Tag Archives: Health Care (TRBC level 1)

Modi from India visited a major vaccine facility as COVID-19 cases escalated | Instant News


NEW DELHI (Reuters) – Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi visited the country’s three leading vaccine development and production sites on Saturday as coronavirus cases continue to rise.

India has recorded 9.35 million COVID-19 infections, second only to the United States. It reported 41,322 new cases and 485 deaths as of Saturday.

The western state of Maharashtra – home to India’s financial hub Mumbai – has been hard hit by the virus. The tally is 1.68 million cases higher than for countries such as Spain, Italy and the UK.

Modi undertook a three-city whirlwind tour and visited the Zydus Cadila facility in the western city of Ahmedabad, the Bharat Biotech facility in the southern hub of Hyderabad and the sprawling campus at the Serum Institute of India in the western city of Pune.

After the visit, Modi said India’s role in developing the vaccine was a global good and he was pleased with the rapid progress being made.

“It is India’s duty to assist other countries, including countries in our neighborhood, in the collective fight against the virus,” Modi said in a statement.

The company is testing self-developed vaccine options, as well as working on trials of vaccines being developed overseas.

The Serum Institute, the world’s largest vaccine producer, has partnered with global players including AstraZeneca and Novavax Inc to run domestic trials on their vaccine candidates and produce vaccines, if they get approval.

Zydus Cadila is developing the original DNA-based vaccine, ZyCov-D, while privately owned Bharat Biotech is working on a vaccine candidate called COVAXIN in collaboration with the state-run Indian Medical Research Council.

India hopes to complete its final test on COVAXIN in a month or two, said health minister Harsh Vardhan earlier this month.

Reporting by Nidhi Verma; Edited by Euan Rocha and Christina Fincher

.



image source

The UK testing error mistakenly informed 1,300 people that they had the coronavirus | Instant News


(Reuters) – More than 1,300 people in Britain were told inaccurately they had the coronavirus after a laboratory error in the government’s NHS Test and Trace system, the Department of Health and Social Care told Reuters on Saturday.

A man walks past people queuing outside a test center following the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak, in Southend-on-sea, England, September 17, 2020. REUTERS / John Sibley

“NHS Test and Trace has contacted 1,311 people who were falsely told that the results of the COVID-19 test, which were taken between November 19 and November 23, had turned out to be positive. A problem with a batch of test chemicals means their test results are not valid, “a department spokesman said in an emailed statement.

“Rapid action has been taken to notify those affected and they have been asked to take more tests, and to continue to self-isolate if they have symptoms.”

The laboratory error that caused the problem was an “isolated incident” and is being investigated, the statement said.

The government has announced an additional 7 billion pounds ($ 9.31 billion) for COVID-19 testing and contact tracing systems as part of an expanded mass testing program.

The NHS Test and Trace system has been heavily criticized after a series of major failures since it was launched earlier this year, and ministers admit that the system is not performing as well as they had hoped.

In September, nearly 16,000 positive case records disappeared from the system over several days – causing contact tracing delays. The government blames a “legacy” file system for cutting records after about 65,000 lines of data.

Reuters analysis and interviews with contact tracers have shown problems with the system, and when looking at non-household contacts, the proportion that were successfully traced was lower.

Britain has about 1.6 million coronavirus cases and more than 57,500 deaths, according to a Reuters tally tmsnrt.rs/3cBeEYg.

($ 1 = 0.7517 pounds)

Reporting by Kanishka Singh in Bengaluru; Edited by Mike Harrison

.



image source

The UK’s strict COVID-19 tier system will remain in effect until Easter Monday – Sun. | Instant News


FILE PHOTO: An empty street view, as new restrictions are placed on bars and restaurants to curb the spread of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19), in London, UK, 24 September 2020. REUTERS / Hannah McKay

(Reuters) – Britain’s strict COVID-19 rate system is expected to be in effect through Easter Monday, Sun reported. bit.ly/3lbCbmp on Friday.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson is determined to put the NHS first and believes he should wait until the peak of the COVID-19 winter in February and March to ease his grip, the report added.

