Tag Archives: health

Covid 19 coronavirus: Ministry of Health updated cases on day one of travel ban to India | Instant News


Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern announced from Sunday NZ will temporarily suspend travel from India to combat a surge in infected tourists. Video / NZ Herald

There are three new cases of Covid-19 in managed isolation and none in the community, the Health Ministry announced today.

No new community cases have been detected since Tuesday’s announcement that an MIQ security guard at the Grand Millennium Hotel in Auckland has tested positive.

Fifteen close contacts of the Covid-infected MIQ workers, who have not been vaccinated, have now been tested for the virus and isolated. Thirteen have tested negative so far.

New locations of interest have now been identified in relation to MIQ workers. This is Bikanervala Bakery on White Swan Rd in Mt Roskill.

The preferred time is between 1.30 and 14.30 on April 7. Anyone in the bakery at that time was considered a casual contact and advised to monitor symptoms.

If you are not feeling well you should call Healthline, get tested and self-isolate.

Fifteen close contacts of the Covid-infected Grand Millennium workers are in isolation.  Photo / William Terite
Fifteen close contacts of the Covid-infected Grand Millennium workers are in isolation. Photo / William Terite

The Balmoral community testing center is open until 5pm today, or people can visit general practice after hours or emergency care clinics across Auckland for today’s exams.

Further locations of interest are expected and will be announced when confirmed, the ministry said.

Two of the three new positive cases in managed isolation in Auckland arrived from India between April 5 and 9, and tested positive within three days.

A third case arrived from Papua New Guinea on April 8 and tested positive on the first day of managed isolation.

The total number of active cases across the country is now 108.

The seven-day mean turnover of new border-related cases was 9.

The ministry has confirmed a crew member of the ship in Taranaki under investigation has a historical infection that has been reported overseas. The person has returned a negative test result.

More than 4300 Covid-19 tests were processed yesterday.

A two-week ban on traveling to India

Today’s update comes in two weeks India’s travel suspension starts today.

There were 10 new border-related cases yesterday and all of them are in MIQ. Eight of those infected traveled from India via the United Arab Emirates. The remaining two are from the UAE via Malaysia and Canada via the United States.

The latest border cases are people traveling from India, prompting the Government to ban arrivals from the country until at least April 28.

Two of the positive cases from India yesterday tested positive around day 0, four around day 3, one (contact case) on day 7, and the other on day 8 after showing symptoms.

The Human Rights Commission has demanded the Government justify its ban on flights from India.

Chief Human Rights Commissioner Paul Hunt said more information was needed about why behind the travel suspension.

This is the first time New Zealand has stopped citizens or residents from returning.

“While a public health emergency is a justification for restricting the free movement of people, any restriction on the right of New Zealanders to return home must be clearly justified by the Government in accordance with domestic and international human rights obligations,” Hunt said.

The commission cannot judge whether the ban is valid, unless the Government is transparent about its decisions, he said.

New Zealand has agreed under the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights that no one may be arbitrarily deprived of the right to enter their own country.

.



image source

Brazil recorded 2,616 COVID-19 deaths as of Saturday, more than 71,000 cases | Instant News


RIO DE JANEIRO, April 10 (Reuters) – Brazil on Saturday recorded 2,616 new COVID-19 deaths and 71,832 new coronavirus cases, the Health Ministry said.

Brazil, which has become the latest epicenter of the coronavirus pandemic, with the second highest death toll after the United States, has recorded 13.45 million cases and more than 350,000 deaths, official data show. (Reporting by Gabriel Stargardter Editing by Paul Simao)

.



image source

Charles: The royal family is ‘very grateful’ for the world’s support | National | Instant News


LONDON (AP) – Prince Charles of England paid a heartfelt tribute to “dear Papa” on Saturday as Buckingham Palace presented an outline of the royal funeral that the family will attend and broadcast around the world.

As Queen Elizabeth II and other relatives mourned, Charles offered a private video message saying the royal family was “ very grateful ” for the outpouring of support they received after the death of her 99-year-old father, Prince Philip, on Friday. The heir to the throne said he was touched by the number of people around the world who have shared the loss and sorrow of their families.

“My dad is a very special person who I think, above all, will be amazed by the reactions and touching things that have been said about him,” said Charles, speaking from his home in Highgrove in southwest England. “And from that point of view we, my family, are very grateful for all of that. It will sustain us in this special loss and in these very sad times. ”

Philip’s royal ceremonial funeral will take place April 17 at Windsor Castle – a leaner service amid the COVID-19 pandemic that is completely closed to the public. The palace insists the royals will strictly adhere to national virus guidelines, steps that would in theory require the use of masks in confined spaces and social distancing. The palace declined to comment specifically.

