Tag Archives: Lung disease

Rising Infections Complicate Rules For Travel In New York Area | national | Instant News


Medical staff prepare to administer a COVID-19 swab at a drive-thru test site in Lawrence, NY on Wednesday, October 21, 2020. The rate of COVID-19 infections has risen sufficiently in New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Connecticut to require State residents to quarantine if they travel to New York, but Gov. Andrew Cuomo says New York will not enforce the rules on those residents. FILE – On this Sunday, March 29, 2020, file photo, a sign welcomes motorists in New York, on the border with Connecticut, near Rye Brook, New York The governors of the New York tri-state area have Were left in limbo in late October 2020 when the virus infection rates in Connecticut and New Jersey soared enough to qualify for their own 14-day quarantine requirements. He highlighted a worrying trend in a region that was using the list to distinguish itself from large parts of the country and raised questions about the relevance of keeping it. FILE – In this May 2, 2020 file photo, the Manhattan skyline dominates the skyline as people enjoy the sunny weather while keeping their distance from each other at Liberty State Park in Jersey City, NJ Governors in the New York tri-state area were left to scramble in late October 2020 when viral infection rates in Connecticut and New Jersey soared enough to qualify for their own 14-day quarantine requirements. He highlighted a worrying trend in a region that was using the list to distinguish itself from large parts of the country and raised questions about the relevance of keeping it. By DAVE COLLINS Associated Press HARTFORD, Connecticut (AP) – Rich Collins is trapped in the maze of coronavirus travel restrictions in the Northeast. The Rhode Island firefighter has custody of his 5-year-old daughter every two weekends as part of a deal with his ex-wife, but he can’t take her home as she lives in the north. New York State. I bring my daughter to Rhode Island for her weekend here, and then when she goes back to New York – because Rhode Island is on the New York quarantine list – she can’t go to school. She has to quarantine for 14 days, “said Collins, 36, of Warwick.” It has taken its toll, “he said.” There is no end in sight. I find it ironic that Rhode Island is the only New England state on New York’s list. It is very frustrating. With coronavirus rates rising across the country, more states have qualified for travel restrictions imposed by New York, New Jersey and Connecticut, raising questions about the usefulness of these rules. Only seven states now have rates low enough to avoid the tri-state’s 14-day quarantine warrant. Connecticut and New Jersey recently qualified for their own restrictions due to rising virus rates, dealing a heavy blow to the pride of a region that experienced low virus counts over the summer after suffering from the crisis. Public health officials say restrictions continue to help limit the spread of the virus, but enforcement has been uneven, with the three states all relying on the honor system to ensure travelers self-isolate and c Fill out forms. .



image source

Asia Today: The virus arrives in the previously clean Marshall Islands | Instant News


The Marshall Islands have reported their first cases of the coronavirus after two people flying from Hawaii to a US military base tested positive

The tiny Pacific nation is among the last places in the world to have no reported cases of the virus.

The Office of the Chief Secretary said in a statement that a 35-year-old woman and a 46-year-old man had tested positive this week after flying direct from Honolulu to the base on Kwajalein Atoll.

The office said the two cases were not linked, the two people remained in quarantine, and there was no possibility of community transmission.

The office asked people to remain calm and said all government business and operations would proceed as normal.

Home to some 78,000 people, the Marshall Islands maintain close military and civilian ties with the US under free association ties.

Other developments in the Asia-Pacific region:

– The number of confirmed coronavirus victims in India surpasses 8 million with daily cases dropping to their lowest level this week. The Ministry of Health reported another 49,881 infections in the past 24 hours. The ministry on Thursday also reported 517 additional deaths, bringing the total deaths to 120,527. Life in India is edging back to pre-virus levels with shops, businesses, subways and cinemas reopening. But health experts warn that the Hindu festival season and winter setting could lead to a more localized outbreak.

– Officials in China’s northwestern region of Xinjiang believe they have contained the country’s latest coronavirus outbreak. In all of the 23 newly active cases, people had previously tested positive but were not yet showing symptoms, according to the National Health Commission. Thursday is the second day in parallel with testing showing no spread of the virus. Such developments seem to indicate that new infections have been contained, Wang Xijiang, deputy director of the disease prevention and control center in Kashgar Xinjiang prefecture. More than 4.7 million people in Kashgar have been tested.

– Australia has been trying to prevent new coronavirus cases from reaching its shores by barring most of its population from leaving in the first place. The ban poses a grievous burden on its multicultural population, about half of whom were born overseas or have immigrant parents. Prime Minister Scott Morrison has held Australia’s travel ban as an example to the world of how to avoid the next severe wave of coronavirus spread by infected citizens while traveling for holidays. But with Australia being one of the countries most successful at containing the spread of the virus, some question how long such a ban can be justified.

.



image source

President of Algeria transferred to Germany for treatment | World | Instant News


ALGIERS, Algeria (AP) – Algerian President Abdelmadjid Tebboune was transferred to Germany for specialist medical treatment on Wednesday, a day after his country’s president announced he had been admitted to hospital but did not reveal why.