Reporting by Anirudh Saligrama in Bengaluru; edited by Diane Craft

.



image source

UPDATE 1-Italian regulator investigates RBM Intesa, Previmedical for health insurance complaints | Instant News


* Probe triggered by more than 1,000 complaints

* Intesa received the RBM Salut earlier this year

* Intesa says standards have been improved, complaints have decreased (Adding Intesa’s statement)

ROME, November 26 (Reuters) – Italy’s antitrust authorities said on Thursday it had opened an investigation into the businesses of the RBM Salute Intesa Sanpaolo and Previmedical for alleged unfair commercial practices in health insurance services.

Regulators said in a statement that they had received more than 1,000 complaints about possible “aggressive commercial practices” by the two groups that had led to customers giving up the service and reimbursement they were entitled to.

Clients say they face requests to provide redundant documentation, delays in obtaining authorization for required care and difficulties in contacting call centers. Some failed to get reimbursed for their health services for no good reason, regulators said.

The regulator said it had carried out inspections at the headquarters of the two companies on Wednesday with the help of the Italian financial police.

Intesa Sanpaolo said the complaint was related to the period before the acquisition of RBM Salute in May 2020.

“Since that date, concrete steps have been taken to align the quality of service provided to customers with the high standards held by the entire Intesa Sanpaolo group,” said Italy’s largest bank.

Intesa said complaints had halved in the first nine months of this year compared to the same period in 2018, with only 0.07% of customers being insured.

Previmedical did not reply to a Reuters email seeking comment. (Reporting by Francesca Piscioneri, additional reporting by Maria Pia Quaglia and Valentina Za in Milan; Editing by Elaine Hardcastle)

.



image source

Swiss ski resorts can remain open for now – the minister of health | Instant News


FILE PHOTOS: Jungfrau Railway V-cableway Terminal, a 470 million CHF investment linking Grindelwald to Maennlichen and Eigergletscher by 2 lifts, pictured in front of Mount Eiger during final testing before the opening of the Eiger Express on 4 December, Amid the outbreak of the coronavirus disease (COVID- 19), at the ski resort of Grindelwald, Switzerland, 23 November 2020. REUTERS / Denis Balibouse / File Photo

ZURICH (Reuters) – Swiss ski resorts can remain open for now as long as they have strict security measures in place to limit the spread of the coronavirus, Health Minister Alain Berset said Thursday.

Neighbors France, Italy, Austria and Germany have all ordered even upland lifts that could operate earlier this winter to remain closed in the hope that all resorts can reap the benefits in peak season, if and when infection rates slow down.

“In Switzerland the situation is much easier, one can still ski, that’s always the goal. Obviously with respect to very strict measures, we have to have a plan of protection and everything has to be clear, “Berset told a news conference in Bern.

He’s left the door open to changing policies if conditions change later in the year, when a two-week holiday period lures many winter sports fans to the slopes.

“The situation remains very serious and very unstable … and we have not yet decided how it will be in the future,” said Berset, adding Bern was in close contact with his neighbor and Swiss territory.

He acknowledged tensions would arise if the Swiss resorts were the only open resorts. “We have to discuss this with the cantons but we are a sovereign country and can decide for ourselves what facts are in our region,” he added.

Switzerland has adopted a “middle ground” to curb a pandemic that has infected more than 300,000 and killed 4,109 here, leaving the country largely open for business while urging people to keep their distance and embrace proper hygiene.

Berset said Switzerland could get its first limited supply of the COVID-19 vaccine by the end of January if all goes well. It will not force people to get the vaccine, which it plans to distribute to patients free of charge.

Switzerland has signed vaccine contracts with Moderna and AstraZeneca and reserves doses from Pfizer upon completion of the contract.

Reporting by Michael Shields; editing by Stephanie Nebehay and Barbara Lewis

.



image source