Tag Archives: humanitarian aid

Germany contributes more than 1 billion euros to Syria | Instant News


Germany will donate more than 1 billion euros ($ 1.18 billion) in humanitarian aid to Syria, said Neue Osnabrücker Zeitung on Monday, ahead of a donor conference in Brussels designed to expand humanitarian efforts towards war-torn countries as well as refugee-receiving countries.

According to Neue Osnabrücker Zeitung, the German Federal Government, which guaranteed 1.6 billion euros at last year’s conference, plans to provide the same amount this year as well.

The article also stated that the German Foreign Ministry plans to continue to lend a helping hand to the Syrian civil defense group White Helmets. Last year, the country contributed 5.1 million euros to the group and intends to continue with the same amount this year. Referring to the minister’s statement, the article states that the contribution to the group has been spent according to predetermined objectives agreed during regular negotiations and close coordination with the group. The ministry stated that the group had used the previous contributions according to their goals.

After 10 years of war in Syria, the international community will be asked to raise billions of dollars in new aid pledges on Monday. to fund humanitarian causes. The 5th Brussels Conference on Syria will be held via video link due to coronavirus prevention measures, but the needs of Syrian refugees and vulnerable civilians are increasingly pressing.

Promises had already come down before the Corona virus pandemic was mainly due to donor fatigue. Officials fear that with the global economic slump sparked by the pandemic, international aid to Syria will take a new hit at the exact moment it is needed most. Across Syria, the pandemic has exacerbated the worst economic crisis since the conflict began in 2011. Local currencies have fallen and food prices have soared – up 222% from last year. Nine out of 10 people live below the poverty line and in northwest Syria, nearly three-quarters of the 4.3 million population are food insecure. According to the United Nations, 13.4 million people in Syria, more than half of the country’s pre-war population, need help. That’s an increase of 20% from last year. More than 50 countries will be represented at the conference, along with 30 other organizations, including non-governmental organizations (NGOs), humanitarian agencies and international financial institutions.

Meanwhile, the head of Germany’s Catholic Caritas branch, Peter Neher, has asked for help for war-torn Syria to include support for reconstruction projects in regime-held areas.

Neher described the humanitarian situation in the country as “catastrophic,” and said the previous focus on emergency assistance should be abandoned, in comments to the Deutsche Presse-Agentur (dpa) ahead of the Syrian donor conference.

“We have to allow targeted reconstruction measures, even in areas under regime control,” he said.

The European Union has so far rejected such assistance in areas controlled by the Assad regime because it does not want to support his government. This approach is only ready if there is real progress towards a political solution.

However, Neher pointed to the country’s devastated infrastructure and noted that around 2.5 million children are not attending school.

“We want to help people so they can get another roof,” he said. “We want to rebuild kindergartens, schools and health facilities.”

Targeted measures could improve people’s lives “without this being seen as a carte blanche for the regime,” added Neher.

Poverty is rising in Syria due to the 10-year civil war and the recent economic crisis.

According to UN figures, 12.4 million people – nearly 60% of the population – suffer from hunger. The number of people unable to survive without food has more than doubled this year.

.



image source

Australia ends defense cooperation with Myanmar over coup | World | Instant News


By ROD McGUIRK Associated Press

CANBERRA, Australia (AP) – Australia has suspended its defense cooperation with Myanmar and diverted humanitarian aid due to the government’s takeover by the military and the ongoing detention of an Australian citizen.

Foreign Minister Marise Payne said Monday that Australian diplomats and relatives have only been able to contact economic policy adviser Sean Turnell twice by phone since he was detained in early February. He described the access as “very limited consular support”.

“We believe Professor Turnell has been arbitrarily detained along with senior members of the Myanmar government including State Counselor Aung San Suu Kyi, including the President,” Win Myint, Payne told reporters.

“We do not accept the conditions of his detention and the reasons for his detention. We are trying to return to democracy. We are committed to an end to any armed violence against unarmed civilians who protest peacefully. And in everything we do, we seek Professor Turnell’s release, “he added.

Australia late Sunday announced it was suspending a defense training program with Myanmar worth an estimated 1.5 million Australian dollars ($ 1.2 million) for five years. The program has been limited to non-combat areas such as English language training.

Australian humanitarian aid will be directed away from the Myanmar government and government-related entities. Instead, it will focus on the immediate humanitarian needs of the most vulnerable and poor in Myanmar including the Rohingya and other ethnic minorities, Payne said.

.



image source

Australia ends defense cooperation with Myanmar over coup | World | Instant News


By ROD McGUIRK Associated Press

CANBERRA, Australia (AP) – Australia has suspended its defense cooperation with Myanmar and diverted humanitarian aid due to the government’s takeover by the military and the ongoing detention of an Australian citizen.

