Tag Archives: Illinois

ISU woman plays the first MVC game at the renovated Hulman Center | Indiana State Sports | Instant News


With the new Missouri Valley Conference back-to-back format for women’s basketball – two games against the same opponent at the same location over two days – the team learned that it was almost obligatory to get at least a split to stay close to the league standings stop.

That said, the State of Illinois opened its MVC season with two defeats in Northern Iowa last weekend. So the Redbirds will do their best to avoid the 0-4 conference start when they come to the renovated Hulman Center on Thursday and Friday for the 6pm contest.

As usual, due to the COVID-19 issue, no fans were allowed into the facility.

Indiana State (4-3 overall) split at Loyola last weekend – winning 63-48 and losing 59-52 – so the Sycamores are one game behind co-frontrunners MVC UNI and Southern Illinois. But 16 matches, including an upcoming pair against the State of Illinois, remain on their regular season schedule.

Indiana State coach Vicki Hall, who gained a wealth of consecutive playing experience during his early 2000s WNBA career, left Chicago on Saturday with mixed feelings about his team’s performance against Loyola. Following the defeat in Game 2 to the Ramblers, he used personal experience to emphasize the importance of mental toughness to his players.

“Every game in the Valley is important,” Hall said after Wednesday’s training at the Hulman Center. “They are important because there are no ‘given’ games. Every team is good. We have to make sure we are ready and ready to go at any time.”

Hall said Sycamores’ focus in training this week was on execution – offensively and defensively.

“That’s what we do,” he told the Tribune-Star. “So hopefully you’ll see a much better result against the State of Illinois.”

One player trending in the right direction is Adrian Folks, who averaged 6.0 points over Sycamores’ first five non-conference games.

Coming off the bench twice against Loyola, however, the 6-foot-high second-tier striker led Indiana State in scoring with 14 and 11 points, respectively. In that defeat, he went 5 for 5 off the field and grabbed the team’s six highest rebounds.

“I just prepared myself better mentally,” explained the crowd Wednesday. “I gained confidence and accepted my role in this team.”

Although he has only started one of Sycamores’ seven games, he is third in the team in minutes played per match (23.9).

Did the weekend show Folks get him a thing or two earlier this week?

Hall did not say one way or another on Wednesday, adding: “For me, it doesn’t matter who starts the game. What matters is who finishes it.”

After all, people weren’t worried about that. He will leave the lineup decisions to Hall and he will only play as hard as he can when given the opportunity.

“Adrian has always had a knack for scoring goals and he’s getting more and more comfortable with the things we do,” Hall pointed out. “So the more comfortable he is, the more he looks.”

If Guys take more chances against Redbirds – and don’t bet against them – he’s pored over many game films this week to see what to expect from them.

“They put up a nice screen,” said Folks. “They are a straight-line moving team, so we have to make sure that we deny their reversal.”

“They’re a good team,” said Hall. “They arrested JuJu [Juliunn] Redmond, who did a great job scoring the goals individually. “

Redmond, the 5-11 senior guard, trailed the Redbirds by averaging 13.0 points and 5.6 rebounds per outing. In scoring, he is followed by 5-8 second-class guard Mary Crompton and 5-8 junior guard Terrion Moore, each at 11.6 ppg. The State of Illinois is trained by Kristen Gillespie.

Lost in the chaos, perhaps, is that these will be the first two conference games in the State of Indiana inside the renovated Hulman Center.

.



image source

Winter storm remains on track to create dangerous travel conditions this week | Instant News



