(MENAFN – Swissinfo) Protecting Swiss glaciers with white tarps reduces melting ice and snow by about 60%, a new study shows. However, this method cannot be applied on a large scale for cost reasons.
This content is published April 2, 2021 – 16:50 April 2, 2021 – 16:50 swissinfo.ch/gw
Only 0.02% of the country’s total glacier area is currently covered in geotextiles, a technique first introduced in the Swiss Alps in 2004 to tackle glaciers that are rapidly melting under rising temperatures. Since then, up to 350,000m3 of glacier ice have been temporarily preserved each year thanks to this tarpaulin, said researchers from the Swiss Federal Institute for Forest, Snow and Landscape Research (WSL).
Their study, conducted in conjunction with Zurich’s ETH federal institute of technology and the University of Friborg, revealed that, over the past decade, the average cost of one cubic meter of artificially preserved glacier ice has ranged between CHF 0.60 and CHF7.90 ($ 8.40 ) per year. This, the researchers say, makes tarps an inaccessible solution to shrinking glaciers.
They calculate it will cost CHF1 billion a year to cover all of Switzerland’s glaciers – a measure that will only slow but not stop glacier melt in the long term.
Legal Disclaimer: MENAFN provides information “as is” without warranty of any kind. We are not responsible or liable for the accuracy, content, images, videos, license, completeness, legality or reliability of the information contained in this article. If you have a complaint or copyright issue related to this article, please contact the provider above.
The Sindh High Court (SHC) has dropped a criminal case regarding the alleged kidnapping of a girl from Clifton after it was revealed that she left Pakistan alone and now lives with her mother in England.
The order came on the petition of the Council of Abdullah Ahmed Farooqui, who moved the court against the disappearance of his daughter from the Dolmen Mall area on February 19. Investigating officers from the Boat Basin police station filed a progress report, which according to the report, police found that the girl was seen entering a shopping mall in her school uniform and then being taken in a white jeep to Karachi airport on the same day.
The IO said the girl had flown abroad on February 19 on a temporary passport issued by the Deputy of the British High Commission on February 10. The officer said that the applicant had four daughters, including the girl, with his first wife, who had lived in England after the couple’s divorce.
The petitioner had informed the police that the girl would reach adulthood on March 1, and that she had been in contact with her mother for two or three months. He suspected that he had flown to England without any permission or gesture.
After going through the IO report, the chair of the SHC division headed by Judge Mohammad Karim Khan Agha said the girl was no longer missing, apparently living in England with her biological mother of her own accord and is 18 years old. The bench said that since the girl was no longer a missing person and she had not been kidnapped, the registered FIR at the Boat Basin police station was hereby canceled.
In another case of alleged enforced disappearance, the court took exception to the police for not being able to collect financial details of a man who had been missing for more than four years.
Hearing Syamim Ara’s petition against the alleged enforced disappearance of Syed Arif Hussain, who has been missing since January 22, 2017, the judge said that even though the person was missing for more than four years, the police were still unable to investigate the latter. his bank account activity.
The court said the response submitted by the police was completely unacceptable as it clearly indicated that the Sindh police chief might not even bother reading the report before signing it.
The court also said that a police officer of high rank and experience should realize that it is not a difficult task to collect account details of a missing person and examine his latest activity in four years.
The panel ordered the IGP to appear in person and explain why such a report, which could at best be taken for granted, was signed by it and filed in court. The bench also ordered the National Police Chief to deliver a detailed report, including progress made and actions taken to recover the missing.
The court also took exception to non-compliance with a court order by the Interior Ministry regarding the submission of reports from the internment center in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa. The judge said that it appeared the interior secretary was least interested in complying with court orders even though the federal government expressed great concern over missing persons.
The court ordered the interior ministry to submit a list of people held in detention centers, saying that if the documents were not filed, the interior secretary had to appear in person so that a suitable order could be issued against him.
Kayleigh and Chevaunne Roffe are in uncertainty and unable to find work, volunteer or study without paying international fees due to long application records at Immigration NZ. Photo / Brett Phibbs
Their friends started their adult lives – enrolling in tertiary studies, getting jobs, volunteering in their communities.
But Chevaunne and Kayleigh Roffe say they can’t do any of that.
The lives of the Teluk Mairangi sisters are in uncertainty due to 19 months of delay in processing their residence visa applications.
“It’s quite sad,” said Chevaunne Roffe, 18 years old Herald on Sundays.
“We’ve been here six years. I’ve graduated high school here, I should be allowed into university. I have to join my friends starting their lives, but I can’t.”
Chevaunne and Kayleigh, 21, also face an even more daunting prospect – leaving New Zealand without their parents Leilah and Glenn Roffe if their visitor visas expire before residence permits are granted.
Kayleigh’s expires in August, while efforts are being made to extend Chevaunne’s.
And the family says they are not alone – a post about their plight on the Migrants NZ Facebook page drew dozens of similar responses.
As of March 9, Immigration New Zealand had 1,595 skilled land and residence migrants from work applications pending allocation to immigration officers, general manager of border and visa operations Nicola Hogg said, blaming the increased demand and disruption of Covid-19 for delays.
“Non-priority land applications are currently allocated from August 2019, while priority applications are allocated within two weeks.”
Chevaunne and Kayleigh use visitor visas after the student visa attached to their father’s original skilled migrant visa expires when they finish high school.
Her family moved to New Zealand after Glenn Roffe was granted a skilled migrant work visa in 2014.
But the Government’s changes to 2016 criteria meant he could not apply for residency, then permanent residence and finally citizenship, Roffe said.
“I will have the black book [New Zealand passport] at the end of this year if [the criteria] do not change. “
She was able to remain as a partner when Leilah Roffe accepted the road to a residence visa.