Philip, the husband of the 73-year-old queen who is also known as the Duke of Edinburgh, co-planned her own funeral and focused on family according to her wishes. Duke also took part in designing a modified Land Rover that would carry his coffin.

“Despite the reduced ceremonial arrangements, the occasion will still celebrate and acknowledge the life of the duke and more than 70 years of service to the Queen, England and the Commonwealth,” a palace spokesman said Saturday while speaking on condition of anonymity. with policy.

Prince Harry, Philip’s grandson who resigned from royal duties last year and now lives in California, will attend services in Windsor along with other members of the royal family. His wife Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, is pregnant and has been advised by her doctors not to travel far to England.

Another absentee was Prime Minister Boris Johnson, whose office said he would not attend because current coronavirus restrictions limit funerals to 30 people, so staying away would “ allow as many family members as possible. ”

The Palace advised the public not to gather in Windsor or at Buckingham Palace in London to pay tribute to Philip – advice that many ignore.

Earlier on Saturday, military teams across Britain and on ships at sea unleashed 41 guns to mark Philip’s death, honoring a former naval officer they considered one of them.

Batteries in London, Edinburgh, Cardiff and Belfast – the capitals of the four nations that make up Great Britain – as well as other cities around Great Britain and the Mediterranean outpost at Gibraltar open fire at one-minute intervals starting at noon. The ships including HMS Montrose, a frigate that patrolled the Persian Gulf, paid their respects of their own.

“The Duke of Edinburgh served among us during the Second World War, and he remains in the service of the Royal Navy and the Armed Forces as a whole,” General Nick Carter, chief of defense staff, said in a statement. “A life well lived. His Majesty left us with a legacy of unshakable passion, fortitude and an unshakable sense of responsibility. “

Members of the Commonwealth, a group of 54 nations led by the queen, were also invited to honor Philip. The Australian Defense Force began saluting at 5 pm outside Parliament House in Canberra, and New Zealand plans to pay its own tribute on Sunday.

Philip joined the Royal Navy as a cadet in 1939 and had a promising military career. In 1941, he was honored for his services during the battle of Cape Matapan off the coast of Greece, when control of spotlights aboard the HMS Valiant allowed warships to pinpoint enemy ships in darkness. Philip rose to the rank of commander before he retired from active duty.

Two years after the war ended, Philip married Elizabeth at Westminster Abbey when he was 21 and she was 26. Philip’s naval career came to an abrupt end when King George VI died in 1952 and his wife became queen.

At the queen’s coronation in 1953, Philip vowed to become his wife’s “living and limb” and remain in the life of supporting the king. The couple has four children – Charles, heir to the throne, Anne, Andrew and Edward.

Prior to retiring from official duties in 2017, the prince conducted more than 22,000 solo public meetings and supported more than 780 organizations, including the Duke of Edinburgh Award for youth.

Community members continue to honor Philip’s service life, leaving flowers on Saturdays outside Buckingham Palace and Windsor Castle.

“I think everyone wants to pay their respects,” said Maureen Field, 67, outside Windsor Castle. “Because of the virus, a lot of people have to stay away. He didn’t want a big funeral. He wanted some very private time with his family to say goodbye. So, we all have to respect that. “

Mike Williams, 50, traveled from his home in Surrey, southwest London, to Buckingham Palace in honor of the prince.

“He’s been a huge loss for the country and the world, I think, so we want to come and pay our respects,” said Williams. “I don’t know what was accomplished, but it feels like the right thing to do.”

Associated Press writers James Brooks and Tom Rayner contributed.

Copyright 2021 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.

.



image source

German Merkel draft bill for national lockdown rules, curfew | National | Instant News


BERLIN – German Chancellor Angela Merkel’s coalition has drafted a bill that would divert the power to impose restrictions on COVID-19 on the federal government away from regional leaders to combat a spike in infections.

Merkel’s government plans to impose a curfew from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. in areas where the seven-day infection rate exceeds 100 cases per 100,000 people for three consecutive days. All non-essential shops must close and companies will be required to test employees twice a week, according to a 13-page bill seen by Bloomberg. Schools will be closed again in areas with an incidence rate of more than 200.

Merkel moved forward with the controversial initiative after it became clear that the country’s 16 states could not agree on common ground. While the country’s leaders may try to soften a few steps before Tuesday’s cabinet approval, parliament could pass new laws as early as next Friday.

The proposal’s biggest hurdle is likely to be a vote in the upper house, where the state government is represented and Merkel’s Christian Democrat-led coalition government does not have a majority.

Merkel and regional prime ministers have clashed over lockdown restrictions since the start of the pandemic, and several failed to enforce the rules agreed with the chancellor. Regular meetings to set policies sometimes drag on, leaving citizens confused about which measures apply to their states.

Distributed by the Tribune Content Agency, LLC

Copyright 2021 Tribune Content Agency.

.



image source