Tag Archives: infection

Coronavirus Australia live news: Victoria recorded zero cases for the first time since June, raising hopes of a Melbourne reopening | Instant News


More Victorian children are back in class today

Turker Cakal (second from right) with another classmate at Edgar’s Creek Secondary College

Students at Edgar’s Creek Secondary College, in Wollert, in Melbourne’s northern suburbs, are joined by 100,000 other high school students who are returning to class today.

As they flowed through the gate, there was laughter and jokes as the students wore masks.

The excitement is like the first day of semester, when the principal Jo Camozzato welcomes his students.

A boy wears his older brother’s school shoes, after learning that he has overstepped his own shoe size during a lock-up.

“It’s a relief and it’s a pleasure to finally see all of our students. We miss them,” said Ms Comozzato.

“We want to go forward and really get through the rest of the year.”

The school currently only has grades 7-9, and Ms Camozzato said it took the pressure off, as students don’t face senior year exams.

“We have time and it’s not just about this year, it’s also about next year and I feel pretty sure, like many principals, that over time we will be able to fill the learning gaps,” he said. .

“I think it’s very important for us to ensure that they have the opportunity to reconnect with their friends and teachers.

“For me, their well-being is one of the most important things.”

8th grader, Turker Cakal, said he was very happy to be able to meet his teacher and friends again.

“It was very difficult – I couldn’t see my friends and teachers and it was weird for me,” he said.

“It’s weird studying on the computer eight hours a day and I’m glad to be back in hands-on learning.”

He said his parents would also like to see him return to on-site learning.

“They’re fed up with me, I’ve been at home too long,” he laughs.

Reporting and photography by Nicole Asher.

.



image source

Australian Coronavirus News: Prime Minister Scott Morrison expresses ‘deep disappointment’ that Melbourne remains stalled | Instant News


So far there are no new cases for metropolitan Melbourne north

From DHHS:

No additional new cases related to the northern metropolitan outbreak have been found after more than 1,135 test results were returned to the Department of Health and Human Services today.

Victoria Testing and Community Engagement Commander Jeroen Weimar said the test results returned today were negative so far, which is reassuring when taken in addition to the 2,500 results from yesterday.

He said there was a very large response from the public to calls to undergo testing, with more than 13,000 people being tested in Banyule, Darebin, Hume, Moreland and Nillumbik since October 20.

1,400 swabs taken today are already in the lab and testing will continue throughout the night.

“This testing allows us to get a very clear picture of how many cases there are and ensure there is a plan for everyone who tests positive along with close contacts,” he said.

“Sometimes there must be delays as more people arrive, but we really appreciate everyone who puts in the effort, especially during these cooler spring days.”

There are currently 39 cases linked to the outbreak, including cases related to East Preston Islamic College and Croxton Special School. DHHS is continuing to investigate the link between the outbreak and other positive cases in the region.

Mr Weimar said a special pediatric pop up site had also been established to meet very specific needs for the Croxton Special School community.

“People really do receive a call to action which we are so grateful for. We continue to meet with community and business leaders to make sure everyone has the information they need.”

He said the community’s actions demonstrated a real willingness to do whatever was necessary to contain the virus and help manage its transmission.

.



image source

Coronavirus Australia live news: South Australians are allowed to return home when the state opens to New Zealanders | Instant News


Melbourne businesses are nervously waiting to see if they can reopen in the coming week

ABC News

Last Tuesday, Mr. Andrews has signaled that retail and hospitality establishments may open sooner than planned.

But the coronavirus outbreak in the northern suburbs has threatened to delay it, with the Prime Minister saying yesterday Victorians shouldn’t count on the changes made today, as he is waiting for the results of thousands of tests.

Lorraine Puller owns Bayside Shoes at Seaford in southeast Melbourne.

He said his business could not last much longer.

“We need cash flow now, we need it now, we can’t wait any longer, we are going to spend our summer, we miss our winter.”

“Lock certain areas if they have to, but not the whole area. You can’t … this is mental health too, you know your grandchildren are all like that, even footwear, people have, they don’t have shoes and buying online is ridiculous because it doesn’t fit properly. . ”

Owner and chef at Melbourne Reverie’s cafe Pierrick Boyer says hospitality should have reopened in Melbourne a few weeks ago.

He says his business is surviving because of Job Keeper payments but many others don’t reopen.

“It’s not a tough lockdown, don’t get me wrong, but for most businesses when you’re operating at minus 80 percent, minus 90 percent, our stores in the city are closed, zero, so minus 100 percent.

He said it would be difficult to improve quickly.

“If we go from almost no business to returning to normal, it will take time, effort, logistics, to buy products.”

By Justine Longmore

.



image source

Hotel quarantine reviews recommend new options as Australia is open to travelers amid the COVID-19 pandemic | Instant News


Since Australia’s mandatory hotel quarantine system began at the height of the coronavirus pandemic, more than 130,000 travelers have been boarded on buses and transported to their destinations of isolation.

The Federal Government hopes a vaccine will be widely available next year, but there is no guarantee.