In November last year, entire families were eligible to apply for residency visas via the Leilah route to residence visas.
Hogg said he couldn’t talk about the Roffe family’s situation, as they didn’t grant privacy waivers.
But currently 90 percent of skilled migrant category visas are completed within 23 months, while residence applications take longer to process – which can be tricky because it allows people to live in New Zealand permanently, Hogg said.
Requests for visas in the skilled migrant category and the sub-category of residence from work have increased significantly in recent years, delaying the decision.
Last month, Immigration NZ formalized the priority allocation of several categories of skilled migrants and places of residence from job applications to high-paying applicants where their jobs must be registered under the immigration allocation, he said.
This allows government departments to start allocating older non-priority applications more consistently.
The NZ Immigration Office was also closed during last year’s commemorative level 4 lockdown and, due to paper-based skilled housing applications, staff were unable to process it.
At level 2, less staff could be on site, while changes to August and February alert levels also impact processing times, Hogg said.
But Glenn Roffe said blaming Covid-19 was a smokescreen.
“August 2019 applications are only now allocated to caseworkers … that’s seven months before Covid hits.”
Her children, and others in the same position, suffered.
Apart from being unable to work, her daughter is not eligible for state-subsidized medical care and education – unless they pay international student fees in excess of $ 30,000.
“My oldest son has a new bed, and has been sitting on it for three years.”
He keeps his spirits up by going to the gym and meeting friends – “when they’re not working or studying,” says Kayleigh Roffe.
He also studied to become a hired accountant through college abroad, but prefers to study in person.
And until this year he volunteered at his old school, Rangitoto College, and for Auckland Unlimited and America’s Cup Events, but quit after the family immigration agency said volunteering could jeopardize his residence application because any indication of receiving financial benefits could be seen as a visitor visa violation.
The financial benefits could include study skills that might help land a job later, the family said.
However, Hogg said those on visitor visas can volunteer without affecting their application of residence, as long as they don’t do it for a gain or a reward – which is a payment or any benefit that can be valued in monetary terms, such as board, food. or transportation.
Volunteering gave her “a reason to get out of bed,” and she missed it, says Kayleigh Roffe.
“I have my days where I honestly cry because there’s nothing I can do about it [about our situation]. “
It’s the terrifying prospect of potentially having to leave New Zealand when its visitor visa expires.
She will probably go to England, where she has no family but has a British passport through her mother. He has family in South Africa, where he was born, but “England is safer”.
“[But] I will be alone in a place that I have never lived. “
For Chevaunne, still depending on his parents made him feel like a kid again.
“All your friends say ‘let’s go out for dinner’ and I have to say ‘I have to ask my mom’. I feel like I’m back in the 5th year… I feel like ‘wow, everyone moves on with life and I’m stuck.”
The UK will initiate trials of a drug called HEAL-COVID in a bid to reduce death and re-entry rates in patients previously hospitalized with the new coronavirus.
According to the Clinical Trials Arena report, data compiled by the UK’s Office for National Statistics shows that 29 percent of hospitalized Covid-19 patients are hospitalized again within six months. Meanwhile, more than 12 percent died during the same period.
So, the new trials will help the government find a drug that can reduce deaths and hospital admissions for Covid-19 survivors.
The study was funded by the National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) and the NIHR Cambridge Biomedical Research Center. The trial will be led by the Cambridge University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust and Cambridge University.
This will be done in collaboration with the Liverpool Clinical Trials Center at the University of Liverpool and the Wrexham-based clinical trial technology firm Aparito.
HEAL-COVID (short for Help Reduce the Long-Term Consequences of Covid-19) will test safe drug options already on the market in patients across the UK to find effective treatments, according to an official release.
“After surviving the trauma of being hospitalized with Covid-19, too many patients returned to hospital with new or long-term complications,” said study leader from the University of Cambridge and Addenbrooke Hospital, Dr. Charlotte Summers.
“Unfortunately, many died within a few months of being discharged. This trial is the first of its kind to see what drugs we can use to reduce harm to patients. “
HEAL-COVID will check for people who have just been discharged from the hospital, after being admitted for the first time for Covid-19.
MULTAN: Special Coordinator of the Chief Minister of Hajj Price Control Javed Akhtar on Sunday said that Pakistan Resolution Day brings happiness like Eid among people and should be celebrated with passion and enthusiasm. Speaking with APP, he said that the day brought hope for people to spend their lives in freedom in this country. He urged young people to study the history of freedom to find out how our ancestors sacrificed for freedom. He said youth is the leadership of our future and must recognize the resolution passed on March 23, 1940 and served as the basis for a separate homeland. “Freedom is a great blessing bestowed upon us and we should all be grateful to Allah SWT for this. Kashmiris have fought for freedom for more than 70 years in the face of the brutality of the Indian army. The Indians who Occupied Jammu and Kashmir Illegally (IIOJ & K) will soon gain freedom and live their lives with their own free will. The Almighty has given us a patriotic leader in the form of Imran Khan who strives hard for the prosperity of his people and country, ”he said. Haji Javed Ansari said that youth should appreciate the sacrifices behind freedom and play their effective role in uplifting the country. He also urged the masses to adopt all precautionary measures related to Covid-19 and prayed that Prime Minister Imran Khan and everyone else would test positive for the virus to get well soon. Partly cloudy: The local Met Office predicts partly cloudy weather with possible thunderstorms for the city and surroundings over the next 24 hours. On Sundays, the maximum and minimum temperatures are recorded at 31.3 degrees Celsius and 19.7 degrees Celsius, respectively. Humidity was recorded at 60 percent by 8 a.m. and 56 percent at 5 p.m. The sun will rise at 6:15 a.m. and set at 6:28 p.m. tomorrow.