Tag Archives: Judicial Process / Court Case / Court Decision

Brazilian judge approved Odebrecht’s bankruptcy restructuring plan | Instant News


SAO PAULO, July 27 (Reuters) – A Brazilian judge on Monday approved a bankruptcy restructuring plan for Odebrecht, a hit construction conglomerate that was the main equipment of a widespread corruption investigation known as “Car Wash Operation.”

The judge, in a decision seen by Reuters, approved the plan and rejected objections from creditors, including the state bank of BNDES, Itaú Unibanco, Banco Bradesco, Santander Brasil and Banco do Brasil.

Creditors in April approved a restructuring plan for most of the subsidiaries that formed Odebrecht. (Reporting by Aluisio Alves; Editing by Leslie Adler)

.



image source

Australian regulators sue Google for the use of extended personal data | Instant News


PHOTO FILE: The Google logo printed in 3D is seen in this illustration taken on April 12, 2020. REUTERS / Dado Ruvic / File Photo

(Reuters) – Australian competition regulators have launched litigation against Google Alphabet for allegedly misleading consumers about expanding the use of personal data for targeted advertisements.

The case by the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) in the Federal Court said that Google did not explicitly obtain approval or properly inform consumers about the 2016 step to combine personal information in Google accounts with activities on non-Google websites that use the technology.

The regulator said this practice allows the Alphabet Inc. unit to link names and other ways to identify consumers with their behavior elsewhere on the internet.

Google did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

The ACCC step comes amid increasing concern in most parts of the world about data privacy. US and European lawmakers have recently increased their focus on how technology companies treat user data because of privacy concerns.

“We took this action because we considered Google to mislead Australian consumers about what they planned to do with a large amount of their personal information, including internet activity on websites not linked to Google,” ACCC Chair Rod Sims said in a statement.

Regulators accuse Google of using aggregate data to increase targeted advertising – the main source of income – and that does not explain to consumers about changes in privacy policies.

The regulator did not say what the court wanted to do, adding that they had filed claims on the basis of “a secret suspended by Google.”

Reporting by Nikhil Kurian Nainan in Bengaluru; Editing by Shri Navaratnam

.



image source

The Swiss Attorney General offered to quit after the court closed the FIFA meeting | Instant News


ZURICH (Reuters) – Swiss Attorney General Michael Lauber offered to resign on Friday after the court concluded that he covered a meeting with FIFA chief Gianni Infantino and lied to supervisors while his office investigated corruption around the soccer governing body.

FILE PHOTO: Swiss Attorney General Michael Lauber arrived for interrogation by the Swiss Parliamentary Judicial Committee as part of a process that could lead to his impeachment, after criticism of the handling of investigations into alleged corruption around the FIFA soccer body, in Bern, Switzerland, May 20, 2020. REUTERS / Arnd Wiegmann

The 54-year-old, who has been the most senior state lawyer in Switzerland since 2012, denies lying but offers to resign to protect the reputation of his institution.

“If they (the court) don’t believe me as the attorney general, then the Attorney General’s Office will be harmed,” he said in a statement.

Lauber has remained steadfast in his work despite suppressing reports from government monitors and calling to quit activists due to slow progress in corruption cases ranging from Petrobras Brazil to 1MDB state funds.

Narrowly re-elected last year, he also faced a parliamentary impeachment process, while the special prosecutor was reviewing criminal complaints against him.

“For a long time, Lauber had to leave, he had systematically destroyed the institution of the Attorney General’s office,” said Mark Pieth, a law professor who is the most famous corruption fighter in Switzerland.

“Although FIFA is very interesting, things that are very serious for Switzerland as a financial center are cases like 1MDB and Petrobras … Very embarrassing, it took a long time for him to leave.”

THREE MEETINGS WITH INFANTINO

The final straw for Lauber came on Friday when the Federal Administrative Court said he committed several breaches of duty, lied to investigators and made “unreasonable” statements about meetings with Infantino, who denied having made a mistake.

Upholding only a portion of his appeal against the sentence of the Supervisory Authority for the Office of the Prosecutor General, the court reduced the sentence deduction in Lauber’s payment.