That means in the future, Australia will need to introduce some form of quarantine for travelers who are at risk of bringing the virus to the country.

Currently, anyone flying to Australia (except those arriving from New Zealand) must undergo a 14 day hotel quarantine.

But national systems reviews have recommended states and territories to reconsider a one-size-fits-all approach.

Why is there a review about hotel quarantine?

National Cabinet (i.e. Prime Minister, prime minister and prime minister) approved a national review of hotel quarantine arrangements in July.

The nation’s leaders want to see how staff handle infections prevention and control, compliance testing, management confirmed case, and various other factors.

So, how well are hotel quarantines working?

Failures in Victoria’s hotel quarantine system have been widely reported – particularly the decision to use a private security contractor, which is still being scrutinized by a separate state investigation.

Outside of Victoria, the national review (conducted by former health department secretary Jane Halton) described hotel quarantines as a “first line of defense” that “has undoubtedly slowed the passage of COVID-19 through the Australian community”.

The review suggested that the hotel quarantine experience could be better for people who were passing it.(Four Corners)

Between March and August this year, 96,000 international tourists and 34,000 domestic tourists spent 14 days locked up in hotels, ranging from budget to luxury, across the country.

Only 851 people were diagnosed with COVID-19 during their quarantine – less than 1 percent.

What did the review recommend?

Although the review found that hotel quarantines have been largely successful to date, they asked states and territories to consider more sustainable models in the future.

As pressure increases on the government to increase travel to and from Australia, the review finds that current models may not be the best solution:

“These types of repression measures are effective and have saved lives, but the hotel quarantine system is vulnerable to breaches and difficult to break.

“This is also a expensive resource and must be paid handsomely for individual, social and economic welfare. “

It provides some suggestions for alternative models, with some key overarching strategies for adapting the current quarantine model to work in the normal world of COVID. The bottom line:

  • Make the hotel quarantine experience better for the passersby
  • Develop different options for travelers based on risk assessment
  • Exclude people arriving from very low risk areas from the need for quarantine
  • Consider a national quarantine facility to provide surge capacity

Home quarantine, shorter timeframes, and monitoring devices are all on the card

This review suggests its use a mix of hotel and home quarantine as well as exceptions for travelers arriving from “low risk” locations (such as those that have been imposed for New Zealanders) to free up capacity.

Other recommended options are included reduce the quarantine period to seven days as well as use applications and “wearable monitoring devices”.

It’s still unclear how this proposal will work in practice, but Prime Minister Scott Morrison said Friday he wanted experts to work on “innovative” solutions.

Other forms of quarantine such as “on the farm, at a mining camp or on campus” will also be piloted in preparation for reopening Australia to international students and other migrations “on the way to come”.

Load…

.



image source

The massive increase in coronavirus infections in Germany | Instant News


Germany’s federal and state government coronavirus policies have set the stage for a catastrophic development, threatening the lives and health of millions. According to figures from Johns Hopkins University, new coronavirus infections in Germany yesterday hit a new record of more than 12,500, with the death toll rising by 40 to 10,084. Across Europe, the total number of new coronavirus infections stands at nearly 8 million.

This virus is spreading faster and faster throughout the world. Since January, more than 380,000 people in Germany have been infected with COVID-19, more than one in ten of them in the last seven days. According to a current Robert Koch Institute (RKI) management report, this applies to nearly every state – in Bremen, Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania and Hesse, nearly one in five of the total cases developed last week.

The fact that many politicians and federal officials have tested positive in recent days also sheds light on the dynamics of the pandemic. Apart from Federal Health Minister Jens Spahn, who yesterday underwent domestic quarantine with “flu symptoms,” the entire leadership of the Federal Office for Constitutional Protection (as the secret service is known) was affected. Minister of Labor Hubertus Heil and Federal President Frank-Walter Steinmeier are in quarantine because of contact with an infected person. There have been a total of 37 cases of infection among members and employees of the Bundestag (federal parliament) since March.

When the pandemic spread rapidly for the first time in the spring, due to the inaction of European governments, there was a dramatic scene in much of Europe. In the Bergamo region of northern Italy, for example, the military must enter at night to remove coffins that regional crematoriums can no longer bury even though they are operating around the clock. In Spain, bodies have to be kept temporarily in the Olympic ice sports arena, while hospitals – similar to those in France and other countries – are increasingly developing into clusters of infections because nursing staff are not provided with adequate protection.

Across Europe, the pandemic has claimed more than 247,000 lives – the number of lives lost more than anything else on the continent since World War Two. Now, mass death is threatened on a scale that would surpass previous catastrophes if no drastic action is taken to contain the virus.

Hans Kluge, World Health Organization (WHO) Regional Director for Europe, said at a press conference on Thursday that COVID-19 is currently “the fifth cause of death and the point of 1,000 deaths per day has now been exceeded.” In Belgium, infected nurses have been forced to return to work because otherwise health care will collapse.

