ISLAMBAD: Prime Minister Imran Khan has once again changed the federal cabinet, appointing Shaukat Tareen as the new finance minister.
Tareen has replaced federal minister Hammad Azhar, who was appointed state finance minister a few weeks ago when the prime minister replaced him with Dr Abdul Hafeez Shaikh.
Here are some of the other changes made to the cabinet members’ portfolios:
- Hammad Azhar was appointed Minister of Energy replacing Omar Ayub
- Khusro Bakhtiar became Minister of Industry and Production
- Shibli Faraz was appointed Minister of Science and Technology, replacing Fawad Chaudhry
- Fawad Chaudhry was appointed Minister of Information and Broadcasting, replacing Shibli Faraz
- Omar Ayub becomes Minister of the Economy replacing Khusro Bakhtiar
Last month, Shibli Faraz conveyed the prime minister’s intention to overhaul the cabinet, saying he would bring in a new team.
Previously, the government had asked former finance minister Abdul Hafeez Shaikh to step down and appoint Hammad Azhar as his successor.
Faraz said the decision was made taking into account the realities of the state and the PTI regime wanting to provide assistance to the poor.
“When a new individual appears, they come up with new ideas,” he said.
Previous sources told me Geo News that the prime minister is considering bringing important changes to the cabinet on a “large scale”, adding that ministers who do not live up to expectations will be excluded from their portfolios.
‘Shaukat Tareen ready to work with government in 15-20 days’
Earlier, sources told Geo News that Shaukat Tareen is ready to work with the government as PM Imran Khan’s special assistant in finance and income.
It said Tareen, who had attended a key meeting of PM Imran Khan’s financial and economic team, had agreed to take the role but had asked for “15-20 days” to join.