While Lauber has acknowledged two meetings with Infantino in 2016, he denied the third meeting reported by the media took place in 2017, prompting disciplinary investigations by the agency that oversees the attorney general’s office.

He then said he did not remember the third meeting but that it must have happened based on diary entries and text messages.

FIFA was involved in the worst corruption scandal in its history in 2015 which caused its president Sepp Blatter to be banned from sports while several dozen officials were charged in the United States on corruption-related charges.

A member of the Swiss parliamentary justice committee welcomed Lauber’s decision. “In his position the attorney general must be above suspicion and that would be damaging if he remained,” Ursula Schneider Schuettel told Reuters.

FIFA did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Reporting by John Revill; Editing by Michael Shields

.



image source

UPDATE 2 – Australia Australia is opening a travel bubble for COVID free countries | Instant News


* Seven deaths, 300 new cases in Victoria

* Tasmania is open to tourists WA, SA, NT starting next month

* NSW tightens social distance restrictions

* Class action submitted against Ruby Princess Carnival (Recast with details about Tasmania’s travel bubble; adding points)

By Melanie Burton

MELBOURNE, July 24 (Reuters) – Australia’s southern island state of Australia next month will begin receiving tourists from other regions of the country who have seen a significant period without new cases of coronavirus, state officials said Friday.

Tasmania, which has not recorded cases of community transmission in 77 days, will receive tourists from Western Australia and the state of South Australia, and the Northern Territory – none have recorded community transmission in more than 90 days.

The new policy which began on August 7 includes stricter testing at the airport and travel reviews from other countries including New South Wales and Queensland which will be completed next month.

Tasmanian Prime Minister Peter Gutwein said the trip would not be continued in the short term from the second most populous state in the state of Victoria, which had fought a surge in corona virus cases to more than 7,400 on Friday,

“I can’t see Victoria open to Tasmania anytime soon,” Gutwein said at a media conference.

Australia has so far escaped the high COVID-19 toll in other countries, with more than 13,300 infections and 139 viral deaths on Friday, but the recent increase in the two most populous countries has alarmed officials .

A group of infections in Melbourne, Victoria’s largest city, pushed the government to impose a partial locking for six weeks and make face masks mandatory for its residents or risk being fined A $ 200 ($ 143).

The state will deploy Australian Defense Force personnel to the homes of people who tested positive for the virus but have not yet answered phone calls, to begin the contact tracing process, the prime minister Victoria said on Friday.

“This is about taking the extra step to ensure that we can not only call but we can connect … complete the interview and then begin the process of tracing contacts,” Daniel Andrews told a regular media conference.

“If you knock on the door and you are not found at home … it will almost certainly cause you to be fined.”

The state has recorded seven deaths since Thursday, the highest daily loss for the country since the pandemic began.

At least five of the deaths are related to nursing homes, of which more than 40 have recorded outbreaks. Across the state, 300 new infections were discovered, down from a record 484 on Wednesday.

LIMITATIONS OF TIGHTENS NSW

In the most populous state of New South Wales, restrictions were reinstated on Friday after several groups emerged, including dozens of cases originating from a Thai restaurant. New cases in the state dropped to seven nights, from several days in teens.

Group bookings in restaurants, cafes and clubs will be limited to 10 people and customers in the venue will be limited to 300 people.

Weddings and corporate events will be limited to 150 people with distancing social rules including restrictions on singing, dancing and socializing, while only 100 can attend funerals and places of worship.

The Australian National Cabinet met on Friday and formulated new steps to combat the virus including tougher restrictions on truck drivers who transport goods between countries.

Meanwhile, a law firm said it had filed a class-action lawsuit in an Australian court against Carnival Corp’s Ruby Princess cruise ship accusing it of mismanaging a coronavirus outbreak on board.

Cruise ships are also part of investigative killings in Australia as one of the most deadly sources of viral infections in the country.

“It is not our intention to respond to the class action attorney’s statement,” a Carnival Corp spokesman said in a statement via email. (Reporting by Renju Jose in Sydney and Melanie Burton in Melbourne; Editing by Lincoln Feast.)

.



image source