The Sindh High Court (SHC) has dropped a criminal case regarding the alleged kidnapping of a girl from Clifton after it was revealed that she left Pakistan alone and now lives with her mother in England.
The order came on the petition of the Council of Abdullah Ahmed Farooqui, who moved the court against the disappearance of his daughter from the Dolmen Mall area on February 19. Investigating officers from the Boat Basin police station filed a progress report, which according to the report, police found that the girl was seen entering a shopping mall in her school uniform and then being taken in a white jeep to Karachi airport on the same day.
The IO said the girl had flown abroad on February 19 on a temporary passport issued by the Deputy of the British High Commission on February 10. The officer said that the applicant had four daughters, including the girl, with his first wife, who had lived in England after the couple’s divorce.
The petitioner had informed the police that the girl would reach adulthood on March 1, and that she had been in contact with her mother for two or three months. He suspected that he had flown to England without any permission or gesture.
After going through the IO report, the chair of the SHC division headed by Judge Mohammad Karim Khan Agha said the girl was no longer missing, apparently living in England with her biological mother of her own accord and is 18 years old. The bench said that since the girl was no longer a missing person and she had not been kidnapped, the registered FIR at the Boat Basin police station was hereby canceled.
In another case of alleged enforced disappearance, the court took exception to the police for not being able to collect financial details of a man who had been missing for more than four years.
Hearing Syamim Ara’s petition against the alleged enforced disappearance of Syed Arif Hussain, who has been missing since January 22, 2017, the judge said that even though the person was missing for more than four years, the police were still unable to investigate the latter. his bank account activity.
The court said the response submitted by the police was completely unacceptable as it clearly indicated that the Sindh police chief might not even bother reading the report before signing it.
The court also said that a police officer of high rank and experience should realize that it is not a difficult task to collect account details of a missing person and examine his latest activity in four years.
The panel ordered the IGP to appear in person and explain why such a report, which could at best be taken for granted, was signed by it and filed in court. The bench also ordered the National Police Chief to deliver a detailed report, including progress made and actions taken to recover the missing.
The court also took exception to non-compliance with a court order by the Interior Ministry regarding the submission of reports from the internment center in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa. The judge said that it appeared the interior secretary was least interested in complying with court orders even though the federal government expressed great concern over missing persons.
The court ordered the interior ministry to submit a list of people held in detention centers, saying that if the documents were not filed, the interior secretary had to appear in person so that a suitable order could be issued against him.