ROCKFORD, Ill. (WIFR) – We’ve had little more than tiny tastes of winter so far, the brief flurries of snow on Sunday night, but another example. Overall, temperatures have remained mild and snow is hard to find. To date, the Rockford metro has seen less than three inches of snow, and we have a snow deficit of over nine inches. However, there are growing indications that we will be reducing the deficit as a dynamic storm system targets the region from the end of the day on Tuesday. At this early stage, the storm doesn’t look likely to be a successful snowmaker here, although the likelihood is quite high that shovels will be needed. Here’s what we know about the storm as of Sunday night. All indications continue to suggest that the precipitation will start here Tuesday afternoon and start as snow. Several hours of snow are likely until Tuesday evening, with accumulations appearing to be a very good bet. This is, without a doubt, the most certain part of the forecast table. The impact timing for our next winter weather event will be late Tuesday in the first half of Wednesday. Snow will likely be the first form of precipitation (Mark Henderson, WIFR) As the evening progresses, however, we will start to see a nose of warmer air rising northward. This will likely be enough to melt the snowflakes as they descend into the atmosphere and turn them into raindrops. The problem here is that the temperatures at ground level will likely still be below zero. As a result, the area will likely be affected by a period of freezing rain and snow covered roads will then become icy. This storm will not be a fully snow covered event. Instead, there will be periods of freezing rain, rain and even sleet. (Mark Henderson, WIFR) The big question is how long will this ice age last. Unfortunately, there is no answer to this question yet. Gradually, the warmer surface air will work in our area, and our ground-level temperatures will eventually return to above freezing, thus changing freezing rain to just rain. Just when this happens, that’s the big question. Our current thinking is that this should happen somewhere between 5 a.m. and 9 a.m. Wednesday morning. If that happened sooner, we would have less ice buildup. However, if we stay in the form of freezing rain beyond 9 a.m., the ice accumulations could be quite significant! While we are likely to see several hours of snowfall, the heaviest accumulations will be found over parts of Wisconsin, Minnesota and northern Iowa where there will not be periods of mixed precipitation (Mark Henderson, WIFR) Precipitation is likely to end around noon or shortly after noon Wednesday, and calmer weather is expected to last for at least the next 24 hours. some snow accumulation, maybe a handful of inches in places. In addition, there could be a period of freezing weather, which could have significant impacts on travel. downward, especially given a temperature profile that favors multiple different forms of precipitation. I think it’s safe to say we’ll almost certainly have some sticky snow and there’s a decent to likely chance that there will be a handful of inches. If we stay in the snow longer on Tuesday night, it may be a snowblower system for some, especially north of Rockford. However, it might take longer at this point. What we can say with great certainty is that there will be impacts on travel over a period of several hours. Tuesday evening’s ride appears to be affected by the first snowfall. Accumulations by then are unlikely to be significant, but as we all know too well, it doesn’t take a lot of snow to make our roads slippery. The worst travel time will be Tuesday through Wednesday morning. With accumulations increasing on Tuesday evening and the likely transition to freezing rain ahead, trips could become extremely dangerous after 10 p.m. and likely continue during the morning commute on Wednesday. Eventually, as the precipitation returns to rain on Wednesday morning, travel should start to improve. Current indications indicate that the worst time to travel will be Tuesday night through Wednesday morning. (Mark Henderson, WIFR) Quiet weather will follow the rest of Wednesday, Wednesday. night, and the opening party of New Year’s Eve. There are a few other signs appearing on our medium-range forecast models suggesting another potentially powerful storm rising in the Midwest later on New Years Eve and New Years Day. It’s far too early to sift through the fine details of this potential second storm system, though it’s fair to imagine that it is another system capable of producing hard-hitting winter conditions here or at proximity. Close monitoring of both storms is needed, and we will! Copyright 2020 WIFR. All rights reserved. .



image source

Construction areas to watch during the holidays | New | Instant News


WEST KY – The COVID-19 pandemic is affecting vacation travel this year. AAA predicts that Christmas travel will be down 29%. However, many people will continue to take the road and there are a few construction areas they will need to be aware of.The work zone on Interstate 24 in parts of Lyon, Caldwell and Trigg counties will always be a factor for the next few days. Both eastbound lanes are back open, but a concrete separator on the westbound lanes is still partially in place. The goal is for the concrete separator to be fully lowered by December 23, but Kentucky Transportation Cabinet spokesman Keith Todd said there was a possibility that drivers would still need to sidestep. take care of it during the holidays. “Anyone traveling west on I-24 through this work area to the 51 mile terminal should just be aware that there can be delays, especially during times of lightning travel,” Todd said. Drivers will notice a work zone on Highway 641 entering and exiting Murray. Todd says this area should have minimal impact on drivers. “About the only work activity there will be edging and gutter work, some concrete work that will continue for three to four weeks,” says Todd. One of the work areas that drivers won’t have to worry about is the Cairo Bridge that connects Illinois and Missouri. That bridge reopened on Thursday and Kentucky State Police said they would heavily patrol the roads over the next few weeks. They remind drivers, as always, to buckle up before hitting the road. .



image source

The Trump administration wants to cut food stamps for thousands of seniors, lawmakers say | Instant News


More than 8,000 poor elderly citizens in Illinois and other states are facing “catastrophic” results under the Trump administration’s plan to cut food stamps allowances by January 1, according to lawmakers.

Senator Dick Durbin and other Illinois lawmakers have urged the US Department of Agriculture to extend benefits, which are for poor elderly living in one of 154 supportive living facilities across the state, according to a November 18th letter to USDA secretary Sonny Perdue.

The agency did not immediately reply to a request for comment.

The 20-year-old program helps low-income seniors by allowing their facilities to collect food stamp allowances and buy food on their behalf, with lawmakers noting that this helps disabled and elderly people who cannot go to the grocery store. Facilities in states from Alabama to Tennessee will also be affected, although most living supporting facilities are located in Illinois.