Several senior officials in the 75-year-old presidential entourage developed symptoms of COVID-19 on Saturday, and the president is being placed in what the government calls “voluntary preventive confinement.” It is clear whether Tebboune’s current hospitalization has anything to do with it.

The move to Germany was made at the request of presidential staff, according to a press release from a presidential press release on national television Wednesday.

The statement announcing the Algerian leader’s hospitalization on Tuesday said his condition was stable. It does not reveal the cause of the illness or say when the hospitalization occurred.

The statement said that although Tebboune was admitted to the special care unit at Algiers on the recommendation of his doctors, “the state of health of the president of the republic … does not cause any concern.”

Copyright 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.

.



image source

Pompeo presents an anti-China roadshow to islands in the Indian Ocean | International | Instant News


MALE, Maldives (AP) – US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Wednesday took the Trump administration’s anti-China campaign to two Indian Ocean island nations deemed particularly at risk because of what American officials have accused Chinese exploitation. In a landmark move, Pompeo announced that the United States would open an embassy in the Maldives for the first time.

Pompeo visited Sri Lanka and the Maldives to pressure the two countries to be alert to potential predatory lending and investment by China. He made the case less than a week before the American election in which President Donald Trump attempted to portray his rival, former Vice President Joe Biden, as weak in China and tied to him.

Even before Pompeo arrived, China had replied to US messages, accusing Washington of oppressing smaller nations. Pompeo, who will also visit Indonesia, is pressing every country to fight China’s growing assertiveness in the Indo-Pacific.

US officials have complained that development and infrastructure projects benefit China more than recipients expected – a statement Pompeo repeated with Sri Lankan Foreign Minister Dinesh Gunawardena. Pompeo said the country could be a “beacon” for freedom and democracy in the region as long as it retains “complete sovereignty.”

“It’s a stark contrast to what China is looking for,” said Pompeo. “The Chinese Communist Party is a predator. The United States exists in a different way. We come as friends and partners.”

President Gotabhaya Rajapaksa told Pompeo he was not prepared to compromise his country’s sovereignty in relation to other countries, the president’s office said.

He defended the Chinese-funded projects, saying Beijing had helped develop the country’s infrastructure and that Sri Lanka was not caught in a “debt trap” as a result, he said.

Gunawardena also appeared unwilling to get involved in a dispute with China, and said Sri Lanka was willing to cooperate with all friendly countries.

“Sri Lanka is a neutral, non-aligned country committed to peace,” he said. “We look forward to continuing our relationship with the United States and with others.”

Earlier this month, Beijing announced that it would provide Sri Lanka with a $ 90 million grant to help with rural development, after Rajapaksa asked for help from a visiting Chinese delegation to deny the perception that a major Chinese-funded project was a “debt trap.”

Likewise, the Maldives, a small island nation in the Indian Ocean known for its luxury tourist resorts, faces huge debt of more than $ 1 billion for Chinese infrastructure projects. President Ibrahim Mohamed Solih has expressed concern about the number.

In response to US concerns about Chinese influence, Pompeo announced that the US would open an embassy in the Maldives for the first time since the two countries established diplomatic relations in 1966.

Cooperation between the US and the Maldives has “acquired new importance as the Chinese Communist Party continues its lawless and threatening behavior,” Pompeo said. He accused China of encroaching on a sovereign economic zone, “polluting the environment” and large-scale illegal fishing. “America is different,” he said. We respect sovereignty.

Maldives Foreign Minister Abdulla Shahid did not name China but said his country needed “more flexibility” in international debt relief and a pressing international consensus on climate change, which he described as an existential threat to its nation. He also said security in the Indo-Pacific depended on strengthening cooperation between the Maldives and the United States.

China views Sri Lanka and, to a lesser extent, the Maldives to be an important link in a major global “Belt and Road” infrastructure development initiative and has provided billions of dollars in loans for projects over the past decade. The projects include seaports, airports, port cities, roads and power plants in Sri Lanka and roads and bridges in the Maldives.

Critics like the US say that the Chinese-funded project is not financially viable, and that Sri Lanka and the Maldives will face difficulties in repaying loans.

In 2017, Sri Lanka leased a Chinese-made port located near a busy shipping route to a Chinese company for 99 years to recover from the heavy burden of repaying Chinese loans the country received to build it.

Responding to Pompeo’s remarks in Sri Lanka, China’s foreign ministry spokesman Wang Wenbin said the foreign minister’s real intention was to “let China fall back into an era of poverty and underdevelopment, and let the world fall into the brink of confrontation and division.”

“This is simply the biggest threat facing the world today. But sadly, Pompeo was born at the wrong time. The trends of peace, development, cooperation and win-win in this era are very interesting, ”Wang told reporters at a daily briefing on Wednesday.

China will “continue to work with Sri Lanka to continue developing strategic cooperation and partnership between the two countries, benefiting both nations and making our own contributions to regional peace and stability,” Wang said.

