Food Bank announces food distribution locations
The following food distribution locations were recently announced by the Food Bank of Northern Indiana:
• 10am to noon today, Concord Mall, 3701 S. Main St., Elkhart (by Carson Pirie Scott)
• Tuesday 10am to noon, St. Missionary Baptist Church. Great John, 101 N. Adams St., South Bend. Sponsored by the Saint Joseph Health System and will serve up to 300 households.
• 10:00 am to noon Wednesday, Kosciusko County Fairgrounds, 1400 E. Smith St. (front parking lot), Warsaw
For more information, visit feedindiana.org.
The Pucker Up package is now available
GOSHEN – Officials with the Elkhart County 4-H Fair recently announced the Pucker Up Package is now available.
The package includes two admission tickets to the 2021 show, two regular lemon shake-ups from the Elkhart County 4-H Lamb Club at the 2021 show, two souvenir cups and one “I brake for corndog” bumper sticker.
Packages can be ordered on the exhibition website at www.4hfair.org/LemonShakeUp $ 24 each.
The proceeds from this product directly support the Elkhart County 4-H Lamb Club and the Elkhart County 4-H Fairgrounds.
A safety tip is offered to deer hunters
With statewide archery season starting Thursday, Indiana Conservation Officer offers safety tips to help keep Hoosier deer hunters safe.
Deer hunting season runs through January 31, and it is estimated that more than 300,000 people will participate in some form of deer hunting in Indiana during that time, Department of Natural Resources officials said in a news release.
Hunters should read and understand the stand manufacturer’s instructions, and inspect tree stands and equipment for wear, fatigue, and cracks or loose nuts / bolts, with great attention to parts made of materials other than metal.
Exercises must be performed at ground level, and hunters must learn how to properly wear full-body seat belts, the DNR news release states.
Officers offer the following tips for hunters:
• Wear a full body harness.
• Use tree support harnesses.
• Make sure to attach your harness to the tree before leaving the ground, and that it stays on the tree until you return to the ground.
• Maintain three points of contact during ascent and descent.
• Use boots with non-slip soles to avoid slipping.
• Use the transport lines to raise and lower firearms, bows, and other hunting equipment.
• Ensure certain firearms are lowered, open precautions and safety before attaching the transport straps.
Additional safety tips include bringing emergency equipment, such as cell phones and flashlights; make plans before hunting; tell someone your plans, including where you will hunt and when you plan to return and stick to those plans; identify the game before aiming the firearm; and know your target audience and what’s beyond it.
For more information, see hunting.IN.gov.
Railroad closures announced in Goshen
GOSHEN – Norfolk Southern officials announced that they will close railroad crossings on North Cottage Avenue and East Monroe Street today until October 7.
The two crossings may not close at the same time, but Norfolk Southern has not set an exact date or time frame for when each crossing will be worked.
To view closure maps or for more information, visit http://goshenindiana.org/blog/railroad-crossing-closures/.