The decision to limit the program to the end of the year will prove problematic on a number of levels, Illinois lawmakers said in their letter to the USDA. “It is unacceptable to leave 8,000 elderly vulnerable especially during the holiday season and in the midst of the worst public health crisis in a century,” they wrote.


Rising American food insecurity

06:48

Durbin and other lawmakers said it “remains unclear why the USDA decided to remove 8,000 individuals from SNAP, as they are clearly eligible to take part in SNAP,” referring to the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, more commonly known as food stamps.

The Trump administration has been involved in efforts for years to cut SNAP. When those efforts began, the US enjoyed a history of low unemployment and a strong economy. But coronavirus pandemic has increased food insecurity and poverty among US households, raising concerns among lawmakers and anti-hunger supporters about the Trump administration’s ongoing plans to cut nutritional aid.

A cut of Trump’s food stamp

In October, the judge blocked The Trump administration’s efforts to make it harder for some adults to accept food stamps, condemns the plan for failing to consider how the rules will impact hundreds of thousands of Americans during the pandemic.

The effort would cut benefits for some 700,000 adults aged 18 to 49 who do not have a disability or dependents, such as children or adult family members with disabilities.

The USDA’s latest efforts will impact poor individuals entering elderly facilities with the understanding that they will receive food assistance through the program, a Durbin aide told CBS MoneyWatch. Removing that support “could be very problematic,” said the aide. Durbin’s office has not received a response from the USDA regarding her request to continue with the program.

Financial hardship and food insecurity have continued to increase since corona virus the pandemic hit the economy in March. More than half of US families with children remain concerned about the ability to afford food over the next few weeks, according to recent analysis Census data from the Center for Budget and Policy Priorities that tend to be liberal.

Food stamp registrations have ballooned as millions of households have lost their jobs. Food stamp registrations jumped 17%, or nearly 6 million additional recipients, through May, according to an October decision that scrapped Trump’s attempts to cut food stamps for some adults.

.



image source

The Trump administration wants to cut food stamps for thousands of seniors, lawmakers say | Instant News


More than 8,000 poor elderly citizens in Illinois and other states are facing “catastrophic” results under the Trump administration’s plan to cut food stamps allowances by January 1, according to lawmakers.

Senator Dick Durbin and other Illinois lawmakers have urged the US Department of Agriculture to extend benefits, which are for poor elderly living in one of 154 supportive living facilities across the state, according to a November 18th letter to USDA secretary Sonny Perdue.

The agency did not immediately reply to a request for comment.

The 20-year-old program helps low-income seniors by allowing their facilities to collect food stamp allowances and buy food on their behalf, with lawmakers noting that this helps disabled and elderly people who cannot go to the grocery store. Facilities in states from Alabama to Tennessee will also be affected, although most living supporting facilities are located in Illinois.

The decision to limit the program to the end of the year will prove problematic on a number of levels, Illinois lawmakers said in their letter to the USDA. “It is unacceptable to leave 8,000 elderly vulnerable especially during the holiday season and in the midst of the worst public health crisis in a century,” they wrote.


Rising American food insecurity

06:48

Durbin and other lawmakers said it “remains unclear why the USDA decided to remove 8,000 individuals from SNAP, as they are clearly eligible to take part in SNAP,” referring to the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, more commonly known as food stamps.

The Trump administration has been involved in efforts for years to cut SNAP. When those efforts began, the US enjoyed a history of low unemployment and a strong economy. But coronavirus pandemic has increased food insecurity and poverty among US households, raising concerns among lawmakers and anti-hunger supporters about the Trump administration’s ongoing plans to cut nutritional aid.

A cut of Trump’s food stamp

In October, the judge blocked The Trump administration’s efforts to make it harder for some adults to accept food stamps, condemns the plan for failing to consider how the rules will impact hundreds of thousands of Americans during the pandemic.

The effort would cut benefits for some 700,000 adults aged 18 to 49 who do not have a disability or dependents, such as children or adult family members with disabilities.

The USDA’s latest efforts will impact poor individuals entering elderly facilities with the understanding that they will receive food assistance through the program, a Durbin aide told CBS MoneyWatch. Removing that support “could be very problematic,” said the aide. Durbin’s office has not received a response from the USDA regarding her request to continue with the program.

Financial hardship and food insecurity have continued to increase since corona virus the pandemic hit the economy in March. More than half of US families with children remain concerned about the ability to afford food over the next few weeks, according to recent analysis Census data from the Center for Budget and Policy Priorities that tend to be liberal.

Food stamp registrations have ballooned as millions of households have lost their jobs. Food stamp registrations jumped 17%, or nearly 6 million additional recipients, through May, according to an October decision that scrapped Trump’s attempts to cut food stamps for some adults.

.



image source