sourced from a third party syndicated feed, agency. Mid-day is not responsible or liable for the reliance, trustworthiness, reliability and textual data. Midday / mid-day.com management reserves the sole right to change, remove, or remove (without notice) the content in its sole discretion for any reason.

.



image source

Mysterious Disease F1 Drivers At Eifel Grand Prix Confirmed To Be COVID-19 | Instant News


Illustration for article titled Mysterious Disease F1 Drivers At Eifel Grand Prix Confirmed to be COVID-19

Photo: Rudy Caressing (Getty Images)

Just before Saturday’s qualifying session at the Eifel Grand Prix, Racing Point racer Lance Stroll withdrew from the event, citing the mysterious illness he noted at the time was not COVID-19. Now, two weeks later, the Canadian racer admits that, despite the negative test before the race weekend, he did catch COVID.

Racing Point noted that Stroll felt unwell after the Russian Grand Prix but did not test positive for the coronavirus prior to the race at the Nurburgring. Indeed, team boss Otmar Szafnauer confirmed it was some kind of stomach ache and Stroll had just lost fluids after spending the night in the toilet.

However, new reports say otherwise.

On Wednesday, Lance Stroll announced via Instagram and Twitter that he had indeed tested positive for COVID-19 after flying to his home in Switzerland over the Eifel GP weekend. He admitted to having tested negative on the track and only tested positive after arriving at his home, where he was then isolated for 10 days. He said he had tested negative.

Stroll’s father and part-owner of the team, Lawrence Stroll, also tested positive for COVID-19.

However, a recent report has raised more criticism of the situation. After Stroll started feeling sick at the Eifel Grand Prix, he contacted his personal doctor by phone, Motorsport report. By telephone, doctors said Stroll did not have the coronavirus, but that the diagnosis was not confirmed by tests until Stroll had flown home.

F1 has implemented a fairly strict protocol when compared to other racing series. Everyone in the paddock is tested before COVID-19 before entering for the weekend, and they are asked to stay inside their bubble to prevent contact with people who may be sick. A temperature check is performed whenever someone enters the paddock.

As we noted a few weeks ago, some drivers are very unhappy with the protocol at Russian Grand Prix. Russia does not force people to wear masks, and F1 drivers make contact with many people in their hotels without revealing their cover.

Szafnauer defended his team’s response:

She had stomach aches, and she had them consistently. And one thing Lance did was call his doctor. So what should I do? Well? So instead of listening to Otmar, he called his doctor. I’m not a doctor.

He’s Lance’s personal doctor in Switzerland … it was a phone call. And it’s the same person Lance saw after Russia. So, you know, she had a stomachache after Russia, we tested her a few times. Lance went and saw a doctor in Switzerland, it was his calling.

Looking back is great, but let’s not forget, he tested the negatives before the event. He tested negative twice post-Russia. The symptoms are there post-Russian.

Now he’s had a test on Sunday, and it’s positive, yeah, you can look back. But you have to remember at that time, with the information we had, it was not necessary. It doesn’t even cross my mind: do the test.

He also noted that he tested everyone at the factory twice a week to make sure no one was sick.

The other people in the paddock were harsh in their criticism. McLaren’s CEO, Zak Brown, said, “I know [Stroll’s] doctors don’t think the test is positive; maybe come to think of it, it should be different. Don’t know who the doctor is. Don’t know if it’s Dr. Mallya, Dr. Seuss, maybe it’s Dr. Dre. Maybe next time, we should test if anyone has any symptoms because we know how dangerous this is. “

At this point, more testing can be done by all teams, along with a face-to-face consultation with a doctor who can make a health evaluation based on physical symptoms and tests, not what someone reports.

Stroll has tested negative ahead of this weekend’s Grand Prix and is ready to race.

.



image source