Foreign Minister Marise Payne said Monday that Australian diplomats and relatives have only been able to contact economic policy adviser Sean Turnell twice by phone since he was detained in early February. He described the access as “very limited consular support”.

“We believe Professor Turnell has been arbitrarily detained along with senior members of the Myanmar government including State Counselor Aung San Suu Kyi, including the President,” Win Myint, Payne told reporters.

“We do not accept the conditions of his detention and the reasons for his detention. We are trying to return to democracy. We are committed to an end to any armed violence against unarmed civilians who protest peacefully. And in everything we do, we seek Professor Turnell’s release, “he added.

Australia late Sunday announced it was suspending a defense training program with Myanmar worth an estimated 1.5 million Australian dollars ($ 1.2 million) for five years. The program has been limited to non-combat areas such as English language training.

Australian humanitarian aid will be directed away from the Myanmar government and government-related entities. Instead, it will focus on the immediate humanitarian needs of the most vulnerable and poor in Myanmar including the Rohingya and other ethnic minorities, Payne said.

.



image source

Australia ends defense cooperation with Myanmar over coup | World | Instant News


By ROD McGUIRK Associated Press

CANBERRA, Australia (AP) – Australia has suspended its defense cooperation with Myanmar and diverted humanitarian aid due to the government’s takeover by the military and the ongoing detention of an Australian citizen.

Foreign Minister Marise Payne said on Monday that Australian diplomats had only had access to economic policy adviser Sean Turnell twice since he was detained in early February. He described the access as “very limited consular support”.

“We continue to call for Professor Sean Turnell’s release,” Payne told Australian Broadcasting Corp.

Australia late Sunday announced it was suspending a defense training program with Myanmar worth an estimated 1.5 million Australian dollars ($ 1.2 million) for five years. The program has been limited to non-combat areas such as English language training.

Australian humanitarian aid will be directed away from the Myanmar government and government-related entities. Instead, it will focus on the immediate humanitarian needs of the most vulnerable and poor in Myanmar including the Rohingya and other ethnic minorities, Payne said.

Australia has previously imposed sanctions including an arms embargo and sanctions targeting multiple individuals. These sanctions will continue to be reviewed, Payne said.

Turnell was detained within weeks of arriving in Myanmar’s largest city, Yangon, from Australia to take a job as a government adviser to Aung San Suu Kyi.

.



image source

WFP: Security protocols, leak focus of Congo investigation | Territory | Instant News


ROME (AP) – A UN investigation into an attack on a humanitarian convoy in Congo that killed the Italian ambassador, bodyguards and driver will investigate whether the mission’s long-planned security protocols were followed and whether information may have been leaked to unidentified gunmen. involved in the ambush.

World Food Program deputy director of communications, Greg Barrow, told an online briefing Friday that a February 22 mission to bring Ambassador Luca Attanasio to the WFP school feeding program in eastern Congo has been in the works since 2020.

Previous planning and security meetings and security briefings lasted until a seven-member team took off from Goma, in eastern Congo, in a two-car convoy bound for the program in Rutshuru, he said.

“Very careful planning is carried out ahead of this visit,” he said.

Attanasio, his security guard, paramilitary officer Carabiniere Vittorio Iacovacci, and Congolese WFP driver Moustapha Milambo died Monday when an armed group stopped them and ordered them to get out of their car. Milambo died instantly, and Attanasio and Iacovacci were shot dead in the crossfire after a nearby ranger patrol arrived on the scene.

There has been no claim of responsibility for the attack. Several armed groups are active in the area.

Italy has officially asked the United Nations to investigate what happened amid questions about whether UN security arrangements were sufficient for the mission. The UN says the road has been declared “green” by the United Nations and is allowed to travel without security escorts or armored vehicles.

The WFP said it was cooperating with the Italy, Congo and UN investigations.

Barrow said the UN investigation would examine preparatory meetings leading up to the mission itself and whether security protocols were being followed.

“The main focus of a fact-finding mission will be on what security protocols are carried out, how they are followed and what steps are taken to minimize any kind of risk to anyone on this mission,” he said. “And that will include any access to prior or contemporary information about the trip.”

He said that while the attack prompted an automated security review, WFP had no plans to transform its humanitarian efforts in Congo. It was not immediately clear why Attanasio was examining the food program because Italy did not fund it.

One of the survivors of the ambush, WFP deputy state director Rocco Leone, said it was the duty of the four surviving members of the mission to establish the truth about what happened.

“I believe that I speak for everyone saying that I look forward to seeing the facts behind this tragic incident come to light soon, and that the perpetrators of this heinous attack can be brought to justice,” Leone said in a statement read by Barrow. . “It is important that humanitarian operations can continue unhindered in order to save and transform the lives of the many needy people we serve here.”

Copyright 2021 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.

.



image source