The same “work to death” policies are increasingly being applied by the authorities to people in non-essential industries and businesses that should have closed long ago. For example, workers at the Weidemark slaughterhouse in Sögel, Lower Saxony, were sent back to work this week, even though at least 112 of their colleagues have contracted the coronavirus in unfiltered, cold, circulating factory air. In contrast, the district authorities ordered the so-called “work quarantine” so as not to further reduce “slaughtering capacity.” The theory is that workers “only move between work and home” and are otherwise “isolated”. In other words, workers live only to produce surplus value.

Carola Reimann (Social Democratic Party, SPD), Minister for Social Affairs of Lower Saxony, spoke of a “good solution” that would “protect against infection” and “solve the serious problem of farmers.” Regional spokesmen for the German Workers ‘Union Federation (DGB) and the Food and Catering Workers’ Union (NGG) stated that there was “no legal basis” for ending these slave owner policies.

The RKI status report makes an urgent call for “the entire population to commit to infection control,” without mentioning the government’s policy of opening up the economy. According to the Institute, “cluster cases” and “outbreaks” are observed mainly “in nursing homes and nursing homes” and “in enterprises.”

The report documented a sharp increase in the proportion of elderly people among newly infected people since early September. In the “70 years or older” age group, there has been a 75 percent increase in the number of new infections in the past two weeks, from 2,032 to 3,521. In mid-August – following the reopening of schools – two-thirds of new infections were still under 40 years of age.

Despite these deadly dangers for the 700,000 people over 70 who are in nursing homes across Germany, the federal and state governments “recent decisions to fight the coronavirus pandemic” state that “their respective regulations must not lead to social isolation. fully. of those who are affected. “It must” always be taken into account. “

The media propaganda that young people and other “irresponsible” private individuals are responsible for the new pandemic’s swelling has now been strikingly refuted by empirical surveys.

For example, a recent youth study conducted by the Berlin Center for Social Science Research (WZB) and the TUI Foundation revealed that 52 percent of those surveyed thought current protective measures were appropriate, and 23 percent thought they were “insufficient. “According to a survey conducted by opinion research institute YouGov, 83 percent of young people also adhere to the measures and do so primarily to” protect others “and to” protect their own health “—not too much of the possible punishment for neglecting them.

These are “numbers similar to what we know from the adult survey,” WZB analyst Marcus Spittler noted on Thursday on broadcaster ZDF’s. Morning magazine .

The results of the study again make it clear that the main cause of the dramatic increase in infection is not the personal behavior of young people and workers, but the opening of businesses and schools. This is an international phenomenon and affects all age groups. As Michael Wagner, Professor of Microbiology in Vienna and Aalborg (Denmark) explained on Twitter: “SARS-CoV-2 infection is now occurring in most primary schools in Malmö.”

On Wednesday, an administrative court in Neustadt / Weinstraße rejected an urgent order being sought for an asthma boarding school student from Kaiserslautern and stated that the boy had no right to be exempted from attending classes and studying remotely due to the coronavirus pandemic. A “certain risk of infection with the novel coronavirus” is currently “part of the general life risk for the entire population,” the court said, referring to the “Federal Constitutional Court case law.”

With a 7 day incidence of more than 120 cases per 100,000 population, there are now 15 districts in the worst affected areas, including, as before, the Berchtesgadener district, the municipal districts of Delmenhorst, Berlin Neukölln and Mitte and the Sankt Wendel district. But as weekly news Glass reports, even the disagreeable figures for these districts could be far below the true case figures.

According to the news magazine, the RKI “in many cases mentions the pandemic center number … incorrectly”. “At least 30 percent of all 7-day incidents published by the Institute between August 31 and October 12 are incomplete and therefore untrue. At least one day of data is completely lost. “

In doing so, the Institute provides “a distorted picture of the infection situation in Germany.” Sometimes, according to the RKI, a place “bobs below a 50 mark for weeks, even though the reality is long gone”. For example, on October 8, the RKI reported an incident in the district of Cloppenburg in which “nearly three-quarters of infections disappeared”.

Based on Glass, the 7-day incidence averages “ten percent too low” nationwide – a frightening difference as each case is a multiplier of the exponential spread of the pandemic. In Hamburg the figure is always 25 percent too low, in Saxony 19 percent too low. Under these conditions, comparisons of districts across state borders were “nearly impossible,” concluded Glass. In other words, it is impossible to determine in time whether a district develops into a European hotspot.

As stated by the RKI itself, the reported mortality rate is currently very low, although these figures also indicate the beginning of an exponentially increasing trend. The RKI report cites “reasons” for current patterns of death, the still low average age of those infected, on the one hand, and the government’s “broad testing strategy”, which “increasingly includes mild cases as well.”

Susanne Johna, chair of the Marburger Bund medical association, noted Maybrit Illner The talk show that during the so-called “stay away from home ban” – which Chancellor Angela Merkel and the state prime minister are fighting over in negotiations lasting several hours – people are being tested who have no symptoms. In this way, the test is “wasted what we need elsewhere”. This means that the number of official infections is also increasing less than the true infection rate because testing resources have not been expanded sufficiently.

.



image source