The tug of war between the US and China counters concerns that the Sri Lankan government is retreating on democratic reforms. Last week, Parliament by overwhelming majority approved constitutional amendments that centralized power under Rajapaksa and reversed the previous government’s efforts to curb authoritarianism.

With this change, Rajapaksa will be able to hold the ministry, as well as appoint and fire ministers. He will also be the designating authority for elections, public service, police, human rights, bribery or corruption investigation commission.

In his meeting with Rajapaska, Pompeo “stressed the importance of strengthening democratic governance, protection of human rights and fundamental freedoms to ensure long-term stability and prosperity,” the State Department said in a statement.

Sri Lanka has been ruled under a strong executive presidential system since 1978, but the reformist government in 2015 cut off most of the president’s powers and handed it over to Parliament and independent commissions, saying successive presidents were more authoritarian.

Pompeo arrived in Sri Lanka late Tuesday from India, where he and Defense Secretary Mark Esper have bolstered the Trump administration’s anti-China message by playing on Indian suspicions about China to shore up a regional front against Beijing in the Indo-Pacific.

Just hours before the meeting in New Delhi began, the Trump administration notified Congress about a planned $ 2.37 billion sale of the Harpoon missile system to Taiwan – the second major arms sale in two weeks to a democratic island that Beijing considers a rebel province. China angrily reacted to the first sale by announcing sanctions on US defense contractors.

Associated Press writer Krishan Francis in Colombo, Sri Lanka, contributed to this report.

Copyright 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.

.



image source

Australia’s second-largest city ended 111 days of virus shutdown | Instant News


MELBOURNE, Australia – Coffee business owner Darren Silverman stopped his van and broke down in tears when he heard on the radio that the Melbourne pandemic would be largely lifted by Wednesday after 111 days.

“The hardships of the journey, when you’ve put 30 years of your life into something suddenly taken with the prospect of not coming back through no fault of your own – I feel like I can be forgiven for stopping and having a bit of a cry to myself,” he said.

According to the Victorian state government, the change in lockdown will allow 6,200 retail shops, 5,800 cafes and restaurants, 1,000 beauty salons and 800 pubs to reopen, impacting 180,000 jobs.

Crowds on city streets – where wearing masks remains mandatory – were thin on Wednesday as Melbourne residents were still restricted from traveling no more than 25 kilometers (16 miles) from home and most city office blocks remained empty working from home. orders continue.

And while there are pedestrians in downtown Bourke Street Mall, it’s also clear from the number of stores now empty that many retail outlets and restaurants have not survived the closure, the second city since the pandemic began.

But many remain reporting record demands from townspeople exhausted by the pandemic, with some restaurants fully booked a month earlier now that they are no longer restricted to take-home.

“People really want to get out, to be able to sit outside at a table and have a cup of coffee or something to eat,” said cafe owner Maria Iatrou. “People are really enjoying it and it’s going to be a bit of a crush over the next few weeks while people get it off their system.”

Andrews refused until Monday, when he announced hours of relaxation after the state recorded no new infections in the past 24 hour period. It is the first time Melbourne has had a day without new infections since June 9 and the milestone is celebrated on social media as Donut Day.

Tuesday is another Donut Day, the first day in a row in Melbourne without new infections since March 5 and 6. Two new cases were reported on Wednesday, but they are infected by known cases and have been isolated.

Andrews thanked the retail and hospitality industry for working closely with his government to reopen safely.

“They know and understand deep down that we all need to be safe from COVID, we all have to follow the rules to protect staff, to protect customers, but also to protect these fragile things that we all build, Andrews said, referring to containment of the virus.

Iatrou said the lockdown was difficult both professionally and personally. The cafe struggles hard with takeout and delivery. To make matters worse, he lost his uncle and godmother to COVID-19 and was unable to attend their funeral due to pandemic restrictions.

They are in the care of the elderly, with most of Victoria’s 819 coronavirus deaths recorded. Only 88 people have died from COVID-19 elsewhere in Australia.

“Unless you’re here, it’s hard to understand what impact this has on you,” Iatrou said of the lockdown. “It is pressure to get through almost every day.”

Mary Poulakis said she was thrilled to have reopened her 35-year high-end clothing boutique on the outskirts of Coburg. He also said there was no way he would comply with the third lock.

“It’s messed up. It’s like a roller coaster. You go up, you go down. You’re open, you’re closed. You are active, you go, “said Poulakis.

“I remain open. I can’t close my door anymore, ”he added.

Silverman, the owner of a coffee business, said he was delighted to be open again not only for business reasons but also for the mental well-being of the staff, some of whom have been self-isolating at home for months.

His business is able to sell wholesale coffee to cafes and online, but he said cafes in the city center even though they are open now will struggle until office workers return.

“We were told that stay-at-home orders in terms of office workers may be in the future, of course in the New Year, which will make life in the CBD for retailers and hospitality very, very difficult,” he said, referring to Melbourne’s central business district.

———

McGuirk reported from Canberra, Australia

.



image source